Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Tue, 09 November 2004 02:28 Go to next message
Well after going to the midnight launch and recieved a copy of the highly coveted Halo 2 I played it and feel once again like a beginner.

One of the most controversial moves game developers can make is change the basic physics of the game. For all of us who have spent countless hours fragging and scheming with fellow players at LAN parties we have become accustomed to the gameplay of the original Halo. The new game, in many ways superior, has a highly altered set of physics that control player movement, weapons control and various other areas of the game.

While im sure in the coming days and weeks the new game will begin to feel like second nature again I really dont like the disconnected feeling you get when you are playing a seemingly familiar game with a completely different feel. My thoughts are you should have an option to play the new game with either the updated physics, or in the traditional Halo style, but perhaps im just becoming infelxible in my old age hehe

All that aside however I feel the game is fantastic, the level of detail is second to none, Deathmatch levels are engaging and very well designed, and the dual wielding option is a fantastic addition. Just have to get used to all the new goodies and im sure ill be conquering the Covenant in no time! Very Happy

Anyone care to share their thoughts/feelings on Halo2, afterall we have been waiting several years for a sequel...so what do you think?
  Send a private message to this user    
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Tue, 09 November 2004 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My co-worker tells me that the reason it's different is that you're on Earth now, not the ringworld. Same physics engine, different gravity.
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Tue, 09 November 2004 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is a very plausible theory, the only thing is that look sensetivity is higher than the original aswell.

I have only played the first level at this stage (in an orbital space station) so I will wait until I am on solid ground before i make any final calls.

on the other hand if the physics engine wasnt upgraded I suppose critics could turn around and say that not enough original thinking was used in the sequel and Bungie are 'resting on their lurels' as it were....
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Tue, 09 November 2004 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i nearly bought an XBOX just for halo, thats the best damn game. ill give halo2 a go and if its as good, i might have to buy one.
could anyone beat halo 1 on heroic single player? too dang hard.
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Tue, 09 November 2004 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It takes a bit of getting used to, especially if you come from mainly deathmatch experience (like myself) But when i bought a box mainly for halo, after I had played it heaps at a mates house, and a lot of patience I managed to clock it single player on legendary....

the main tricks to succeed is use cover effectively (as they start gettin real f!@#ing deadly with their aim) and remember grenades, head shots and covert pistol whips are your only friends Smile
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Tue, 09 November 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I watched my brother play it for 3 hours last night (from 1-4am) and I really liked it ( I have promised myself I won't play it till uni is done, lol, so I watch)

And it looked really good. Really. A whole nother level up from Halo1.

I found Halo a little easy to be honest, I had no dramas finishing it on the legendary setting and am glad to see this one is a little more difficult and complicated.
Dmonk86
Regular

August 2004
icon10.gif  Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Tue, 09 November 2004 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Halo 2 feelings? = Queazy! Confused

Haha i've played it with some friends for our halo 4 player mayhem .. but unlike the first one, the second one makes me feel real motion sickness fast! (This happened with my friends too!) I dont really know why but i guess i just gotta get used to it. Funny thing is tho we played the first one for hours without sickness...

Generally dot points

Dislikes -

The sicknesss ...

Player choosing when getting into multiplayer, instead of all choosing profile at once you have to choose individually.

The maaassterr controller. (the first player who enters halo2 chooses the options.)

The changing physics of the weapons .. like the shotgun is just crappy now. (We made a custom game called 'shotgun fun' where you have no shields and least amount of health with the first to 15 kills. Its short, sweet and deadly fun with 4 or 8 players! On the map wizard that is.) In the first halo you could play it and go crazy with one shot kills ... but with halo 2 the shotgun sucks. wierd ...

The changes to battle creek (Beaver creek .. what the?) and blood gultch.

Lack of description when you get to the end multiplayer menu with the medal tally ...

Whopping people in the head with the rear end of any weapon is weak! (unlike the first one which was deadly!)

The multiplayer start up menu when you are ready to play. It's not as easy and friendly as the first one.

Likes -

The awesome vehicles!

The fact that you can kick peoples ass's off the awesome vehicles hijacking it for your own pleasure!

Some of the new weapons are awesome..

Dual weapons! Go crazy ass John Woo dual pistol action!

The fact that you can be an alien or human.

The colorful options you can choose for you human .. and design for shoulder.

Single/Co-op player missions are pretty fun!

The vehicles can indeed be destroyed!

Uh i cant think of any more at the moment, but I guess in general it is good. It just feels different ... if it aint broke dont fix it .. y'know?

Rolling Eyes

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Tue, 09 November 2004 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BOught it today got to say I'm pretty impressed, was shocked with the vehicles mortality, cos was driving like in halo1 ie charge staright into battle only to find the window being shot out and the thing starting to smoke, bvrings equality back into the battle and makes you think more strategically, gotta love being able to hold two guns at once that makes it lots easier.
The tank is awesome rocket is better and reloads faster just a bit slow on the speed side thats all. Also noticed that the rocket launcher is heat seeking ie the rockets chase the ghosts. LOve the way the vehicles start to fall apart as you damage them. I love it and if i didn't have so much on in the next few days I think i'd play it straight.
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Tue, 09 November 2004 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much did people pay for it? My brother rang EB's, they said $90 + $10 for prebooking for the normal game, and the limited edition was sold out, and would be a 6 week wait on it Rolling Eyes . I told him to give me his money, I strolled down to Big W this morning and got the limited edition for $78.
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Tue, 09 November 2004 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh sh*t, this post isnt about the game but did anyone read yesterday daily telegraph?
some 11 yr old kid (1st in line mind you) lined up to buy the game at Myers in Pitt st (for over 5 hours) only to be rejected because he was underage. HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAA priceless.

[Updated on: Tue, 09 November 2004 21:26]

old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Tue, 09 November 2004 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IMO its not all its cracked up to be. Im already a little bored with it. Maybe beacause Im only early into the game but I havent seen any new enemies yet and it gets a little boring shooting the same aliens just in different rooms/scenes

Also has anyone noticed that the xbox struggles a bit? Shapes will load and half a second later the detail will load on top? Its really starting to annoy me.

Doom 3 gets my vote for best 2004 shooter
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Tue, 09 November 2004 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joyride wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 08:25

oh sh*t, this post isnt about the game but did anyone read yesterday daily telegraph?
some 11 yr old kid (1st in line mind you) lined up to buy the game at Myers in Pitt st (for over 5 hours) only to be rejected because he was underage. HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAA priceless.

bahahhhaahah Laughing
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Wed, 10 November 2004 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bought collectors edition shiny case and bonus the making of DVD 83.76 - 5% staff discount, 30 bucks worth of gift vouchers from school awards =me pay about 50 bucks for halo2
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Wed, 10 November 2004 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dmonk86 wrote on Tue, 09 November 2004 19:37

Haha i've played it with some friends for our halo 4 player mayhem .. but unlike the first one, the second one makes me feel real motion sickness fast! (This happened with my friends too!) I dont really know why but i guess i just gotta get used to it. Funny thing is tho we played the first one for hours without sickness...

Generally dot points

Dislikes -

The sicknesss ...

Player choosing when getting into multiplayer, instead of all choosing profile at once you have to choose individually.

The maaassterr controller. (the first player who enters halo2 chooses the options.) yes, that does suck...but can be gotten used to however, just not as user friendly as the original

The changing physics of the weapons .. like the shotgun is just crappy now. (We made a custom game called 'shotgun fun' where you have no shields and least amount of health with the first to 15 kills. Its short, sweet and deadly fun with 4 or 8 players! On the map wizard that is.) In the first halo you could play it and go crazy with one shot kills ... but with halo 2 the shotgun sucks. wierd ... I found it to be practically the same, except reload time is slower....but more realistic hehe

The changes to battle creek (Beaver creek .. what the?) and blood gultch. yay!! new maps, and from what I saw of them they are cool...new multiplayer maps were a must for me!!

Lack of description when you get to the end multiplayer menu with the medal tally ...There is a scrolling option either with the directional controller or the trigger buttons which brings up different stats, even new stuff like average life span, hit accuracy, its really much better than the original

Whopping people in the head with the rear end of any weapon is weak! I have found that it is just as power ful, however you have to be closer than you were in Halo... otherwise it misses, but one strike still kills outright. What i found that sucks is that when your dual wielding, if you try to pistol whip someone you simply drop the other weapon, and have to retrieve it later...why couldnt he holster it or something...(unlike the first one which was deadly!)

The multiplayer start up menu when you are ready to play. It's not as easy and friendly as the first one. This is true....the layout of the menu in Halo2 is more like each user 'logs in' and that could also explain why one control becomes 'master'

Likes -

The awesome vehicles!

The fact that you can kick peoples ass's off the awesome vehicles hijacking it for your own pleasure!

Some of the new weapons are awesome..

Dual weapons! Go crazy ass John Woo dual pistol action!

The fact that you can be an alien or human.

The colorful options you can choose for you human .. and design for shoulder.

Single/Co-op player missions are pretty fun!

The vehicles can indeed be destroyed!

Uh i cant think of any more at the moment, but I guess in general it is good. It just feels different ... if it aint broke dont fix it .. y'know?

Rolling Eyes

matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Wed, 10 November 2004 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just finished it on easy...who was disappointed with the ending a wee bit? Unless the higher difficulties have another level or something, i was a bit let down by the ending.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Wed, 10 November 2004 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EASY?! I am dissappointed mattt! Wink Razz

I intend on starting on at least the one above normal the first time through.. easy like cheating yo!

and btw, PLEEEEEASE no one spoil the ending 'cause I can't play till uni is over next week!
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Wed, 10 November 2004 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah no spoilers here Cool I started on normal, then about halfway through I started where I left off on easy. Started again on legendary...holy crap its hard. Shocked
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Wed, 10 November 2004 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i havent even had a chance to get it yet Sad
but i swear if anyone spoils it i will make it my lifes mission to seek u down and dispatch u like the covenant foe u are Laughing Laughing
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Wed, 10 November 2004 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Covenant "foe". Funny you say that. Wink-wink, nudge-nudge. Laughing
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Wed, 10 November 2004 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had a ball playing it last night (hope i'm not too tierd for work now)haha
the graphics are great and the effects/sounds introduced to the vehicles and some of the weapons are awesome. a few new weapons to play with too.
the banchie is awesome to fly, if you take it straight up on boost and leave the boost trigger on and let it fall back, you can make a spiral pattern in the sky like jets do off their wings when you manuevor it around.
i busted my warthog and it blew up, kinda brings more realism into the game when you can damage things. Very Happy
still very much like halo 1 to me, but the extras this one has just make it much more enjoyable to play.

only thing i dont like so far is the vertical split screen, anyone know who to change it back to a horizontal split screen??
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Sat, 13 November 2004 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is cool, i had the box set on widescreen.

we had a hub game last night with 3 boxes and tv's, only 5 of us playing though, but it was AWESOME!! Very Happy

extremely tierd at work today though, not even going to turn the damn thing on tonight.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Sun, 14 November 2004 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Finished it today now for legendary, I love using all the vehicles specially when you can just stela them when others are in the. Favourite = melee wraith tank throw in granede and run.
Nothing wrong with the ending really just leads you on to the next and the next and the next versions of the game
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Mon, 15 November 2004 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I haven't really played the campaign side of the game all that much but have been playing it via XBconnect and have to say that 20 player games are the bomb Cool
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Mon, 15 November 2004 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Feral - nods to the screensplit - thats shitting me to no end ?

are you top and bottom split screen now ?

Ie just change off widescreen to get the original way back ?
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Tue, 16 November 2004 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very very cool. Co-op is awesome as usual. The great thing is that on Legendary, co-op is a big challenge rather than the walk through that Halo was. I love it. there are some things that are different, but overall the game is still the old Halo that we all grew to love and cherish. Smile
kyler
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Thu, 18 November 2004 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm shitted by the frikin split screen too. I bought the game 100% for co-op and mulitplayer with my brother so this really dissapoints me.

Apparently the game will automatically select split across the middle or down the middle based on if you have a widescreen TV or not. How the hell do I turn widescreen off? Is it a TV setting or an xbox setting? It does this on both of my tv's, neither of which are widescreen! *cry cry cry* I'm getting used to it but it still really sucks.

Someone provide some insight!
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Thu, 18 November 2004 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
easy fix remove disk let xbxo box load up it's menu screen, go to the video settings and you can set whether it is a widescreen etc. Ha dno probs with mine straight across the middle the way I like it. I found the game much easier to play in singleplayer than coop the aim seems to be different in co-op, all in all a brillian t gaem and you gotta love how much more interactive the environements are, you can blow most things up and the multiplayer maps are pretty cool, although some are vertially same as halo one and othere are just repeted with different weather it seems. Love waterwrks get in the banshee and shoot the staligmite like things off the roof then watch them fall.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Thu, 18 November 2004 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Mon, 15 November 2004 21:03

Feral - nods to the screensplit - thats shitting me to no end ?

are you top and bottom split screen now ?

Ie just change off widescreen to get the original way back ?

yeah man, i put the x-box screen setting to letterbox to make it have the halo 1 horizontal split screen.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Thu, 18 November 2004 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
been playing it for some hours now that I have finished uni

best shooter I have ever played. breathtaking to watch, it's like hollywood but I am the director Very Happy

and almost non-existent loading times!!
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Fri, 10 December 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, i rented this on tuesday, have only played it a lil bit since, however i have to return it and was wondering how much further i have to go in the game til i'm finished.

i'm up to the level called 'Uprising' on normal.

i'll definately say that this was harder than the original
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Sun, 12 December 2004 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What are they doing with the new games? ive notices, san andreas, halo 2 and need for speed underground 2 ALL HAVE PRObLEMS WITH LAG!!!

the screen loads up way too slow, making me want food :/

thats pretty much the only thing i dont like about halo 2, seriously, an 8% drop in graphics quality would have been worth it just to see cut scenes have a decent frame rate, been to busy to touch either the box or PS2 as of late, guess ill have some fun tomorrow Smile

oh, and xbox live? it rocks, i got halo for $97, plus an extra $50 for xbox live, best $50 ive ever invested, really brings the (shit)box (not anymore Very Happy) to life.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Sun, 12 December 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

making me want food :/

you sure that was the slow loads?

Very Happy

i dont play campaign much, i like link-up games. even though i like this one heaps, it isnt as good as i thought/hoped it would be. needs more maps, and better ones.
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Mon, 13 December 2004 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SilverGhost wrote on Tue, 09 November 2004 14:24

It is a very plausible theory, the only thing is that look sensetivity is higher than the original aswell.

Dmonk86 wrote on Tue, 09 November 2004 18:37

i adjusted the look sensitivity so that its a little slower, solved all these problems for me. much more halo 1 like Smile
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Mon, 13 December 2004 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RE my previous post, who has finished it and how long have i got to go? want to know whether i should hire it again before school holidays start and i won't have a chance in hell of hiring it for ages...

personally i find xbox games too short Confused although if i had someone to play against in multiplayer i'm sure they would be better.

*me thinks of how i used to own all my mates in goldeneye on 64*
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Halo 2, thoughts, feelings Tue, 14 December 2004 06:13 Go to previous message
dood, noone can beat me in goldeneye in the complex level with proximity mines... NO ONE! bahahaha and i never owned a nintendo. Rolling Eyes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:QUESTION: Canon Direct Print Printer
Next Topic:yr12 jersey
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 17:36:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073778629302979 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.