Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Which engine to go???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
turboalfa
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Which engine to go??? Tue, 09 November 2004 00:55 Go to next message
Hi,

I am new to the site and new to the world of Toyota's. (Nissan mainly so far)

I just bought a OZ Spec Sprinter for $900 it's in good condition, but paint is a bit ordinary (anyway that doesn't matter)

I bought it to be a drift car mainly, it will still be registered and driven regularly. I can't decide what engine i want to go. Although i won't proberly being changing it until christmas i want to make up my mind so i can get some parts together.

THE CHOICES:

4AGE: 80-88kw, not really an option i don't think

4AGE: 100kw, thinking very hard about this one, maybe do a few mods and just have fun. Hopefully be quite reliable and i won't feel guilty reving the shit out of it regularly. Should be a cheap conversion, but how much cheaper than more powerful engines. Cheap aftermarket parts. Concerned that i will want more power in the future. Engine doesn't have any cheap power options in the future.

4AGZE: Wasn't considering this until i talked with a few people, but it seems like it is a real challenger now. I imagine the supercharger would produce good torque for drift. Enough scope for power in the future.

20Valve: Latish model engine that produces good power. Similiar price to 4AGZE. NA reliability.

3SGTE: Imagine it would be a expensive conversion. Is it worth it?

CA18DET: My favourite engine in the world. Would love to do this, concerned the costs would add up though. Would feel guilty reving the shitter out of it all the time, But makes great power for little money.

What do you guys think, is there any other engines worth considering. Am i overlooking anything with these engines. +'s & -'s of any engine.

Any help/opinions/examples would be greatly appreciated.

Also why do very few people run coil overs on the rear of AE86's.

Thanks guys and sorry for the long post.

[Updated on: Tue, 09 November 2004 00:59]

Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Which engine to go??? Tue, 09 November 2004 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
let me welcome you to the search function of this forum (located in the top right corner). All these questions have been discussed in depth.

Yes, 3s-gte is expensive, and if you're going to go ca18 (which is a dinosaur engine), why not just go an SR20-DET ?

and you're talking about wildly different power and cost conversions here... the difference between a 4a-ge and an sr20-det in both price and power is more than double! what do you want out of the car? When you have the answer to that question, then think about the endine/suspension setup Smile
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Which engine to go??? Tue, 09 November 2004 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sr20-det for sure
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Which engine to go??? Tue, 09 November 2004 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh just go the 3S-GTE, its very easy to do and not expensive at all.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which engine to go??? Tue, 09 November 2004 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not as easy as a 2JZ-GTE. Make sure you use a JDM T-series diff though.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Which engine to go??? Tue, 09 November 2004 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats true, the 2J would be the better option.
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Which engine to go??? Tue, 09 November 2004 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ca18 dinosaur and sr20 not?? WTF
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Which engine to go??? Tue, 09 November 2004 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sr20's arent cast iron so they dont add much weight over 4ac and they will make huge reliable power and there is more aftermarket support for sr20's. They are also a dime a dozen. The more you look at it the better it sounds.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Which engine to go??? Tue, 09 November 2004 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the ca18 is lighter than the sr20 despite it being cast iron.
turboalfa
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: Which engine to go??? Tue, 09 November 2004 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I won't be going a SR20. Would far rather a CA18 than a SR. especially considering you can have a mildly worked CA for the price of a stock SR. And monkeymajik is right about the weight thing. Due to the SR's aluminium block it has to be far thicker than it would be if it was cast iron so it still weighs abit.

I have been searching for the past few days, but i have trouble finding my own threads let alone others.

I want Fun for dollar out of this car.

Im concerned that a 4AGE won't have enough power for the open QLD Raceway circuit.

Thanks,
DuMp
Regular

June 2004
Re: Which engine to go??? Tue, 09 November 2004 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
err....thats right err. didnt the CA18 come in the nissan U12 pintara. my mates got one and its a bucket of shit
andrewa
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: Which engine to go??? Tue, 09 November 2004 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just out of curiosity, what isthe smallest/lightest car.

A sr20 conversion is commmon in, that doesnt involve many issues and costs?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Which engine to go??? Tue, 09 November 2004 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've had part in putting an SR20 in a Micra before Smile Rolling Eyes
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Which engine to go??? Wed, 10 November 2004 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the Pintara probably had a Carbied CA18, not a CA18DET which is EFI, twin cam & turboed.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Which engine to go??? Wed, 10 November 2004 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3K would work well.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Which engine to go??? Wed, 10 November 2004 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh fuk yeh, 3k all the way

heheheheh

just go a basic 4AGE 100KW with zorst, CAI and maybe mild cams, can be done cheaply, the top aussie AE86 drifters use the 4A, u dont really need huge power for the willowbank track, did u go to the drift nats where there was all those sydney, melbourne and adelaide ppl, the 2 AE86 4AGE's were the best out there, except the 800hp twin turbo 406ci cleveland powered "eleanor" mustang Shocked , and the RB25DET AE86

ah fuck it, 1UZ, or 18RG Confused
turboalfa
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: Which engine to go??? Thu, 11 November 2004 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for all your input and knowledge people.

I have decided to go a CA18DET!!!

And why do very few people run coil overs on the rear of AE86?

Now i have to decide what colour to paint it :{

Thanks,
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Which engine to go??? Thu, 11 November 2004 04:04 Go to previous message
It seems like you arived at this decision before you even posted..
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4agte oil cooler intstall
Next Topic:2T-G fuel injected V 2TGEU with haltech f7b
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 14:08:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058720111846924 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.