Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Advice on what i should do here.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HyEnA^
Occasional Poster

May 2002

icon5.gif  Advice on what i should do here. Tue, 22 October 2002 13:16 Go to next message
Hey All,
Hy situation is that i stuffed my 7AFE motor in my 94 Sprinter (AE102).
I need to purchase a new motor, pref re-con.
I need some advice on where are good places to get low kms engines, recon etc.
I'm contemplating whether to go 7AFE, 4AGE 20V or 4AGZE.
I did get a price off a local guy for a 7AFE installed for $1400.

All the advice will be helpful thank you. Smile

Send a private message to this user    
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: Advice on what i should do here. Tue, 22 October 2002 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Before you even consider spending $1400 on putting another of the same engine in, what exactly is "stuffed" with your motor.

Most Toyota motors are pretty hardy and can probably be rebuilt for a fraction of the cost of a new motor.

However, this will still leave you with a 7AFE Crying or Very Sad

In my opinion you should be saving for a 20v or a GZE but this is going to end up costing more than double the price you have been quoted for the 7A, especially if you aren't able to do any of it yourself.
HyEnA^
Occasional Poster

May 2002

Re: Advice on what i should do here. Wed, 23 October 2002 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I believe i have spoken to some people and they say that i have done the big end or something like that.
One friend said that it looks like a new engine. Another said rebuild is possible but another piston could go and yeah.

Kind of stuck with money, well no money til i visit the bank.
Doesn't mean i can spend thousands on a sweet engine, cause i already owe the bank close to $12,000.

A friend showed me a link for a half cut 4AGZE for about $2195.

This local guy who can do the engine install can be done in like 2-3 days and comes with a 6 month warranty.

As i am away for a week as of next week, trying to organise something for the time i am away.

Another thing is that i don't have the know how to do this mod myself.

Thanx
Sprocket
Regular

October 2002
Re: Advice on what i should do here. Wed, 23 October 2002 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It all sounds a bit odd to me.
Are you still driving this car around? If you are, it can't be that bad. If one of the guys is telling you that it's the bottom end, maybe you ran it out of oil. I just don't get the comment "Another piston could go"
What are the symptoms of this 'stuffed' motor?

I had a mate with an old 323 which ran for 2 months with a blown head gasket, turning the oil into margarine, it's completely rooted now, but it still runs!
HyEnA^
Occasional Poster

May 2002

Re: Advice on what i should do here. Wed, 23 October 2002 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On the freeway heading down to the motorshow on Sunday, bit of a knocking sound in the engine. This sound progressively got worse, and in the end i had to get a tow truck to take me home.

Just had a mechanic look at the car and take off the rocker-cover (i think thats it) and he said along the lines of that the piston has a crack in it.

The car does start, but with a LOUD knocking sound, i do not drive this car. As it is stationed at my parents house.

I do believe the car was running low on oil, but not empty. As thought it did just register on the dip stick.

As the comment "another piston could go", if i were to get the engine rebuilt, another piston could come up with the same problem. Meaning yet again i would have to fix this.

Thank You
Sprocket
Regular

October 2002
Re: Advice on what i should do here. Wed, 23 October 2002 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is two types of piston crack that I have some info on from a book I got from a German piston manufacturer: Kolbenschmidt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. Piston fractures due to contact between piston crown and cylinder head.

Assessment
The hard impacts between the piston crown and cylinder head cause such sever piston vibration that cracks develop extremely rapidly, preferentially in the skirt region. In the case of pistons with an oil control ring below the piston pin, this nearly always results in skirt breakage in the region of the lower oil ring groove.

Possible causes
1. The clearance between the piston crown and cylinder head at the top dead centre was too small. Caution: pisonts with diameter of about 120mm grow towards the cylinder head in operation by some tenths mm due to the differing thermal expansion of the moving parts and the cylinder block.
2.The cylinder head gasket must ahve the specified thickness.
3.Connecting rod bearings which have excessive clearnace or are worn out, especially in conncetion with over-revving when running downhill

2.Piston fractures in the pin boss.

Assesment
Boss cracks occur due to overload and are favoured by shortage of oil in the pin bearing. A pin boss crack which was initiated by overload then continues to spread under normal loading and finally leads to cleavage of the piston.

Possible causes
1.Combustion irregularities, especially hard combustion due to ignition delay
2.Excessive or inappropriate use of starting aids for cold starting
3. The cylinder has filled with water or guel whilst the engine was not operated (water or fuel lock.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So yeah, if the piston is cracked, yes you're right, the motor is stuffed.
One thing to remember, if you're going to fix the motor, you don't want the same problem happening twice, so check oil and make sure you're carby's choke system is working properly to supply fuel at cold start. Anything other than that, it's a combination of buildups and stresses over the years, combining with bad luck.

If you don't have the money, don't spend more than what is necessary. Just fix the 7AFE for now, wait until you aren't so far in debt and do a conversion in a couple of years time when you can ACTUALLY afford it.

[Updated on: Wed, 23 October 2002 03:16]

HyEnA^
Occasional Poster

May 2002

Re: Advice on what i should do here. Wed, 23 October 2002 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx for that information.
Little oil in the engine might be my problem.
I can always get a loan extension through the bank, not a problem there.
Just for the time being, i would like the car to be going again, perhaps as you suggested 4AGZE at a later date, when i perhaps got the loan under 10g would be a good idea.
I do rev the car out a bit, but not constantly. Only usually no more than 4000rpm, sometimes up to 5000rpms. Normal cruising i do about 3000rpm is a good coast driving.

Oh well, recon time

Thank You
Sprocket
Regular

October 2002
Re: Advice on what i should do here. Wed, 23 October 2002 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The motor should be fine for reving to the normal rev range (providing the engine is warm), maybe it got given a hard time by the previous owner, you'll never really know I guess. Sometimes something someone does really doesn't show up until a long time later, hence some people don't buy anything but new.
Oh well, good luck! Sad
AE82TwinCam
Regular

May 2002
Re: Advice on what i should do here. Wed, 23 October 2002 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a very much similar problem with my old 4age, I went away on holidays and when I got back started driving it again and this knocking noise developed... I thought the engine was screwed but I checked my oil and had forgotten that quite a bit of oil had leaked out, so I did a complete change, fired her up and she was sweet... try that before wasting money on a new engine...

-Andrew
Sprocket
Regular

October 2002
Re: Advice on what i should do here. Wed, 23 October 2002 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyEnA^ wrote on Wed, 23 October 2002 12:51

...and he said along the lines of that the piston has a crack in it.

The car does start, but with a LOUD knocking sound....

I very much doubt an oil change will fix it.
HyEnA^
Occasional Poster

May 2002

icon8.gif  Re: Advice on what i should do here. Wed, 23 October 2002 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would doubt an oil change would fix my problem.
I did put 1L of oil in the car, and did nothin.
Had a mechanic look at it today, and he said it was a cracked piston. Meaning possible new engine.
F**K i hate cars.

When i rev the car, sounds gets louder.
HyEnA^
Occasional Poster

May 2002

icon7.gif  Re: Advice on what i should do here. Thu, 24 October 2002 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some luck i spose on getting a 7AFE installed.

A mechanic i had look at the car said $2100 for the engine + labour. YEAH RIGHT
$2000 i could get a half cut 4AGZE.

One or 2 local and Sydney places have quoted me approx $1000 for the engine, with approx $400-500 to install it. Which includes warranty aswell.

So finally some good news has come out of this.

Thanx sprocket for some advice.

Thank You
Sprocket
Regular

October 2002
Re: Advice on what i should do here. Thu, 24 October 2002 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No sweat.
That sounds like the right kind of price for an engine swap, it may not be completely brand new however, maybe a low km 2nd hand unit with warranty, or they might fix yours (doubt it). A mate of mine had his Suzuki Swift GTi motor changed for $1000 plus labour, and that was a 2nd hand tested motor with warranty, still goes strong too....even though he hasn't looked after it.
It's not like you're going to be keeping the car for 5yrs + and you need a brand new motor anyway, especially if you want to do a conversion later on down the track.
Just make sure the warranty is up to scratch, read all the fine print and ask the history of where the motor (if it's a switcharoo) is getting supplied from and if it was tested, try to get the results (rare, but worth a try)

Cheers,
HyEnA^
Occasional Poster

May 2002

Re: Advice on what i should do here. Sat, 26 October 2002 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I liked the idea to get it from somewhere qualified to install the engine. That way I have a warranty with it and all.
Good idea to check whats what with there warranty.
I know the price is for the egine alone. No one mentioned to me that we will swap the engine and refund you $200 for the old one. So im assuming i can keep mine one and perhaps sell it for $100 for part.
Pistons might be rooted, but i believe most other parts could be fine.
Problem i found that the imported 7AFE alot have direct injection, as for mine at the moment i have them on the manifold.

I don't know if this causes a problem or not.

Sprocket
Regular

October 2002
Re: Advice on what i should do here. Sun, 27 October 2002 23:54 Go to previous message
Usually the price of the engine change, inlcudes giving yours over on an exchange basis, but you may be lucky and be able to hang onto your old motor.
Depends....ask the mechanic that quoted you, most of them I know, even if you were allowed to keep your motor, wouldn't mention that you could, just so they could sell it themselves and make more $$$ off the exchange.
Some people don't bother hanging onto the old motor, cause it ends up gathering dust anyway. About the only reason you would wan to is if you've just spent a tonne of money servicing it and replacing the injection parts, and don't want to lose them. (That's if the exchange is a complete motor, not just block and head)
I'm not sure about the import 7AFE's I thought they were all one and the same anyway.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Toymodders - I want your blood.
Next Topic:Rust Converter?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:29:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050361156463623 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.