Toymods » Members Rides » twin turbo UZ185 *1st 1/4 mile run*

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Fri, 22 October 2004 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried to have a look at the video file and couldn't view it from work (damn crappy government computers and their outdated software).

I have some good footage of the GT8 from Wakefield (courtesy of the two video cameras I had people man whilst I was out on the track), the sound of that thing on boost was excellent Evil or Very Mad . I think I have the infamous smoking spin on film too!

Excellent work!

Good luck at the dyno day this weekend.

Send a private message to this user    
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Fri, 22 October 2004 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any chance you could email an mpeg bite of the smoking spin? Would love to see that 3rd egar burnout from outside the car Smile
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Fri, 22 October 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats fuckin crazy Very Happy
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Fri, 22 October 2004 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll check which tape caught the burnout spin as I had two cameras there, one digital and one old school hi8 or whatever they are called.

I have a feeling it was on the pov camera, but I will check.

I gather that you saw the photo sequence that a friend of mine caught on digital still camera, it was a great series of shots of the spin. If not I can email them.

I will investigate tapes and report back.
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Fri, 22 October 2004 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Has it been dyno'd yet at it's max PSI?

[Updated on: Fri, 22 October 2004 09:49]

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Fri, 22 October 2004 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

and some

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: twin turbo UZ185 Fri, 22 October 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha fuckl yeah.. 6.5 psi and 260rwkw.. thats what im talkin about!.. rips an awesome burnout
whats a gt4 weigh?(minusing the 4wd and all shit
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Mon, 25 October 2004 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I lost about 80kg all up over a stocky.

No, only dynoed at 6.5 psi so far as no point trying to push any more hp thru the tiny 2.5 inch final exhaust.

Once i have finished the exhaust and sorted a coupla other issues i'll wind it up to 12psi and maybe on to 15psi if i think it'll take it.

Aiming for a lazy 350rwkw which is already well beyond the driveable limit.
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: twin turbo UZ185 Mon, 25 October 2004 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man you got to bring this to dyno day in january Smile
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Mon, 25 October 2004 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not much point unless i get the next round of mods done.

When in Jan?

I'm off os for the next 5 weeks so that's a big dint in time to work on the car...not to mention the job list the wife has (no of which include anything remotely automotive)
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: twin turbo UZ185 Tue, 26 October 2004 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol.. my car flatenned in 1st second and 3rd spins it up easily
id LOVE to see yours
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Wed, 27 October 2004 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How'd we go with that spin footage from Wakefield, did it turn up?

Dyno day went well, laid down WI assisted (inhibited actually) 250rwkw which comfortably trumpted the competition. Admittedly most of the other machinery was pretty stock. Good to see the car is consistent though.

Lets see if i can get this image from the drag strip posted......nope Smile

westlife
Regular

September 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Wed, 27 October 2004 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your car has to be my favourite overall ride on these ToyMods forums.That clips awesome Very Happy
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Wed, 27 October 2004 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Westlife....i can't deny it, it is hell fun. I still love my AWD GT4 but the RWD version kills it in nearly every respect....wet weather driving is really the only time i'd put money on the White car over the red one
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Wed, 27 October 2004 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

How'd we go with that spin footage from Wakefield, did it turn up?

NO good I am afraid, the tape I had at my house (mostly of my car lapping the track and sliding off on occasion Rolling Eyes ) has the aftermath of smoke and the GT8 driving off (not good footage), the other tape had been taped over (the problem with someone else doing the filming and not appreciating the contents of a tape and taping some other crap over the whole lot).

Oh well.

We could probably get that photo sequence of the spin and print them off and flick through them really fast to have a 6 picture animation that lasts 0.3 seconds Laughing

Cheers.
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Wed, 27 October 2004 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No worries, not one of my finest moments anyway...although i place full blame on the Corolla tempting me with the chance of an inside pass Smile

The photo sequence catches the action anyway
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Mon, 01 November 2004 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dusted off the old G-Tech and found some empty blacktop to open out the beast on Sun arvo. Hmmmm can anyone say lack of traction...

I did 10 runs and 2nd gear launches turned out to be the best option...1st gear was a waste of time. Massive wheelspin in and thru 3rd and even 4th was a bit sketchy. The wheelspin was so bad that it didn't only cost me ET as you would expect but was hurting trap speed too.

Best result was a 13.5@185kph. This was on the 150rwkw setting with the WI on. Not exactly slow but with good traction you'd shave 1 and maybe even 1.5 secs off that time.

Had a bit of fun after with a TT 300ZX. After he was thoroughly toasted i answered his question of what
is done to the engine with an honest..nothing, totally stock internals on 6.5 pound...i might have neglected to mention it's a V8 but if he couldn't pick that for himself???? Wink LOL his car was sic maaate
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Mon, 01 November 2004 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
owned him nicely ey? hahaha

i'm not surprised on the traction issues though.
i know someone with a manual 5L V8 commo, ran 14.99 on 20" wheels and was still spinning Confused

[Updated on: Mon, 01 November 2004 02:59]

JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Mon, 01 November 2004 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
opps, that should be 250rwkw not 150 Razz
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: twin turbo UZ185 Mon, 01 November 2004 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hah i read that and was like uhhhh 150!? This car is sextacular
CelicaGTV6
Newcomer

April 2004

Re: twin turbo UZ185 Tue, 09 November 2004 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
More photos! Smile

I'd like to see if the interior looks different with the changes you made to the floor pan. Also, hows the rear end holding up? Did you have to fab a custom bellhousing to fit the w58 to the engine?
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: twin turbo UZ185 Sun, 14 November 2004 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Justen

When you get back from overseas, let me know of your next planned gtech testing session, as we may need to do some "side by side gtech runs" Razz

Cheers
Phil
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Mon, 15 November 2004 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The bell housings are off the shelf from a couple of modder shops here in Oz.

The JZA70 LSD is doing the job just fine currently.

Interior is as stock....we got lucky and the modded floor pan still allowed us to fit all the stock interior....just
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Mon, 15 November 2004 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha Smile

go justen Wink

As a side note the 3sgte engine that came out of the red one is going extra strong now + is off for its first rounds of power hikes soon - Dunno if it will ever reach 250 AWKW but it would be awesomme to see it do so Wink

I think we christen this Red UZ185 the " anti traction " by the sounds of that wheelspin Wink

JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Tue, 16 November 2004 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Phil, we'll need to find a wide piece of road cause you kind of drift a bit wheel spinning in 3rd at sped Smile

Stu, good to hear it's finally coming together for you. Let me know what plans you have and could be i can sort something for you.
The Wombat
Regular

February 2004
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Tue, 16 November 2004 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HOLY VIRGIN MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!! That is such a beast Evil or Very Mad
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Tue, 16 November 2004 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justen - you know most of the plans mate - i think ive babbled them enough times on the phone ! ( haha )

Anyway shes off to get the St205 brakes , battery , and starter motor sorted this week - nice little trip to the engineers while im sunning it up in QLD Wink

Ill contact you asap re stuff i might need in the near future !

BTW - your work email wont let my emails thru - pesky email screener thing
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Thu, 25 November 2004 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FUUUUCK MEEEEEE!! Shocked
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Thu, 09 December 2004 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hiya all,
For those that are unaware the beast is featured in the latest issue of SPEED...p 52. A couple tech blunders but overall a good article and the images are great.

They missed a few thankyous that should have been included, especially Simon my fabricater mate, Mos the wiring master, Jack who helped with the last minute Dubbo assembly panic and Mitch who helped me drag the car back from Vic in the 1st place on a mega road trip.

Now i just have to find the time to get the ast fine tuning done and start getting some real performance out of the thing.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: twin turbo UZ185 Sat, 11 December 2004 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simply WOW.
I cant imagine what itll be like with your target of 350rwkw!

A couple of questions if you dont mind...
Where did you get the bellhousing/flywheel to run the W58?
And what compression is the 1UZ running at?

[Updated on: Sat, 11 December 2004 04:17]

JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Sun, 12 December 2004 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWP - the bellhousing is from Dellow but CRS also do one. The flywheel is integral with the twinplate clutch i'm running from Direct Clutch.

I'm upgrading to a R154 soon so the bellhousing and a CRS flywheel/clutch kit i also have and the W58 will all be up for sale.
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Mon, 13 December 2004 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.eastonchang.com/index1.html

Coincidentally found this whilst reading another forum; tis the piccy from Speed. Enjoy! Smile
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Mon, 13 December 2004 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah Easton was the photographer for the shoot. Super keen and the results suggest he know's his shit. He really liked a coupla shots, i guess that pic was one of them Smile
westlife
Regular

September 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Tue, 14 December 2004 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fcuk that photo is awesome Cool
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Tue, 14 December 2004 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just got the mag off a mate, pretty good article... they make you look so modest about the whole thing. hahaha

great pics, esp the one shown above and the one where the car is in a cloud of smoke Very Happy I loved the opening line...

Speed guy...

Lets not beat around the bush. One of the wildest conversion jobs SPEED has ever seen anywhere is this crazy beast before you.

can't wait to see this car when its running to its full potential.
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Sun, 19 December 2004 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You and me both mate Smile

Gave a coupla big jap bikes a run for their money the other day. From 3rd gear on i could pull away noticeably and gapped them big time through the twisty stuff. Standing start and from anything under 80kph they would do me though. They were nutters, doing wheelstands (front and rear) and even a bunny hop. They were impressed enough to have a quick chat at an intersection before ducking and weaving off through traffic to their early deaths.

I still have a bit of chassis tuning to do as the car felt a little rolly in the rear at speed. It's going to be a difficult compromise to keep the rear soft enough to get traction and stiff enough for high speed stability. You'd hope the TEINs are tuneable enough to get it about right though.

At the moment i don't appear to need more grunt but once the chassis is sorted enough to take it i'll be chasing more for sure...and it's there in spades.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Mon, 20 December 2004 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hah = are you changing the seat trims to brown justen - that thing with more power has the potential to scare the S**T out of folks Wink

PS: anti lift kits - anymore news ?
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Mon, 20 December 2004 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No sorry mate, been too busy building a 2 story steel deck out the back of my joint to woory too much about future car mods.

I have to sit down with Bates head tech guy in the new year to discuss rear end geometry for the red beast so i'll get the anti lift kit specs sorted at the same time.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Mon, 20 December 2004 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no probs - see what goes on - keen to hear what is sorted out as i think it would be handy
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: twin turbo UZ185 Fri, 31 December 2004 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A Lovely piece of work Justin .... having heard early on about the project I was wondering how it was going to turn out. Seems it came out just fine Smile . Have you had enough runs to get a feel for the overall handling compared to stock yet? I see you mentioned you lost weight overall... was that in the front end? I would have thought the 1UZ would be heavier up the front?

Quote:

I reckon he's earned himself a few laps around Wakefield at the wheel...what do you think Mos, you up for that?

Mos is shitting himself just thinking that he might get behind the wheel .... hell drive it like a Nana for fear of dropping it off the black Razz oh and for god sake tell him hes got a gt4 that could have the same specs sitting in the yard and to do something with it before it rusts to pieces or the grass reclaims the roof again! Smile

Make sure you let us know when your heading to wakefield Smile

Once again .. a great piece of machinery.. Well done!!

[Updated on: Fri, 31 December 2004 21:44]

JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Wed, 05 January 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Michael,
The UZ driveline package is actually lighter than the 3SGTE driveline by a surprising 80kg or so. But better again it shifts the weight to the rear of the car improving the weight bias from 60:40 to around 55:45 Front to rear. Makes for a noticeably better handling car with sharper turn in.

I still have some final sorting to do as the car was a tad twichy at high speed the other week as i was blowing off a coupla large capacity jap bikes thru the twisties. At this stage i think i just need a larger rear sway bar (i'll get the Whiteline adjustable as per my other GrpA) and then some final tweeking of the TEIN shock settings. No inherent problems that's for sure although i have lost a bit of turning circle running the 18x8...you get that Wink
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Wed, 05 January 2005 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JustenGT4 wrote on Wed, 05 January 2005 13:11

No inherent problems that's for sure although i have lost a bit of turning circle running the 18x8...you get that Wink

What a bugger of a problem to have.

I'm working on Dubbo ..... chat to ya soon
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: twin turbo UZ185 Fri, 14 January 2005 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Justen, a great effort mate... have you sorted out the rear-end suspension issues yet?

Mos helped me sort out the wiring issues with my car as well, knows his shit that's for sure. Wink Now I can run my Power FC in it without wondering if it will crank over or not.

Still having issues with my engine however, cracked head doesn't help that much. Rolling Eyes Hopefully I'll get mine back on the road before the end of the month and I'll get it road-tuned and dyno-tuned, but I'm not sure of what figures it will put out. It's a full ST205 drivetrain so I don't know what kind of power losses to expect.

Keep us updated on the beast dude, that's a wicked ride. Very Happy
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Sat, 15 January 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds amazing mate,the pics dont work can someone please re host them!!
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Mon, 17 January 2005 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Probably common knowledge by now but the car ran a healthy 269.4rwkw on Sun with 10psi and the WI on. I was expecting a bit more from the boost increase to be honest but in guess the timing i pulled out to be on the safe side didn't help. It's also clear that the single 3 inch exhaust is a major blockage.

A good benchmark for future reference though and helped point out some areas of engine development i need to get to.

1st though i still need a gearbox behind the thing and then some fix for the traction issues. The joys of modding cars Smile
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: twin turbo UZ185 Mon, 17 January 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Probably common knowledge by now but the car ran a healthy 269.4rwkw on Sun

and DAMN does it feel good!! Very Happy I wish every celica had that much torque right across the rev range! And the look on other driver's faces between Sydney & Canberra when they hear the V8 was priceless Cool

To quote a much poorer Australian car manufacturer:

"I Just Want One!" Razz Razz

JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Mon, 17 January 2005 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Mon, 17 January 2005 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Phil,
We'll have to swap drives out at Wakefield once i have a tough enough driveline....to take the hp not your driving Wink
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: twin turbo UZ185 Mon, 17 January 2005 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is an awsome car, blew me away at Dubbo last year.

Was lucky enough to get a run in it at Canberra last week. Insane is all I can say, the car is an awsome overall package.

Good luck with it Justen and well done for Sunday.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: twin turbo UZ185 Tue, 18 January 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

We'll have to swap drives out at Wakefield once i have a tough enough driveline....to take the hp not your driving

haha Razz You'll be sorely disappointed with the handling prowess of the leaf sprung panelvan after jumping out of a nice, rigid, coilover equipped GT4 Laughing Will be fun though!
Matt20v
Regular

September 2003

Re: twin turbo UZ185 Wed, 19 January 2005 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude that is one SWEET car i was reading about it in speed and was very impressed with what you have done. Very nice job and congrats on getting to look so factory.Smile
cheers matt
sikx5
Regular

September 2004
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Thu, 20 January 2005 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow....i have managed to completey miss this thread. I read about it on speed and its pretty awesome. nice to see its being used well Very Happy
ozaristov300
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Mon, 24 January 2005 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JustenGT4 wrote on Wed, 05 January 2005 13:11

... No inherent problems that's for sure although i have lost a bit of turning circle running the 18x8...you get that Wink

Actually Justen, the turbo 1UZ-FE appears to have significantly reduced the turning circle.

Congratulations on a quality conversion. Makes my upcoming IS200 to IS430 conversion seem positively limp by comparison.

cheers
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Thu, 03 February 2005 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well you can turn on a ten cent piece if required...not what you'd call a regulation U turn though Smile

I can't wait to see your conversion. The Rod Millen one is wild and i would love a sleeper ride like that.
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Wed, 23 February 2005 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey u got any more pics of the beast at the track or anythin? I wanna see some more pics of it especially the engine bay Very Happy pics at the start dont seem to work anymore Sad
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Wed, 23 February 2005 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A mate will have some hosted on his website soon but otherwise the Nov/Dec issue of SPEED has some good shots.
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Wed, 23 February 2005 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sweet i seen bits of the mag but too povo to go buy myself a copy Razz
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Wed, 23 February 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You own a GT4 and you are povo???? you're in a world of trouble Wink
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Wed, 23 February 2005 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL sorry im not povo just a tight arse so i can spend more money on the gt4 Razz
R-Lo
Regular

April 2004
Re: twin turbo UZ185 Wed, 23 February 2005 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
westlife wrote on Wed, 27 October 2004 16:15

Your car has to be my favourite overall ride on these ToyMods forums.That clips awesome Very Happy

What he said! ^
Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:[AE86] monkeymajiks's Levin Hatch Turbo - DynoCharts Up
Next Topic:SleekHer's RA28 - MISFIT -
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:44:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.011430025100708 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.