Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Who has a 4agte?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Sun, 07 November 2004 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sydney boys?? All the good GTE's are in Canberra! Razz Cool

BTW: Where do you guys get your metal head gaskets? I assume you mean multi-layer style like TRD or HKS, not copper gaskets??
  Send a private message to this user    
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Sun, 07 November 2004 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok boys, after reading this thread and doing abit of research, AND after driving 'AE86Boy's 4AGTE ae86 on the weekend, i have to say that i'm definately going ahead with the conversion. The power is damn impressive and perfect package for a light 4cyl with little lag.

I currently have an AFM 4AGZE with 2.5 exhaust, VR4 front mount, stock computer and boost mod already done. I also got my hands a bigport RWD GE manifold/throttle body and a sump with an 8 dash male already modded to run the oil return from the turbo. My only things left is an adequate turbo and exhaust manifold, oil lines and maybe a surgie.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on running a stock GZE computer to run certain power, and what are the pros and cons of an aftermarket one?

Would a T28 roller be beneficial as opposed to a ball bearing?

any good links/articles would help (have read most toymods FAQ, but good threads/links to tech articles would be great) appreciate it!
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 08 November 2004 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on running a stock GZE computer to run certain power, and what are the pros and cons of an aftermarket one?

I ran the stock ECU (AFM crank angle sensed version) on my 4AGTE for quite a while and it went well (about 154rwkw on 15psi). The benefits I gained from going to an after market ECU:
*a little more peak power and a massive gain through the mid range, increase in torque
*the after market ECU allowed the use of 440cc injectors (7MGTE)
*allowed the removal of the vane type AFM
*better throttle control (I can only assume the reason may be attributed to the AFM removal??? When the standard ECU was used it was difficult to control the boost with the throttle i.e. it would want to be either "on" or "off" full boost. Now the throttle control is much better)
*I didn't lose any of the factory ECU features eg cold start, fuel economy etc, my aftermarket ECU appears to be well tuned and is as good in these areas and better in others. I am happy with my choice of changing over.

The cons of aftermarket ECU's are commonly known eg. meeting emmissions standards (not a problem for us here in Canberra at this stage), getting it correctly tuned, the cost of the initial tune etc etc.

Quote:

Would a T28 roller be beneficial as opposed to a ball bearing?

Roller bearing = ball bearing the two names are thrown around for the same thing. Turbos come with either ball bearing (roller bearing) or bushings. Ball bearing turbos have the advantage of faster spool up and in most cases are generally of newer design than there bushing type counterparts. If I was buying a turbo now and had the cash I would go ball bearing, but at the same time, my bushing type one is working well and spools up nice and quickly.

NB a friend of mine is currently building up a 4AGTE with a brand new ball bearing T28 so I will be keen to see how it performs on the road in comparison to mine.
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 08 November 2004 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Smile

yeah i've had the talk before of ball bearing and rollers before, it all seems ambiguous at times, but im interested to see how the raw feel of the actual difference of the 2 are distinguished when driving, so far i've been impressed with lower end turbochargers, so i think a T28bb would be interesting to see.

It seems as though the stock compueter will be used with mine, $$$ is holding me back, but from what i heard it would be adequate for my application.

What sort of wastegate is everyone using on theirs?

Also, i have found a cheap T25g turbo for sale, minus compressor, anyone have good figures from these?
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 08 November 2004 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With the size of turbo's used on most 4agte's (mine included) the majority of us are using internal wastegates.

ke382TG: What computer are you running now?

[Updated on: Mon, 08 November 2004 01:20]

pjaw11sc
Regular

February 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 08 November 2004 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can happily run up to about 14psi on the stock (gze)computer (because you can upgrade to a nevo pulley which runs 13~14psi and its fine, but the stock injectors will probably starting to get high in their duty cycle) but as stated upgrading to an aftermarket is much better in all repects, but if you cant afford it, run the stock computer, save some money then upgrade
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 08 November 2004 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, so anyone rate T25G's for 4AGTEs?
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 08 November 2004 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Mon, 08 November 2004 11:22

Quote:

I ran the stock ECU (AFM crank angle sensed version) on my 4AGTE for quite a while and it went well (about 154rwkw on 15psi). The benefits I gained from going to an after market ECU:
*a little more peak power and a massive gain through the mid range, increase in torque
*the after market ECU allowed the use of 440cc injectors (7MGTE)
*allowed the removal of the vane type AFM
*better throttle control (I can only assume the reason may be attributed to the AFM removal??? When the standard ECU was used it was difficult to control the boost with the throttle i.e. it would want to be either "on" or "off" full boost. Now the throttle control is much better)
*I didn't lose any of the factory ECU features eg cold start, fuel economy etc, my aftermarket ECU appears to be well tuned and is as good in these areas and better in others. I am happy with my choice of changing over.

The cons of aftermarket ECU's are commonly known eg. meeting emmissions standards (not a problem for us here in Canberra at this stage), getting it correctly tuned, the cost of the initial tune etc etc.

Spot on, I'll assume your runnin a T28 and give Des a comparison. The setup I have recently made 155rwkw @ 13psi (MTX-8 ECU), (Rx7 injectors) I believe it is worth abandoning the Stock ECU. (this was with soaring intake temps..)

[Updated on: Mon, 08 November 2004 03:23]

ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 08 November 2004 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm i'll take that into account, which reminds me, how are the intake temps compared to a 4AGZE, much overheating? would my 12inch thermo be adequate?

155rwkw, thats impressive Andrew, i drove a similar powered 4agte on the weekend, even that was a handful Embarassed Razz

Yours a T28?

also what diameter i/c piping is sufficient? just wondering if my current pipes can do the job for the turbo
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 08 November 2004 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm interested in a comparison between the WRX td04 and the GTiR T28, as i have access to both and td04s are generally pretty cheap.

ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 08 November 2004 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

It seems as though the stock compueter will be used with mine, $$$ is holding me back, but from what i heard it would be adequate for my application.

$$$ is what hold us all back Laughing The factory ECU will provide enough power for a lot of fun and a big leap forward from the supercharged setup. Later on it's easy to change to aftermarket if you feel you want to.

Quote:

What sort of wastegate is everyone using on theirs?

Mine's an internal wastegate, but I did port it out to the absolute limit of the wastegate flap. This gave much better boost control. Before the porting it suffered from boost creep.

Quote:

ke382TG: What computer are you running now?

Just a Microtech MTX8, only a relativley basic computer but it works a treat and has been super smooth in all conditions (anyone who has driven the car or been in it will vouch for this).

Quote:

which reminds me, how are the intake temps compared to a 4AGZE, much overheating? would my 12inch thermo be adequate?

My car never had a readout for the air intake sensor when it was supercharged so I can't compare the two. But on my current setup I can see the intake air temps and they sit on ambient or just a few degrees over ambient, even on the track doing 20 minute session didn't see air intake temps rise much above ambient (maybe 7 or 8 degrees over ambient at most). I have a cold air box completely sealed from the engine with 2 x 3 inch feeds. I give my car a good thrashing somtimes eg. the track, drags etc and am yet to see intake temps much above the ambient temps (except for sitting in traffic without the car moving, they tend to go 15 - 20 degrees above ambient on a hot day).

Mine only runs a 12inch thermo fan and the radiator has nowhere near the frontal surface area that you sprinter guys get and I am yet to get the car too hot (track sessions don't bother it, hills don't bother it, traffics not a problem etc). Just make sure your radiator is in good working order.

Quote:

155rwkw, thats impressive Andrew, i drove a similar powered 4agte on the weekend, even that was a handful

Handful = FUN Very Happy

Quote:

also what diameter i/c piping is sufficient? just wondering if my current pipes can do the job for the turbo

My car started out supercharged and in that form it was common knowledge to keep the piping short and not too large. The piping from when it was supercharged has mostly been retained (where possible as it is polished aluminium and costs too much to toss in the bin). So mine is as follows 3 inch pipe from air filter to turbo, 2 inch from compressor housing to intercooler, 2 inch (tapering out to match the size of the throttle body) from intercooler to throttle body. Seems to work fine, but I would go 2.5" instead of 2" if I was starting from scratch.

There are a lot of 4AGTE's around and a lot of questions, a cruise one day of 4AGTE powered vehicles could be cool??

Here is a link to some pics of how mine is set up, since the pics a few more things in the engine bay have been neatened up and the cold air box has been fitted (made in polished aluminium, will get pics up shortly):

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=39171&start=0&rid=204&S=7f5eb3f91b98 ca0171ddbcaa2ce6e661
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 08 November 2004 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simply awesome mate Smile

A 4AGTE cruise would definately be an idea, that way alot of the questions and comparisons can be answered.

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 08 November 2004 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if i knew you were interested in going turbo i would have let you check out my setup at the toyfest.
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 08 November 2004 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i cant wait to get the brand new s15 BBt28 turbo on my car. Does anyone know or have any specs of how these perform or how good a turbo they are?
serge
Regular

June 2002
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 08 November 2004 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh.. im using a t28bb on my gze i can't wait to drive her i've just got to get my plumbing done.
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 08 November 2004 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Mon, 08 November 2004 21:06

if i knew you were interested in going turbo i would have let you check out my setup at the toyfest.

oh dude, your car was in the carpark right? I was chattin to so many people not sure if i spoke to you or not, but i seen your car before on the cruise i think - would love to see what else you done to it Smile
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 08 November 2004 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can i ask you guys what you paid for your T28bb's?

serge
Regular

June 2002
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 08 November 2004 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$700 from sss automotive but i reckon i got ripped off!
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 08 November 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah those grimsy bastards eating away on their kebabs while selling you parts Rolling Eyes Surprised

Was there anything wrong with it? warranty? Seems like a fair price to me unless there is something really dodgy to it
serge
Regular

June 2002
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 08 November 2004 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Na the unit is in perfect condition they're just pricey c*nts they reckon they quote 850 to anyone else but ive spent around 3k there my mate has bought about 10k worth of stuff from them they would have sold the t28bb to him for around 400 its just who you know in this case but yeh its in great condition i hope Rolling Eyes
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 08 November 2004 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Too true. I once bargained one of them for a genuine Bride seat which was used in his 180sx for track, he wasn't gonna sell it but i kept pushing him making him decide to sell it if i offered good cash, i whacked him down abit but decided it sounded dodgy Rolling Eyes

i bought about 1K of stuff before, and got em down quite abit, i think they remember me cuz i went back and they gave me a free Sabelt harness, i was just looking for a steering wheel which they didn't have Laughing

anyway back to the 4AGTE's, im thinking about relocating my battery cuz i need that space for my intake setup, i'm assuming most of you guys had issues with space around this area? I also heard that low/high mounting the turbo does not really make a difference although i'm leaning toward a slightly low position.

thoughts?
serge
Regular

June 2002
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 08 November 2004 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive got mine sitting in line with the rocker covers but i haven't got the motor in yet so i wouldn't be able to help but i reckon i've still have heaps of room even with the battery still in original position but yeh i'd like to fabricate a neat cold air intake setup so i'll probably ditch the battery to the rear.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 08 November 2004 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alot of the setups i've seen still have the battery in the front. Plus there's also certain legalities about have a boot battery in an ae86 due to the non-sealed hatchback.

$700 is very reasonable for a perfect t28bb. The price of them is pretty inflated though, for what they are.
D1-SPEC
Regular

May 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 08 November 2004 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a 4agte..

AE101 4AGZE Block, AE92 Bigport GZE Head
Complete rebuild with new bearings etc (2000ks ago)
ARIAS Forged pistons from US (8.5 C/R), ARP head stud kit ARP rod bolts
Supercharger removed
HKS GT2510 turbo on custom manifold
RWD intake manifold
Custom 3" Dump pipe
3" Mandrel bent exhaust
Haltech E6K ECU
Greddy Profec B EBC
N/A Bigport cams
HKS Cam gears
Stainless intercooler piping
Hybrid type bar + plate intercooler
Bosch Vl turbo fuel pump.
Pierberg lift pump and 1ltr stainless surge tank.

Out of a 3sgte grpa i had in a st162 and a decent horse powered 200sx previouse ride. I prefer this little engine any day very responsive and an awsome note. Smile thanks Alem.
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Mon, 08 November 2004 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how soon does boost come on for you guys?
i test drove my car yesterday and holy carp, the boost is almost instantaneous....
EVLGTZ
Occasional Poster

April 2003

Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 09 November 2004 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup got a 4AGTE.

Makes 188kw@wheels on 16psi. its a small port 4agze running a td05h-16g turbo on custom manifold and HKS external wastegate, front mount intercooler, 440cc injectors, 400HP bosch fuel pump, bigport cams and link LEM4 ecu.

[Updated on: Tue, 09 November 2004 00:15]

ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 09 November 2004 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OHHH niceeee Shocked
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 09 November 2004 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn

thats some impressive power
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 09 November 2004 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine made 174KW@W's when the wastegate was fucked. boost was very unstable. since i replaced the actuator a re-tune should put me over the 200KW mark.
its fairly laggy tho.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 09 November 2004 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, i got one. Cant wait till its finished!
AE82-GZE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 09 November 2004 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Come on boys where's the pics !!!!
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 09 November 2004 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't understand how everyone can whip together 4AGTEs so quickly! Confused
I've been building mine up for years & planning it for even longer (well, it seems it), and the bastard's still not finished. Mad
A bit more detailed info is here:
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&g oto=120&rid=&S=371a9ba9dd69ea86807752aa5f2 c08c8
but basically is rebuilt GZE bottom end, bigport head, HKS GT2510, Autronic, 3" zorst, ARE 'cooler, adj. cam gears, & so on & so forth... if you want more there's the link. ^
I took the ECU in to get a base map yesterday so I can start it up, the only other thing I need is a fuel pump (which is coming with the ecu) and I can give it a test fire & then take it in for a tune, then I can see if all the hard work & hard cash was worth it.
Judging from what everyone here thinks, I'll be a happy little boy! Evil or Very Mad

And as for a 4AGTE cruise, FUCK YEAH! I'm doing a pretty shit job of being the official cruise dude at the moment, but once my car's back on the road I will probably end up living in it, so there will be cruises aplenty!
Although once my engine's tuned & all running nice I've then gotta get the prick engineered, blue slipped & registered (& I'm not even gonna think about insurance), so I'm not holding my breath...
EVLGTZ
Occasional Poster

April 2003

Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 09 November 2004 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE82-GZE wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 00:59

Come on boys where's the pics !!!!

few pics on my page ---> http://shadybros.blakjak.net/Jade/jade.html
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 09 November 2004 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BigWorm wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 01:23

I can't understand how everyone can whip together 4AGTEs so quickly! Confused
I've been building mine up for years & planning it for even longer (well, it seems it), and the bastard's still not finished. Mad

mines taken just over 2 years Confused

jesus some of you guys have some serious power there.
i'd be happy to crack 150rwkw
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Tue, 09 November 2004 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bigworm and EVLGTZ, very very impressive Shocked
andrewa
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 10 November 2004 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was wondering what kind of fuel economy you 4agte guys get?
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 10 November 2004 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is mine

http://img108.exs.cx/img108/2540/bayupload.jpg

http://img108.exs.cx/img108/3985/rollavan2.jpg

Very Happy

[Updated on: Wed, 10 November 2004 01:04]

EVLGTZ
Occasional Poster

April 2003

Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 10 November 2004 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrewa wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 13:33

i was wondering what kind of fuel economy you 4agte guys get?

I get 380-400km from 45 litres on 98 octance with a mix of round town and open road driving on daily boost setting of 1 bar.
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 10 November 2004 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where/how have you guys run oil feeds and returns?
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 10 November 2004 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oil feed from the original oil pressure sender hole in the block (via a T-peice) with a return fitting brazed into the side of the sump, as high as possible.
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 10 November 2004 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats how mine goes as well.

whipped up quickly because mines just a stock as 4agze from aw11 mr2, with bolt ons.
4A-GTE
Regular

October 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 10 November 2004 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi all,

my gte in my 92 rolla sedan has 205 horses at the front wheels.

I am using a 13B rotary turbo. 3 inch exhaust, yada yada yada.

running at 20psi.

Cheers!
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 10 November 2004 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's a couple of pics of mine from Toyota Fest, courtesy of Paul/Lucid.
I don't know why, but for some reason Pauls camera always makes my car look almost pink..... Sad

http://www.luc1d.net/other/toyotafest/IMG_3939.jpg

http://www.luc1d.net/other/toyotafest/IMG_3940.jpg
optionUP
Regular

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 10 November 2004 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is mine:
http://www.cypherindustries.com.au/gallery/car-shows/PWAS2003/ae86t.jpg

Damn, I wanna get it clean and tidy like BigWorm's!

[Updated on: Wed, 10 November 2004 13:53]

BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Wed, 10 November 2004 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn, I wanna get mine on the road & running like optionUP's! Razz
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Who has a 4agte? Thu, 11 November 2004 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well maybe yours is taking so long cause your building it up to show car standard? mine took a coupla months, coulda knocked it over MUCH quicker if i wasnt so damn lazy. but it helps beeing an app mechanic i spose Rolling Eyes
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Thu, 11 November 2004 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sweet pics fellas.

Now for the big questions.

What flywheels are you guys using, and where do you get your clutch from? There seems to be issues with finding a decent pressure plate for the GE flywheel that has enough clamp, even after being modified by reputable workshops. Mine is off the road at the moment for this reason (again!)

Phil
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Thu, 11 November 2004 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's not flash, but so far it's doing ok.

http://upload.3sgtemr2.com/upload/feral4agteengine1.jpg

Smile
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Thu, 11 November 2004 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow. That looks like fun to work on! Confused Makes me appreciate a front engine, RWD car, theres so much more room! Cool

I like the short inlet tract from the turbo to TB though.

[EDIT] I just noticed that you run TWO inlet valve covers! I'd laugh, except that I've done the same myself Very Happy Did you find issues with letting blow-by gasses escape too? One 12mm breather just doesn't seem to be enough hey.

[Updated on: Thu, 11 November 2004 09:55]

ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Thu, 11 November 2004 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can hardly picture whats going on in that bay - boot!! Confused

when you AW11 owners first got your cars, did it seem strange to work on your boot? LOL
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Thu, 11 November 2004 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah, its that bad at all really. i dont find it much harder than my old gte sprinter, but it is funny when your putting bags or what not in your frunk (front trunk) and people are giving you looks like WTF! Confused
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Thu, 11 November 2004 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TE72_Turbo wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 19:46

Wow. That looks like fun to work on! Confused Makes me appreciate a front engine, RWD car, theres so much more room! Cool

it's actualy a very user friendly engine bay.

Quote:

[EDIT] I just noticed that you run TWO inlet valve covers! I'd laugh, except that I've done the same myself Very Happy Did you find issues with letting blow-by gasses escape too? One 12mm breather just doesn't seem to be enough hey.

never had any trouble with blow-by.

ae86slaver, there still is a boot behind the engine bay.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Thu, 11 November 2004 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

never had any trouble with blow-by

So why the two breathers then?
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Thu, 11 November 2004 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
way i see it, is that it helps the engine to rev easier from less internal pressure in the top end of the engine.

look at some v8 drag car engines, a lot of them have a vacum pump to create a vacum in the top of the engine to free up HP.
i have seen the toyota landcruiser diesel vacum pumps used for this purpose.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/0304_381/index1 .html
http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/vacuum-pumps .html

TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Thu, 11 November 2004 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So you do have some concerns about excess pressure from blowby then Cool Smile Smile

Anything you can do to increase crankcase ventilation is worthwhile. I was planning to remove & weld up the second oil filler from mine though, to stop people asking me why I had two Very Happy I just told them it was to ensure an even amount of oil in each side of the engine Laughing

Cheers
Phil

AE86Boy
Regular

July 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 12 November 2004 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey off topic.. any one had a tailshaft knock on the underbody of the 86?? generally happens underload?? its not a thumping noise but more of a loud rubbing?? anyone?? started after lowered springs installed, but had happened before...
i was wondering if was a common problem or if it just mine... if it does happen how do you fix? beat in the tunnel or what?
any help would be good?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 12 November 2004 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Centre bearing shagged? We had a dull knock on Glens MA61 when his went.
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 12 November 2004 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok boys, a few questions.

specifically,

throttle bodies - what are using? the standard sized ones from a 4age? i've heard that these can develop some play (e.g. tilt the butterfly 10 degrees and move side to side) that can bugger the throttle position sensor regularly. ken streeter told me to use a 3sgte body as it bolts straight on with only a little "boring out" of the inlet manifold required. has anyone used an sr20 throttle body?

itlet manifold - i've got a fwd 4age one sitting here that will obviously require cutting the ends off and swapping them for the rwd format. i'm guessing a rwd jap sprinter manifold would be the best option, but does any one know where i can pick one up and what the cost would be?

lastly, coils - has anyone tried doing a individual coil pack set up, using coils from an sr20 or similar (obviously, you would need an appropriate computer)?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 12 November 2004 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
white86 wrote on Fri, 12 November 2004 13:49

ok boys, a few questions.

specifically,

throttle bodies - what are using? the standard sized ones from a 4age? i've heard that these can develop some play (e.g. tilt the butterfly 10 degrees and move side to side) that can bugger the throttle position sensor regularly. ken streeter told me to use a 3sgte body as it bolts straight on with only a little "boring out" of the inlet manifold required. has anyone used an sr20 throttle body?

I've heard good stories about the 3sgte throttle body, ask drift86levin, he's proven some results with this mod and recommends it.

white86 wrote on Fri, 12 November 2004 13:49

inlet manifold - i've got a fwd 4age one sitting here that will obviously require cutting the ends off and swapping them for the rwd format. i'm guessing a rwd jap sprinter manifold would be the best option, but does any one know where i can pick one up and what the cost would be?

The RWD jap ones are becoming a dime a dozen these days, you would be lucky to find one in an importing yard let alone one that is here for sale. Cut and shutting the FWD manifold just means more fuckin around

optionUP
Regular

February 2003
Re: Who has a 4agte? Fri, 12 November 2004 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
On coils: later version of 4AGZE's (out of FWD AE92's and AE101's) had a twin coil set-up. Could be worth looking around for one of those.
I have also heard of someone using the coilpacks off a Hyundai Excel for a 4AGTE (I think).
I am still using a dizzy myself, although the plan is to go with coil packs some time down the track...
Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Toyota 'FENDER 53801-1E480' What's it off?
Next Topic:Please Help!!! ST-162 Alternator?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 16:01:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010042905807495 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.