Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CamZH
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Silicon Chip HEI Setup Fri, 10 September 2004 13:25 Go to next message
Hey Guys,
I'm looking to install a Silicon Chip (Jaycar) HEI into the ute this weekend...
only i've lost the paperwork/instructions !!

I've built it, just need to install it !

Can someone tell me how to set it up ??

thanks,
Cam
  Send a private message to this user    
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Silicon Chip HEI Setup Sat, 11 September 2004 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joo is a massif dong cam!

As marked on the PCB
+15V - 12V from Ignition
TACHO - TACHO
+HALL - +HALL (only if using hall effect sensor)
PT1 - To Points 1 (Hall Signal if using)
PT2 - To Points 2 if using
REL - Reluctor +ve if using
GND (below REL) - Reluctor -ve if using
GND (below 2 5W resistors) - Case + Chassis ground

Centre pin of darlington transistor - Coil -ve

To set current limiting
adjust VR1 to read 0.25V across the 0.1R resistor whilst the ignition is on but engine is not started. You will need to short your ballast resistor if you have one.

Once all that is done you should be ready to rock 'n' roll.

If you want more info just tell me what sort of ignition setup you are going to use (Hall effect, points, reluctor etc.)
Also are you using the programmable ignition? If so more wires are required.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Silicon Chip HEI Setup Sat, 11 September 2004 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why didn't you just come and steal one of the 6Cyl electronic dizzies I have in the shed???!
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Silicon Chip HEI Setup Sat, 11 September 2004 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cos gaycar is whey cooler Razz and he does have the programmable ignition to set up later.
CamZH
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Silicon Chip HEI Setup Thu, 16 September 2004 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the Info Toobs!

I was going to put it in on the weekend, but after melting my clutch cable i'll fix that 1st...

The HEI Is probably better than the factory elec. ignition Clint... (I'm not really sure about this Smile )

Cam
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Silicon Chip HEI Setup Thu, 16 September 2004 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gaycar HEI has longer dwell time (all bar 1ms for spark) for 'extra coil charging' = why the Bosch GT40's melt so soon..

CamZH
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Silicon Chip HEI Setup Wed, 10 November 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Guys,
Having issues with the HEI
Put it in, and tried to adjust the current, but i can only get the voltage across the resistor to about 0.18V ...
I'm using a bosch black not oil filled coil....
Cant remember the number on it, from memory i tried the other coil i'm using GT40, and that didnt work either...

With the voltage set to max it doesnt work !

any ideas ??

I doubt the HEI is going to make much difference as i rarely rev the ute past 4,000rpm....

Cam
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Silicon Chip HEI Setup Wed, 10 November 2004 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i found that the voltage dropped off quickly once power was applied to circuit.... (i think.. it was a while ago), so you need to hook up multimeter, then turn on and see what max voltage is... then adjust and test again...

i think Wink

i will have to do it myself eventually...

GT40 = bad mmkay...
mine melted after 1 or 2 weeks.. the next crappy coil lasted about.... 3-4 years...
Cya, Stewart
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Silicon Chip HEI Setup Wed, 10 November 2004 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i also found midrange and idle was where it made a lot of difference Wink
Chaos
Occasional Poster

November 2003

Re: Silicon Chip HEI Setup Wed, 10 November 2004 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are these kits worthwhile getting? what can you do with the programmable ignition kit?
any advantages?
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Silicon Chip HEI Setup Wed, 10 November 2004 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^^ i'm with stoopid above? what benifits?

oldcorollas: what the gaycar hei melted the gt40?! Shocked

beta buy a new coil then Confused
CamZH
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Silicon Chip HEI Setup Wed, 10 November 2004 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Stu,

I know there is uses with the GT40, silly "sports" coil Smile

With the other coil the voltage got to a certain point and wouldn't adjust past that. But the coil did start to buzz !
Maybe i should just be measuring the current to the coil...

I gave up seeing as it wouldn't start, and pulled the HEI out...

Now the ute moves again !

Cam
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Silicon Chip HEI Setup Wed, 10 November 2004 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did you solder in both sets of points components?? i did the first time and it made it "not go".. took them out and it worked...

current will also decrease quickly since the coil saturates in milliseconds..

did allthe other tests work out?? what are you triggering with?
CamZH
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Silicon Chip HEI Setup Thu, 11 November 2004 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Stu,
cant remember if i did both sets of point components...
And i've lost the info for the kit, so i'm a bit rooted...
I dont think so tho, as i'm only using a single point dizzy.

Other tests ?

thanks,
Cam
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: Silicon Chip HEI Setup Fri, 12 November 2004 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
strange, when i wired mine for my car, the little plastic washer that was insulating the darlington transistor started to melt so i pulled the HEI out of the car quicksmart.
Haven't put it back in either, i assume i wired it up wrong as well but i removed the old coil completely and whatever wires and boxes were going to that, so maybe that was my issue when i did try to wire it.
but if you want the full instructions, i can scan them for you or photocopy it and post them to you (for reference only)
CamZH
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Silicon Chip HEI Setup Fri, 12 November 2004 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Barned01...
are you talking about the silcone impregnated washer ? the flat one about the size of the tranny ?
Did you mount it correctly using the plastic bush ?

Other wise a copy of this info would be great if you could scan and email it to me ! cam_zh@yahoo.com

thanks,
Cam
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: Silicon Chip HEI Setup Fri, 12 November 2004 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Has anybody had any sucess fitting a hall sensor in place of the points in the Dizzy? The HEI kit can be fitted with the points, but I suspect that this set up will still suffer from points bounce. Anybody?
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: Silicon Chip HEI Setup Sat, 13 November 2004 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow if i had a digi camera it would make life so much easier.
in order i placed it on goes as such:
the metal box, then a little square flat insulator, then the transistor, then a little plastic white washer that goes inside the hole of the transistor, then a metal washer then the bolt through the whole lot.
Iwill scan thenm either tonight or tomorrow if i can grab the scaanner, otherwise are you happy to wait till monday when i can do it easily?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Silicon Chip HEI Setup Sat, 13 November 2004 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maurice c wrote on Sat, 13 November 2004 07:55

Has anybody had any sucess fitting a hall sensor in place of the points in the Dizzy? The HEI kit can be fitted with the points, but I suspect that this set up will still suffer from points bounce. Anybody?

i use mine with points.. i'm not sure where points bounce, but mine does over 8000rpm with no probs that i can see.

since it's only the opening of the points that triggers a spark, as long as the points close before the next spark should be ok.. ie points float is ok, but bouncing and having multiple openings may not be good...

i have a kit now that i am constructing to work with a toyota VR dizzy.. apparently has triggereing problems but we'll see..

if you want to buy me a hall effect sensor from jaycar (they have them back in!!) i will test it Wink

Cya, Stewart
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: Silicon Chip HEI Setup Sat, 13 November 2004 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(I use mine with points.. i'm not sure where points bounce, but mine does over 8000rpm with no probs that i can see)

Yeah when the Dizzy gets up a bit of speed the spring on the points cant be as efficient as it doesnt return as quickly. I've been planning on trying the HEI for a while now and I wanted to try adn chuck a hall in as well. But as I always say

"I'm no a gynochologist but i'll take a good look".
CamZH
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Silicon Chip HEI Setup Wed, 17 November 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Guys,
Thanks to Barned I've now got the info again !

I think i've found my issue !
I've installed both sets of points inputs ! so it never sees the variation in input state !

doh !

I've also installed the 5.6v Zener as per the eratta which may be causing an issue, i'll hvae a fiddle this weekend..

Now i just need a more reliable starter motor !!!

CamZH
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Silicon Chip HEI Setup Thu, 18 November 2004 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CamZH wrote on Wed, 17 November 2004 23:54

Hey Guys,
Thanks to Barned I've now got the info again !
I think i've found my issue !
I've installed both sets of points inputs ! so it never sees the variation in input state !

I've also installed the 5.6v Zener as per the eratta which may be causing an issue, i'll hvae a fiddle this weekend..

Heya Cam,
heh heh, i did exactly the same thing.. thought, well why not put both in.. and had same issue.. no go...

i can't remember if i have a zener as per errata? when was the errata dated?? should i have one now?

Cya, Stewart
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Silicon Chip HEI Setup Fri, 19 November 2004 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The other thing thats easy to stuff up on is when you install VR1 if you bend the legs too much you can make the pot go past the 270 odd degrees of rotation its supposed to have... if it goes past that point you can very easily f'ck the pot.

Note: The two legs that are on the one side stop the pot from being able to be rotated past 270 odd degrees... bending the two legs removes this limit and f'cks the pot.

Just a thought.
CamZH
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Silicon Chip HEI Setup Fri, 19 November 2004 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Stu,
The Zener mod is dated the 4/3/02...
It suggests to do it only if your car starts fine but then dies and wont restart, something about q2 not turning off ?

They also suggest with this mod to remove the coil from the engine if thats where it's mounted...

It's kinda funny about the twin points thing, as i cant find anywhere in the atricle about only putting 1 set in if you have a single point dizzy... But i saw this on the SC website....

And after looking at the circuit it makes sense !

i'll try and refit the elec. ignition this weekend, work permitting...
I'm interested to see how the midrange improves...

Cam
CamZH
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Silicon Chip HEI Setup Sat, 27 November 2004 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys,
Finally put it in the ute last weekend and it worked !!

Could only get 220mV across the 5ohm resistor...

But the tacho doesnt seem to work, i'm using the tacho output, i'll try changing the tacho back onto the negative side of the coil and see if that works....

cya,
Cam
CamZH
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Silicon Chip HEI Setup Sun, 05 December 2004 06:49 Go to previous message
Hey Guys,
Got the tacho working today by connecting it to the negative side of the coil..
I thought about hooking up the CRO to look at the out put of the tacho output, but thought, nah..
If any one wants me to i can...

cya,
Cam

ps, i also noticed my timing was way our (retarded) but not sure if this was due to the HEI or it was just set that way ! i'd never put a timing light onto the ute before !

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Underdrive crank pulley for 7M
Next Topic:What is done when you get ur car tuned???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 23:44:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076079368591309 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.