Toymods » Tech & Conversions » which engine for my ra23

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Alfred
Occasional Poster

November 2004
icon5.gif  which engine for my ra23 Wed, 10 November 2004 12:33 Go to next message
hey guys, i've been thinking lately about changing my 18rg to something a little more powerful for my ra23.

After looking around for another 2L engine i've come down to three engines: 1g-gte, 3s-gte or the sr20det. The 1g-gte seems to be the most sensible choice out of the three because i've come across plenty of info on the conversion but i was just wondering if anyone knows if there are any ra23's with a 3s-gte or sr20det conversion? Or you can just let me know what you think Very Happy

p.s. i'm only looking for a 2L engine and i'm not considering the 13bt, rb20det or 3t-gte engine. But if u have any other suggestions feel free to do so.
  Send a private message to this user    
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: which engine for my ra23 Wed, 10 November 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RA23's with both those engines do exist but they are more complex to fit than any 1G series motor, and I don't think any current forum members have either of these combinations.
Don't discount the 1G-GZE motor either.
And, don't be afraid to SEARCH this forum extensively.
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: which engine for my ra23 Wed, 10 November 2004 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The sr20det isn't difficult but the price of the engine is a bit much for what it is I suppose. But then again there's a hellva lot of aftermarket parts for them. and getting 200rwkw has been done many times before. If your serious about the conversion I could take pics of my car. I didn't put the engine in myself but from what I can see
custom engine mounts
sway bar
gearbox tunnel doesn't need to be modified but the shifter sticks out a bit further back
gearbox is unbreakable
exhaust and intake manifolds are on the same side as the 18rc so I assume that's gotta be a plus. I think the 1g's are different (correct me if i'm wrong) I've heard people with 1g's needing to modify things because their exhaust is too close to their master cylinder or steering box.
FMIC piping is straight forward

but then again it's not a toyota!!

Does any one know what weights more??

[Updated on: Wed, 10 November 2004 21:16]

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: which engine for my ra23 Thu, 11 November 2004 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure about the GTE, but on a GZE the exhaust and fuel lines are on the opposite sides compared to the 18RC but its no big deal to accomodate this in any kind of swap.
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: which engine for my ra23 Thu, 11 November 2004 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ohk. Just someone who I was talking to said the engineer didn't like the exhaust being close to something. I'm not sure. But i'm sure it's no biggie.
Alfred
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: which engine for my ra23 Thu, 11 November 2004 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah the piping on the other side was one of my concerns about the 1g motor... I think the 1g isn't that heavy at all from the forums i've read, i'm assuming its the same as the other toyota 2L engines. All i know about the sr20 is that it weighs more than the ca18 according to some guy who recons the ca18 is better Confused ...

btw celica_john were there any changes to the rear diff or brakes with ur car? If you could get some pics that would be awesome! Cool email: alfred_dunhill83@hotmail.com

[Updated on: Thu, 11 November 2004 07:16]

cutsGotBoost
Regular

September 2004
Re: which engine for my ra23 Thu, 11 November 2004 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go a rotor, or a 3s-gte, the 3s is equal in stregnth to the 2jz, they are prob in the top 3 strongest engines around.
unless its mazda stick with toyota.
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: which engine for my ra23 Thu, 11 November 2004 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've done the pug/hilux front brake upgrade and in four wks I'll have a hilux diff in with r31 disc brakes. But the standard diff will be able to cope with a standard sr. just depends on driving style, tyre width etc.

I've got exams atm but when their over and next time i'm under the car i'll take some detailed pics. (if you haven't got them in a few wks remind me!)
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: which engine for my ra23 Thu, 11 November 2004 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as for the sr20 vs ca18.. that's a tuff decision. I've heard people getting good power out of a ca18 but then i've heard of ppl swapping their ca18 for an sr20 because their mate's sr20's go better. Probably go the ca18 (depends what power your after)
second hand parts will be cheaper for that engine.

that's if you decide to go nissan at all.
Alfred
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: which engine for my ra23 Sat, 13 November 2004 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i always thought putting a nissan engine into a toyota doesn't seem right, but with the options i had in toyota engines i didn't really have much choice...

Anyway if i do go nissan at all it would have to only be the sr20det. Reason being its popularity, there's so many aftermarket parts for that engine compared to some others its not funny. rb20det isn't bad either, my friend has one in his s13 with no engine mods and it goes pretty hard! Shocked

In case some of you are wondering why don't i consider the rb20det is cos toyota has the 1g-gte.

[Updated on: Sat, 13 November 2004 13:45]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: which engine for my ra23 Sat, 13 November 2004 13:56 Go to previous message
how much more power do you want?

you can ask Cool1 on these forums about the costs of a 3s conversion, you'll probably think about another option.

if <200rwkw is your aim, 1g-gte is definitly the go. if you want more, investigate 3s-gte or sr20. sr20 is great to around ~230rwkw (from heresay), and after that you're looking at BIG bucks.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:gearbox problem.... HELP
Next Topic:7M - MA61
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:20:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051491260528564 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.