Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Insurance hassles with dark tints?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon5.gif  Insurance hassles with dark tints? Wed, 10 November 2004 10:14 Go to next message
Hi all,
Anyone had any hassles from insurance companies over their tints being too dark?

I'd really like a 20% tint for the Subey, but not if it's gonna be something that the insurance company can use to deny me a claim (if anything ever happens).

Anyone had any (good or bad) experience with this?
  Send a private message to this user    
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Insurance hassles with dark tints? Wed, 10 November 2004 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought tints are a good thing for a car coz you can't see inside Confused But they wont hassle you if your within the legal limit which is about 15-20%
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Insurance hassles with dark tints? Wed, 10 November 2004 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Legal limit is 35%. Sad
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Insurance hassles with dark tints? Wed, 10 November 2004 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn...you serious? Oh well, ive got 10% all round...car came with them if i get asked Rolling Eyes

As long as you stay at those 35% you'd be sweet, as far as i know.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/v si/vsi03_rev3.pdf

[Updated on: Wed, 10 November 2004 11:02]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Insurance hassles with dark tints? Wed, 10 November 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I know.

But 35% is too light. I want 20%. And my car is not pre-93 so I can't don't have an excuse. Sad
pr1nce
Regular

April 2004
Re: Insurance hassles with dark tints? Thu, 11 November 2004 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yo what's this pre 93 rule??
i heard you can have as dark tint as you want? you can use the excuse "it came with the car" ... is this correct?
i'd like some tints soon and seeing since i have a 1983 car i can do whatever tint i want?
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Insurance hassles with dark tints? Thu, 11 November 2004 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh, simply say the car was done with that tint in 1983!
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: Insurance hassles with dark tints? Thu, 11 November 2004 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Id also like to know about this pre-93 rule.

anyone have any real info? i might just call regency and ask them.
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Insurance hassles with dark tints? Thu, 11 November 2004 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if your car was complied pre august 1994, you can have as dark a tint as you want. Pretty sure 5% is the lowest, wouldnt want it any darker Very Happy
pr1nce
Regular

April 2004
Re: Insurance hassles with dark tints? Thu, 11 November 2004 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HOLD UP
i can have as DARK tint as i want?
how about if cops pull me over?
can i get like an engineers certificate so they don't defect me??
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Insurance hassles with dark tints? Thu, 11 November 2004 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just say it came with the car coz it was complianced pre august 1994 if they give u any trouble. I had 5% all round on my ae82, and 10% on the windscreen Very Happy
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Insurance hassles with dark tints? Thu, 11 November 2004 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was going to buy a corrola and a few days before i was going to buy it , the guy got a defect notice for having too much tint in his windows ????
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Insurance hassles with dark tints? Thu, 11 November 2004 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pr1nce, don't take any advice from someone who would tint their front windscreen. Go ring an engineer and ask them.

Sorry Dimmy, but thats fucking stupid.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Insurance hassles with dark tints? Thu, 11 November 2004 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SupraPete wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 12:06

pr1nce, don't take any advice from someone who would tint their front windscreen. Go ring an engineer and ask them.

Took the words right out of my mouth

Nark: I'd ring up your insurance company anonymously and ask
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Insurance hassles with dark tints? Thu, 11 November 2004 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cyber-punk wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 14:26

SupraPete wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 12:06

Took the words right out of my mouth

Nark: I'd ring up your insurance company anonymously and ask

love the avatar ahahah

max ... why dont u get a tint that u CAN SAFELY DRIVE WITH AT NIGHT !!! I know u wanna look like a pimp with the 5% tint, but is it necessary ? i had trouble driving at night when i had a 15% tint years ago .. so basically looks vs functionality and safety
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Insurance hassles with dark tints? Thu, 11 November 2004 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u MAY have trouble getting pink slip too as i found out
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Insurance hassles with dark tints? Thu, 11 November 2004 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SupraPete wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 13:06

A slight tint wouldn't be too bad would it ?
it's better than that gay looking stripe on the top of the windscreen.
I'm going to do it.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Insurance hassles with dark tints? Thu, 11 November 2004 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 14:40

max ... why dont u get a tint that u CAN SAFELY DRIVE WITH AT NIGHT !!! I know u wanna look like a pimp with the 5% tint, but is it necessary ? i had trouble driving at night when i had a 15% tint years ago .. so basically looks vs functionality and safety

Les,
I have a 20% on the Silly Car and I'm happy with night time visibility. That's why I want a 20% for this car.
shaneblack
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: Insurance hassles with dark tints? Thu, 11 November 2004 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I looked into this when I was getting my last car because I wanted to make sure I'd have no hassles with the tint. In NSW any car first registered on or after the 1st of August 1994 must have VLT of 35% or greater on side and rear windows. No tinting is allowed on windscreens other than the strip at the top which must be no more than 10% of the window and must be above the area swept by the wipers.

Cars registered before the 1st of August 1994 have no limit for side and rear tinting but the no tinting on the windscreen still applies.

In other states the date may be different but from memory the level of tint is still the same.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Insurance hassles with dark tints? Thu, 11 November 2004 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you have it a bit wrong. The 35% rule only applies to driver's and front passenger's windows.
The rear passenger windows and the rear window can be painted black. There is not limit on them.
shaneblack
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: Insurance hassles with dark tints? Thu, 11 November 2004 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check out: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/v si/vsi03_rev3.pdf

For passenger vehicles the limit applies... for trucks, commercial vehicles (including utes) and buses there is no limit for windows behind the driver. I'm guessing the subey isn't a commercial vehicle?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Insurance hassles with dark tints? Thu, 11 November 2004 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very interesting. They must've changed the law recently.
I don't really understand the reasoning behind that. Very strange ruling.
pr1nce
Regular

April 2004
Re: Insurance hassles with dark tints? Thu, 11 November 2004 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wasn't thinking of gettin an insanely dark tint
just... darkish, lol
cause i got an ae86, no tints what so ever... i'd like some tints though
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Insurance hassles with dark tints? Thu, 11 November 2004 10:50 Go to previous message
what about in qld?.. i had 35% on other soarer and it was way too light
I want 20-15
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Drift video: Mallala before gbox blew...
Next Topic:blown bottom end bearing ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 19:23:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078368186950684 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.