Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Syco2t
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Need better Ta22 Radiator Thu, 11 November 2004 02:16 Go to next message
What have other people done to get some decent results with there radiators, i tried to modify a renaut radiator being a duel pass and longer etc radiator, and the car overheats at idle, i have a 12inch thermo,

what can i do. please help guys

[Updated on: Thu, 11 November 2004 02:16]

Send a private message to this user    
Azrael
Regular

September 2003
Re: Need better Ta22 Radiator Thu, 11 November 2004 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can I assume from your name you're running a 2T? If so you shouldn't have any problems from the stadard radiator. Running a 2TGEU wiht 12 inch thermo and standard radiator I've never had a problem, Come to think about it the thermo never switches on. You may want to have your cooling system looked at (only an idea).
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Need better Ta22 Radiator Thu, 11 November 2004 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ditto to the above, I had a 2TG in a corolla with a radiator about the same size as the TA22 unti and it didn't overheat either. That was with a 12" Thermo fan also.
Syco2t
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: Need better Ta22 Radiator Thu, 11 November 2004 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yer its actually a 2tgeu turbo, and im aiming for 240hp at wheels, so its had a bit of work done. the engine has just been rebuilt, so it should be ok, radiator and thermo are new, car has only done 600km since.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Need better Ta22 Radiator Thu, 11 November 2004 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the fact that is overheating at the lights still sounds suss. I've pushed 3TGTE'd TA22's with no cooling fan (mechanical or electric), and not had them over heat at the lights. I'd recommend you check your water pump - even new parts can fail.

If it overheats quickly, like within a 1-2 minutes of driving, I'd say thermostat too.
Syco2t
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: Need better Ta22 Radiator Thu, 11 November 2004 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i replaced the thermostat, just for good measure, even boiled it on the stove, and it works, and the car stays at a constant temp when driving at different speeds. i dont know what else it could be.

actually come to think of it, i did put a 3t water pump on, they looked the same as the 2t but it didnt have the big bit sticking out for the fan to go on. are these any different in flow to the 2t's
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Need better Ta22 Radiator Thu, 11 November 2004 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the enigne ova heating or does the guage just say it is

if its just the guage then you could try putting a 2t temp sendor on your 2tgeu block

my 18rg did this so we put the old sendor on and had no problems
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Need better Ta22 Radiator Thu, 11 November 2004 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just get your ta22 rad recored with a 3 row radiator...costs around $240 plus gst. and u shoul;d have any problems then
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Need better Ta22 Radiator Fri, 12 November 2004 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi man just my 2 cents worth.

If the car runs fine and stays cool when driving. (you are getting ram airflow through your radiator, which is providing the necessary cooling)

If car gets hot while idling, or sitting at traffic lights. (you have insufficient cooling air flow)

How are you controlling the thermo fan?

Is the fan DOR compatible with where it is located. ie. Is it actually pushing or pulling the air toward the engine?

A new recore 2 core, will be as effective as an old triple core.

New engines will run guite a bit hotter in the run in period!

Good luck sorting this, would be a pity to lose a rebuilt 2TG for the sake of a bit of cooling!

regards Chuck.

Syc02T
Regular

July 2002
Re: Need better Ta22 Radiator Mon, 15 November 2004 09:52 Go to previous message
Chuck, ur 2 cents if fine with me,

The thermo is controled through the ems, turns on at 83 and off at 80 i think, doesnt seem to come on when driving. the fan is mounted to the back of the radiator and is drawing through it, it didnt fit between the intercooler and radiator which is where i wanted it so it was out of the bay.

As for lilcrash, both the stock gauge and the ems are within 2-3 deg of each other.

Since i originally posted this i did a complete flush and found out the cooling system only holds about 2.6l, i dont think this is enough, i mean a commo holds about 10L dont it.

I may have to put the stocko back in, dont think this radiator is up to the job. I may be hard cause i choped the stock mounting point. damn
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:celica engine swap
Next Topic:4AGE 100kw Smallport - running very rich.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 08:52:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056469440460205 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.