Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Chamelion
Occasional Poster

June 2004
icon4.gif  1987 Corona Sun, 20 June 2004 18:59 Go to next message
Hi all,

New member here Smile About to buy my first car and have some questions.

A bloke I know told me his daughter will be selling her 1988 Toyota corona in a few weeks... The following is what I do know about the car.

* 1988 model, weren't released in Australia. So it will be an import.
* She bought it 6 months ago from a car dealer her family knows for $2,200
* She'll be wanting about $1,500 for it.
* Automatic
* Apparently meets RWC
* No body rust, dents or dings. But does have the expected minor imperfections.
* Mechanically good, she's had no trouble from it. Though it has a rattle. (Supposedly) originating from the exhaust. He says a new exhaust would fix it. Is this necesary and/or expensive? <-- UPDATE: They are fixing this problem before sale
* RWC will be supplied upon sale
* Power steering, Power windows, Aircon (could do with a regass)

Are these decent cars? Reliable and fit for a family of 4?

What engine do these have? (I believe it's 1838cc, 4cyl, DOHC... Thats all I know).

Any advice, thoughts, experiences or warnings about what to look out for etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks lads and ladies Smile

Matt.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 June 2004 06:14]

Send a private message to this user    
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1988 Corona Mon, 21 June 2004 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chamelion wrote on Mon, 21 June 2004 04:59

Are these decent cars? Reliable and fit for a family of 4?

What engine do these have? (I believe it's 1838cc, 4cyl, DOHC... Thats all I know).

Any advice, thoughts, experiences or warnings about what to look out for etc would be greatly appreciated.

Matt,

Decent for a 4 cyl 4 door family car, yes, and reliable and fit.

Likely that its a 1S engine, 1.8 4 cyl scissor gear driven exhaust cam (-FE series) motor, so yes 'DOHC' but no high-po high reving wonder-machine.

Get it checked by the RACV or NRMA or whatever is in your state for all the normal things.
You biggest problem will be sourcing parts unique to that car if anything lets on in the future.
There are a few of these cars now dring around WA, (approx 25-35) so we have have some parts available here. Otherwise buy the EPC and get your bits on order Ex-Japan via your local Toyota dealer....or buy any wrecks that pop up and store them in your garage at home Smile
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1988 Corona Tue, 22 June 2004 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Likely that its a 1S engine, 1.8 4 cyl scissor gear driven exhaust cam (-FE series) motor, so yes 'DOHC' but no high-po high reving wonder-machine.

I dont think so. 1S never came in twin cam variant AFAIK. Could it be 7A-FE?
Chamelion
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: 1988 Corona Tue, 22 June 2004 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think I saw a page not so long ago stating it had that engine in it (7A-FE).

Are these good? Smile Note: Good means reliable and hassle free. Not fast and beefy.

Thanks,

Matt.
Chamelion
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: 1988 Corona Tue, 22 June 2004 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4S-FE

That engine is in the 1.8L 1989 corona.. Would it be whats in my car to be? Other question as above stands.

Matt.
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: 1988 Corona Wed, 23 June 2004 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If its a 1.8 it will be a 4S-FE.
This makes the car an ST170.
How many km's on the engine?

Not a great deal of power.
I don't know where you are, but these were only brought in as grey import in very limited numbers.
2nd hand parts are impossible to find, ie body panels.

I've seen one at a wreckers in Brisbane, but there was nothing worth salvaging.
The importers don't bring these in for parts as they are too old (replaced in 1992 by 190 series Corona & Caldina) so everything that needs replacing would be new (expensive).

I've had my import 96 Caldina (Corona wagon) for 3 years & I'm still on the lookout for places to get parts from.

Personally, as a 1st car I'd steer clear.
An equivalent age Aussie Camry would be same price, bigger, easier to get insurance, easier to get 2nd hand parts, etc.
Chamelion
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: 1988 Corona Thu, 24 June 2004 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi all,

Managed to see the car in better light today and popped the hood.

To clear up a few things:

1987 Toyota Corona EX-Saloon ST150-4041262
1S - LLU Engine 1832cc (Comments?)

Has a slightly mangled fron left qauter panel but it's nothing I'd be inclined to bother fixing in my first car. It's been living under a tree getting leafy and only being driven 30-40km a week. Battery is new, tyres have a legal ammount of tread.

Would appreciate as many comments as possible, whether good or bad. Are these cars still very rare in australia? Will parts be hard to get?

Might ring the local jap auto wreckers to see if parts are hard to come by.
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: 1988 Corona Thu, 24 June 2004 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
These are even harder to find parts for than an ST170.
The engine isn't comon with anything here that I know of (others feel free to correct me)

I'd stay well away.
Chamelion
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: 1987 Corona Thu, 24 June 2004 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks matey Smile I'll see what else I can find. I'll still get the family mechanic to have a look.
Main reason Im interested in it is the fact it's a friends daughters car, it's cheap and apparently runs well.

But if it'll be hell for parts should anything go wrong (usually does) I'd rather just spend a little more (up to $2,500) and get something a little more common.

Matt.
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: 1987 Corona Thu, 24 June 2004 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i don't think people like newer model coronas cause i see so many in the paper that have been damaged. Must get rammed Very Happy
Chamelion
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: 1987 Corona Thu, 24 June 2004 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh the wonders of this new $3,000 baby payment. If my son holds out until July 1 (he could come any day now) our car budget will sky rocket to $3500 or so.

Should be able to get an 88-90 Camry for that price.

Matt.
deeps
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1987 Corona Thu, 11 November 2004 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it has the 4S-FE engine, it's a pretty nice engine. 1.8l but it's got alot of grunt. i THINK it's DOHC, and parts are hard to find, but not impossible.
Chamelion
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: 1987 Corona Thu, 11 November 2004 06:48 Go to previous message
Long time no post (in this thread).

The engine ended up being a 1S-LLU 1.8L.. We didn't buy it.

Baby was born after July 1, so we innevitabely bought a nice 89 Camry Smile

Matt.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:who can tell me if this is a series 5 RX7 turbo?
Next Topic:Rear Gearbox seal
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 07:53:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053520202636719 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.