Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 7M N/a boost noise?...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wolf
Regular

June 2004
7M N/a boost noise?... Mon, 08 November 2004 13:35 Go to next message
I got a 7M N/A in my Supra and it sometimes makes a whining turbo spooling like noise... 'Cept its more of a screetch. Its not easy to hear but it is sometimes there.

Does this mean the engine is not well balanced? I had the engine serviced by a regular auto workshop; they also changed some bearings and a timing belt. Should I get my repairs and maintenance done by a specialty shop? Is there any in Sydney?

So many of questions, feel like such a newbie. Embarassed
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7M N/a boost noise?... Mon, 08 November 2004 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A whining/screeching noise is a belt slipping/out of alignment, or a dud bearing somewhere (typically the idler pulley). Get someone else to look at your car if the first bloke couldn't fix it! And no you don't need to go to a "specialty" shop for something as basic as this.
wolf
Regular

June 2004
Re: 7M N/a boost noise?... Tue, 09 November 2004 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks mate!

Glad to know it is easy to fix.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 7M N/a boost noise?... Tue, 09 November 2004 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you have a pod filter?

Are you sure it isn't an induction noise?
-gt-
Regular

I Supported Toymods

October 2004
Re: 7M N/a boost noise?... Tue, 09 November 2004 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a noise like that in my sx back when it was stock as a rock, sounded just like a turbo spooling, air whistling kinda noise. It used to come and go, wouldn't say screeching though. Never found out what it was, but it wasn't too much later the 100kw died...

I don't know if it was a symptom of what killed it, but i'd be keen to know if you figure out what it is.
wolf
Regular

June 2004
Re: 7M N/a boost noise?... Thu, 11 November 2004 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shit.

-gt-: Now that you mention it, it does sound like an air whistling noise. Comes and goes too. I hope the block, head or head gasket are not cracked. This could be a dent in ye-olde budget.

CrUZsida: No, there is no pod filter. Bone stock. If it is the induction, I shall be cheering. But if it was I don't think it would come and go...

Well, thanks for your help everyone, I will have this looked at soon as possible. Lucky it isn't a daily driver.

~wolf~
mrsmart
Regular

October 2002
Re: 7M N/a boost noise?... Thu, 11 November 2004 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vacuum leak? Check tightness on all your intake manifold bolts and clamps. Check the plastic intake tubes for holes or cracks, especially above the exhaust manifold.
indigoid
Regular

September 2002

Re: 7M N/a boost noise?... Thu, 11 November 2004 08:51 Go to previous message
check gearbox oil level, quality and contamination-ness too. gearboxes often whine
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ra28 suicide doors??
Next Topic:erratic idle
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 11:30:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046958923339844 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.