Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
fugly
Occasional Poster

November 2004
brakes on ke35 Wed, 10 November 2004 01:18 Go to next message
just bought some chreap 14 inch jelly bean mags, which look great, but they scrub out on my brake calipers. the brakes have a fin that pokes out, which means they fit fine with steelies, but they stick out about 8mm too far. Could i get brakes off a later model corolla? if so, what year model?
  Send a private message to this user    
EnFlaMEd
Regular

September 2003
Re: brakes on ke35 Wed, 10 November 2004 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would just do a dodgy and buy some spacers. I did this to fit Supra Alloys to my ke35 and it worked great.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: brakes on ke35 Wed, 10 November 2004 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, looks like your cheap rims don't fit then..

btw, how can stock brakes foul on 14" rims? they fit fine under 13" rims? is the offset incorrect? must be something screwy going on..

and don't use a spacer unless it is properly secured to the hub... no point throwing your car off a highway at high speed for the sake of a shitty set of rims..

Cya, Stewart
fugly
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: brakes on ke35 Wed, 10 November 2004 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah the offset is different. the're not really that cheap when compared to the price of other wheels, just not shiny and low profile etc. the problem i have with using spacers is that the wheels will scrub on the guards and i dont wanna get them rolled because i think the paint will crack etc. Is there not a brake conversion i could do, like grab a pair of brakes from a ke70 say?
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: brakes on ke35 Wed, 10 November 2004 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I came across the same thing on the weekend. Same type of wheels on a KE30. There is a ridge on the calliper that sticks out sideways past the wheel mounting surface and there isn't enough "curve" on the wheel to clear it. I think the KE55 callipers may be different. I have a set in the shed so I'll have a look tomorrow arvo and let you know.

Brad
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: brakes on ke35 Wed, 10 November 2004 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the KE30 have jap calipers and aussie calipers... most KE5x have aussie calipers, as do KE70.. some however do have jap calipers (like mine), but i don't think there is that much difference between them... i haven't actually measured them tho..

BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: brakes on ke35 Thu, 11 November 2004 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a look at the KE55 brakes that I have and they are different. They are "girlock" brand callipers and are different from my KE30 "sumitomo" brand callipers. I think they will do the job.
I have some pictures here.

Brad
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: brakes on ke35 Thu, 11 November 2004 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they link to your hard drive.. you need to host them somewhere on the net
fugly
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: brakes on ke35 Thu, 11 November 2004 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks heaps brad, but yeah, i cant see them. uploading them would help, but whenever you get the chance would be great. looks like a trip to the wrecker tomorrow, unless you want to part with yours brad???
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: brakes on ke35 Thu, 11 November 2004 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, just started using my webspace the other day and still trying to work it out Confused.
Hope they work better now.

Brad
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: brakes on ke35 Thu, 11 November 2004 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fugly: PM me with an offer and they could be yours Very Happy

Brad
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: brakes on ke35 Thu, 11 November 2004 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh i know what you'r etalking abotu now Wink

i use the two piece girlock calipers, for the longer pad..., but mine are from a "south east asia" KE70, and are not common... which led me to believe that the sumitomos were used on local models... i could be wrong tho...
should be easy enough to find them at a wrecker...

Cya, Stewart
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: brakes on ke35 Thu, 11 November 2004 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 20:04

ahh i know what you'r etalking abotu now Wink

i use the two piece girlock calipers, for the longer pad..., but mine are from a "south east asia" KE70, and are not common... which led me to believe that the sumitomos were used on local models... i could be wrong tho...
should be easy enough to find them at a wrecker...

Cya, Stewart

I have no idea which are jap spec and which are local. I just assumed the girlock ones where local because some holdens from the era used girlock callipers as well.

Brad
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: brakes on ke35 Thu, 11 November 2004 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
true, but the KE10/20 jap calipers (akebono) had long thin pads too.. and the foundry i worked at for a while made parts for sumitomo Wink and when the KE30's started being made locally, they seemed to have the shit aquare pads... meh...

anyway.. doesn't matter Wink whatever fits Very Happy
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: brakes on ke35 Thu, 11 November 2004 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 20:30

anyway.. doesn't matter Wink whatever fits Very Happy

Very true Cool

Brad
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: brakes on ke35 Fri, 26 November 2004 08:48 Go to previous message
Apparently the girlock calipers, same as I have on a ke55, will take the rear pads from a vn? to vr? commodore! So yes I think the girlock and prb parts were fitted in Aus, where as the easrlier, ke30-35 corollas came with brakes already fitted. It is these which are the "jap spec" brake parts
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE86 Suspension Bushes
Next Topic:is there a bellhousing that mates altezza gearbox to 4ag?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 11:16:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048370361328125 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.