Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Door card/trim materials???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Door card/trim materials??? Wed, 10 November 2004 23:49 Go to next message
Hey all,
time has come to redo the door trims in the 15..
what do people recommend for material?

have considered 3mm MDF and 3mm masonite, but they are both pretty.... stiff...
the stock stuff seems to be thick card/fibre board, but more flexible.

suggestions?

Cya, Stewart
  Send a private message to this user    
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Door card/trim materials??? Wed, 10 November 2004 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought it was masonite, maybe you should use thinner than 3mm?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Door card/trim materials??? Wed, 10 November 2004 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm, i'm not sure masonite was even around 35 years ago Wink (oh wait, it was made 75 years ago....)

yeah, thinner would be better, but not available at Bunnings Wink

suppliers?
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Door card/trim materials??? Thu, 11 November 2004 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bowens Timber and Building Supplies
Phone 03 9796 3003
Website www.bowens.com.au

Bunnings Warehouse
Phone 08 9365 1555
Website www.bunnings.com.au

Dahlsens Building Centres
Phone 03 8574 8400
Website www.dahlsens.com.au

Home Timber and Hardware
Nearest Store Locator 1300 889 449
Website www.homehardware.com.au

Hudson Timber & Hardware
Phone 02 9629 0400
Website www.hudsontimber.com.au

Mitre 10 Australia
Phone 03 9703 4200
Website www.mitre10.com.au

Results of a quick google search Wink

Goodluck
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Door card/trim materials??? Thu, 11 November 2004 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I suppose you could try timber suppliers, I dont know the names of places in Sydney so I cant help there.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Door card/trim materials??? Thu, 11 November 2004 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stew - I think it is masonite (after close inspection of one I broke) - it just gets soft and floppy after years of absorbing moisture (which masonite doesn't really like)
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Door card/trim materials??? Thu, 11 November 2004 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing thansk Skip, i meant for 2mm.. 3mm is the common garden standard size, and in my travels hadn't seen 2mm..

had also considered 2mm marine ply Wink but model shops have small sheets..

ahh k, thanks Draven.. mine looks more like a compressed fibre matting, but then again, it also has mushrooms growing on the inside!!

thanks fellas, heading off on a search (well.. letting fingers do the walking)..

Cya, Stewart
Azrael
Regular

September 2003
Re: Door card/trim materials??? Thu, 11 November 2004 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've just redone my doors and I used 3mm Masonite, after talking to a few upholsterers, as that is what they used. I'd stay right away from MDF, it has no moisture resistance and will fall apart in the first good rainfall. The doors weren't too stiff using the 3mm. So I'd go with that (ps. it's cheaper too).

[Updated on: Thu, 11 November 2004 03:33]

CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Door card/trim materials??? Thu, 11 November 2004 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Be sure to match your backing board thickness to your original fitting clips too. Most automotive backing boards are made from thicker masonite that has been milled down to suit for reproduction purposes.
gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: Door card/trim materials??? Thu, 11 November 2004 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CLG wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 16:56

Be sure to match your backing board thickness to your original fitting clips too.

Not just for the clips.. The window handle and door latch won't fit on (might with a bit of force, but being old the door latch will break REALLY easily) if the thickness isn't close enough. You also have to take into account the thickness of the material and padding you are going to use. If you put on thicker leather/vinyl/cloth as well as padding to suit, you could quite easily blow out the width..

Just some more things to remember. Smile

Also, I assume the KE15 has a flat piece for the door trim? Doesn't curl around and hook over the door, like in the KE3x/5x. If it does, how the hell do you bend masonite without cracking it? Confused
Azrael
Regular

September 2003
Re: Door card/trim materials??? Fri, 12 November 2004 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Celica ones had a metal piece that was stapled onto the masonite to create that curl. I just took the metal bits off the old door card and used the same staple holes and staples and pursueded them to go onto the new masonite card.

ps. one more thing I remembered, if you use a thinner card you'll have to find some pretty thin staples to suit (when you staple your fabric back on the new backing). I used 4mm staples (smallest ones I could find retail), 3mm padding and 3mm masonite and if you press hard enough you can feel the staples, but only just.

pps. Yeah those plastic door thingies are an interesting fit with all that new padding.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Door card/trim materials??? Fri, 12 November 2004 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well... 3.2mm masonite looks ok, but there was some lovely wood trim panelling at Bunnings Wink Rolling Eyes

it's totally flat (except where the mushrooms are) and has a simple cutout for the lock/handle thing, and a hole for the winder..

my handle lock recessed thingy is pressed aluminium or steel, and it's not gonna break Very Happy

for clips, the original ones are super dodgy metal things.. need to find something better.

for bent masomite, i believe it is formed in that shape.. bending would be a little... difficult.. maybe if it was wet then pressed while drying? wouldn't want to try it tho..

Cya, Stewart
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Door card/trim materials??? Fri, 12 November 2004 06:40 Go to previous message
Hiya Stewart, Restore A Dash in Sydney does reproduction door cards and rear panels, for all sorts of cars. About $400.00 for a 4 door car. Fully pressed vinyl looks original. Let yer fingers do some more walking!

regards Chuck.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1GGTE Waterpump Changeover
Next Topic:86 3sgte lights r on
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:01:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065469741821289 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.