Toymods » Tech & Conversions » removing woodgrain from dash facia on a '22

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
removing woodgrain from dash facia on a '22 Thu, 11 November 2004 07:34 Go to next message
i want to get rid of the woodgrain cover that comes on the TA22 dash so that i can spray it silver like the GT dash. i know its not an original GT dash but thats life.

anyway im just after the easiest way to take it off without damaging the rest of the facia. i was thinking of using a hair dryer to melt the glue thats used but not sure if that would work... any help?
  Send a private message to this user    
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: removing woodgrain from dash facia on a '22 Thu, 11 November 2004 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can you just paint over it??? Smile never really thought about removing mine, i always liked that look! (old school)

Juzzo
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: removing woodgrain from dash facia on a '22 Thu, 11 November 2004 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its removable?

if its glued on try chemical....your going to paint it any way?

jcmunga
Regular

November 2004
Re: removing woodgrain from dash facia on a '22 Thu, 11 November 2004 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its rather easy, i did took it off my ra28.
mine just pulled off, you might need a knife to get under it but it should come off rather easily
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: removing woodgrain from dash facia on a '22 Thu, 11 November 2004 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup, just peel it off.
They come off fairly easily since they are >25yrs old.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: removing woodgrain from dash facia on a '22 Thu, 11 November 2004 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
juzzo84 wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 19:09

can you just paint over it??? Smile never really thought about removing mine, i always liked that look! (old school)

Juzzo

the reason i want it off is cause i want to paint the centre console silver (just the centre part) and the facia silver too like the GT

also i have an IMMACULATE condition one that i will never touch so if all else fails i can fall back on that one

EDIT: thatnks for the ideas ill try it on one of the facias i have... lucky i have 3 including the immac one (you gotta love test pieces Very Happy )

[Updated on: Thu, 11 November 2004 09:03]

Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: removing woodgrain from dash facia on a '22 Thu, 11 November 2004 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I highly recommend a heat gun for this (not sure if a hair dryer will be strong enough)
it melts the glue and the woodgrain plastic slides off
no scratching with a knife
Azrael
Regular

September 2003
Re: removing woodgrain from dash facia on a '22 Fri, 12 November 2004 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wouldn't a heat gun melt the plastic dash???

Underneath the woodgrain the plastic has a stippled effect. If you're not VERY carefull with a knife you'll damage this easily. This looks crap when painted over, looks damaged. I would avaoid using a knife or scraper and try pulling off any loose bit and sticking some turps - or similar - to disolve the glue (You may wanna check that the chemical you use doesn't disolve the plastic too).
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: removing woodgrain from dash facia on a '22 Fri, 12 November 2004 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trust me a heat gun's the way to go. takes two seconds. Doesn't melt the plastic underneath.

I used mine on the low setting.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: removing woodgrain from dash facia on a '22 Fri, 12 November 2004 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

GT's also came with a black dash. I'm currently doing up a dash for the car, and under the woodgrain stuff is black plastic - same as the GT dash. So, it's less work (not having to spray it silver), though I need to repaint the silver-white around the dash gauges and radio/heater writing.

seeyuzz
river
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: removing woodgrain from dash facia on a '22 Fri, 12 November 2004 12:20 Go to previous message
Rivers right. Not all GTs have teh silver, I have the choices documented somewhere for the GT, but silver and black were both options.
Like River said, black is just the LT dash without the wood grain insert.
To get it off use a hair drier, works real good.

Cya,
Simon
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:setting a ltx 8
Next Topic:ae82 5spd options.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 21:48:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004410982131958 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.