Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » New Car..... ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
physh
Regular

May 2002
icon5.gif  New Car..... ? Tue, 13 August 2002 09:10 Go to next message
Time has come for me to get rid of my "token" NON-toyota... it's a 1997 Ford XR6, running dual fuel.

It's been a brilliant car to drive, nearly 3 years of reliable driving (and cheap too - how does 5500km driving from canberra to bundy, around then back for $280 in fuel sound???), and it's a car that can get up and boogie with most cars on the road in terms of performance. Doesn't even handle too badly for a 1700 odd kilo RWD car... hehehe

My problem is, I don't know what the next car is going to be!

I mean, I'm building my celica up for a speed fix, a (few) corollas for my bashing fix, and i'll be getting a 4WD soon to tow them all...

so I'm left with replacing my daily driver with something that won't leave me disappointed.
Something with the all comfortable crap that I've gotten used to (spoilt I know) like A/C, power steering, cruise control, ABS, airbags, etc.
Something that's comfy for a 6'4" guy driving a fair whack of kays (35,000 per year).

Question is... WHAT??? Freak

The ONLY idea I can come up with is a Subaru Liberty RX 2.5 - it has all the mod cons, AWD etc - I just don't know if it has the poke... (Anyone know if the 2.5 N/A scubie engine can be made to give some good power? anyone driven one?)

I want to keep it under $35k, but I'm outta ideas...
Somebody help me!!!

any suggestions? insights? revelations?

-Nick
  Send a private message to this user    
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New Car..... ? Wed, 14 August 2002 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why not an RS Liberty. Do you have to keep it N/A?
physh
Regular

May 2002
Re: New Car..... ? Wed, 14 August 2002 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, i suppose not absolutely, but it helps with the insurance premiums...

Drove the RX liberty yesterday, and it's not too bad. Performance wise though, it's a big of a dog...

Handles well enough in the dry, i'm told the AWD makes a huge difference in the wet.

- brakes were touchy as hell, you cover them really lightly and you're thrown forward a bit in your seat. Very good when you plant the bluntstone on the middle pedal, but i dunno if I like it.

talking to the sales dude (he helps build rally WRXes for some indy group or so he says) the exhausts on the libertys are all really restrictive - a good system will add about 10kw to it for next to nothing.

but the engine - 2.5 litre, 115kw 270Nm or so, it's hardly a ball-tearer through the AWD... :/
Quick enough, but i'd be fanging it all the time to get it to be fun...

Hmm.... RS liberty... twin turbo... wonder who'll insure me... Smile

Maybe a soarer - did they came out with cruise control and airbags/abs on them?

cheers

-nick
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: New Car..... ? Thu, 15 August 2002 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How about a V6 Camry? Plenty of poke, comfortable, and has all the stuff you need.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Car..... ? Thu, 15 August 2002 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I second Max... hehehe NOT!

What bout a Soarer mate - or are they a little too old for ya ? round $15k average?! but thats for a twin turbo, but u could get the 3L six (non turbo - better for insrance)

How old are YOU anyway ? under 25 ? is that y ur worried bout insurance ?
physh
Regular

May 2002
Re: New Car..... ? Thu, 15 August 2002 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
camry... yeeehaw...
scuse me, i have shopping to do... Freak

I'm 22, male, rating 3.

I do like the soarers - what are they like on the maintenance side of things?
If I could, I'd either go for the NA 6 or the v8. TT sounds like too much hassles perhaps?

The biggest problem i have with buying another car is that it has to be relatively new, so I can take out a novated lease on it and package it in my salary...
I'd rather pay 9% FBT than income tax... saves me 30 odd percent straight away...

SS commondoors go hard too, or maybe wait for the new XR falcon. I like toyotas though... but not so far as to stretch to a camry...

bah, decisions decisions... Confused
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: New Car..... ? Fri, 16 August 2002 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You say that an SS CommonDoor goes hard and yet you discount a V6 Camry?

Do you know how fast they are? 0-100 is done in around the mid-7 second range. Shame it's a FWD, but at least it's a Toyota. It's gonna last forever and has great resale value. Plus with the new one coming out next month, the price of the current shape ones will plunge very soon.

Camrys have a very boring image, but do you want to buy for its image or do you want to buy the car that best suits your needs?
physh
Regular

May 2002
Re: New Car..... ? Fri, 16 August 2002 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm... sadly enough I can see your point...
I'll go take a new camry for a drive when it comes out anyway, just so i can see what it's like.

The Camry's aren't exactly slow, but... they're a camry! and they're FWD, and i'm used to RWD - never really drove a FWD for any length of time.

I would be buying it for a little of both looks and go - ie I won't drive a car I hate the look of, just as I won't drive a car I hate the handling or pickup of...

I'm going to head down to the caryards now to have a poke around... I know there's a nice soarer out at one of the fyshwick caryards, i'll see what its like

Cheers

Nick
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New Car..... ? Fri, 16 August 2002 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You might just scrape in a 1999 model IS200 for around $35,000...

Camry? Max, your job in Canberra is starting to effect you... Smile
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Car..... ? Fri, 16 August 2002 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Max - u living in canberra permanently now is it ??
pepsicola
Forums Junkie

August 2002

Re: New Car..... ? Fri, 16 August 2002 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IS200 and Camry just won't give too much power.
How about a Liberty B4, Turbo, AWD, and all the things you want.
I forget how much hp they had, but at least 260hp.
Anyway, they are pricy, 45k ?...don't know...
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon2.gif  Re: New Car..... ? Fri, 16 August 2002 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually Canberra is the last place you'd want a FWD... Big massive sweeping corners. Hmm.... The car's really enjoying it down here...

Les, nah, only here for a 6 month contract. Maybe a little longer.

pepsicola, the B4 is somewhere between $60k and $80k isn't it? A bit out of the price range...

[Updated on: Fri, 16 August 2002 06:06]

physh
Regular

May 2002
Re: New Car..... ? Fri, 16 August 2002 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I love canberra!
ok ok, i'll prolly get shot down for it, but I do. It's nice here.

what do you do for a living Max?
only here for 6 months?

B4's are 55k, same as an STi (+onroads etc) so a bit higher than I want to go.

Spoke to a guy out at fyshwick - said he gets GT v8 soarers through at around 16k mark, 1991-2.

but... there was a beautiful black mkIV supra sitting there.. 1994 one... twin turbo... manual... *drools*

but he has 37,990 on it... Sad

a 2nd hand audi A4 1.8T quattro for about 30k perhaps? anyone heard anything good about them?

-nick
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New Car..... ? Fri, 16 August 2002 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arrggh!! Stay away from the Audi... my boss has one, I don't know if it's just his or not, but it's been back to Audi quite a few times... it's done 60k km's, he doesnt drive it that hard, and so far it has had changed:

- CVs
- first the head
- then complete engine rebuild
- turbo
- gearbox ($18k!!!) - prob still exists even after changing
- interior - bits ordered 3mnths ago still not arrived
- dash, electric probs
- lots of other stuff

All still under warranty, luckily.... I don't know if they're all like that, but his one is a lemon.. Audi were helpful at first, but lately he's been having to write letters to Audi to get anything done...
physh
Regular

May 2002
Re: New Car..... ? Fri, 16 August 2002 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fark...

I'll be stayin away from that one then... Sad

maybe a v8 dual fuel hilux... lift kit, 33"ers on it... bullbars...
go the opposite way - if I can't beat em at the lights I'll just drive over them... Smile
turbokid
Regular

May 2002
Re: New Car..... ? Fri, 16 August 2002 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

second hand VW Passat. they go hard. triptronic (or whatever). all the comforts. depending on year of make you'll pay probably high 30's
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Car..... ? Fri, 16 August 2002 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
W124 Mercedes, 300CE-24 or something of that calibre, very comfy, got some poke, and look sweet when dropped with deep dish wheels and a very mild kit
thug_immortal
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: New Car..... ? Sat, 17 August 2002 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Import a supra or skyline, comfort, style and performance...plus da chicks dig 'em, what mor could u want?
Toby AE82 Twin
Regular

July 2002
Re: New Car..... ? Mon, 19 August 2002 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How about a Gti Golf? 110kw, 0-100 in 8.5, top speed 216km/h. I went for a ride in a mates and they are quite classy too. Cost $38k can get leather for a couple more g's. Good economy from the 1.8 turbo too.

The V5 Boras arent bad either.

Or even a 2.5L RS Impreza if you want to stay N/A? 0-100 in 8.9, 0.1 quicker than the Liberty. If you are doing a lot of k's I hear the scubies are good. Low 30s price tag too.
strober
Regular

June 2002
Re: New Car..... ? Thu, 22 August 2002 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think a 98 magna would be nice, cheap and the rest.
down side, it is a FWD and i think that mitsu gear boxes are pretty delicate Skull - Mad
the hilux sounds like a good idea though
mazda astina are pretty quick 0-100 but again a FWD
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Car..... ? Thu, 22 August 2002 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
35K huh ?

ok lemme think

2000 model XR8 ( 200KW model ) Better handling than a dunnydore -little less straight line poke - upgrade from what you had

Camry touring ( V6 - handles well but the front wheel drive thing

GTS-T Skyline ( R33 model ) late ninties - RWD - turbo - nice handler but a pig to find insurance for i believe

MA70 supra ( pre 1995 twin turbo's can be had for this ) RWD turbos - goes like stink - insurance - well - it can be had but youll pay for it

ST205 Celica GT4 GROUP A - Seen a few advertised in the papers for the 30K mark - goes hard - they are a Limited edition - Will Kill evo's and WRX's with some tweakering

ST185 Celica GT4 GROUP A - about 25K for these puppies - a little down on power than the 205 - they are rare , look Shite hot with a good set of wheels - and with the 10K you have spare you could mod the tits off it and make it a definate monster

R32 GTR - Ive sen a few examples under and around 35K

SUBY RX - youve mentioned these

Suby WRX - Smaller + pokier - but everybody has them now if they dont own a VT SS commodore ..

Just a few i can think of off the top of my head

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New Car..... ? Thu, 22 August 2002 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$35k?
go thru prestige imports, get yourself a manual RZ supra... they average about $32K, not counting tires or rego
so give that another $1-2K, and you have yourself a VERY fast car, with plenty of potential to mod, all the little luxuries (unless you're after a reversing camera or something), reliability a plenty, sexier than almost anyhting else, and very nice handling
ok, so the handling isn't up to a WRX or an EVO, but it is still very nice (despite what some people say)
GEE120
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

icon10.gif  Re: New Car..... ? Thu, 22 August 2002 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not that im being biased but the ST205 has plenty of poke even whilst stock 0-100 in hi 5's to low 6's. A bit of extra boost will see you to the low 5's very comfy, abs, a/c, air bag great handling but no cruise conrol.
physh
Regular

May 2002
Re: New Car..... ? Fri, 23 August 2002 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ST205 - is that the one in your avatar gee120?
Where can I find some specs on them?
What are they like in terms of space inside? I'm 6'4"...

I heard that GT4s are apparently pretty bad in terms of mechanical repairs etc?

95 supra... yumm!

Only problem with a lot of the "performance" cars these days is the insurance on them (yeah same old rant I'll stop now).

This is really just going to be an everyday car, and one that I'll be doing a lot of driving in, round town mostly but also a fair whack of highway driving. I'm kinda leaning towards waiting to see what the new XR6/8s look like and maybe even spending the extra dollars... maybe.

Insurance on the supra is gonna be in the order of 3500 or so I'd say, same with GTR. celica I don't know, but seeing as it's turbo AWD... :/

Thanks for all the great suggestions though! I'm learning a fair whack just by looking around too... Smile

-nick
GEE120
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: New Car..... ? Fri, 23 August 2002 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick,

http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/Toyota_GT4/Street_Ce lica_ST205.html
http://www.j-garage.com/331013.htm
http://www.alltrac.net/specs/GT4Specs.htm
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Car..... ? Fri, 23 August 2002 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As an assist - i was Quoted $1300 dollars to insure a ST185 Grp A with NRMA recently

Im a rating 2 driver - 24 years old - and a clean drivers record ..

old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: New Car..... ? Tue, 27 August 2002 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go the V8 soarer. They are an awesome piece of machinery. And you will have some cash left over to tinker with it.
sharif123
Occasional Poster

February 2004
Re: New Car..... ? Sun, 14 November 2004 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Out of curiousity what did u end up gettin?
Just curious cos now im in the same boat as u and want a mkiv supra but am scared of insurance, not to mention the great potential of killin myself!!
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: New Car..... ? Sun, 14 November 2004 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
@ Nark...Is your car your avatar?

If not I swear I have seen an identical one at ANU.
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: New Car..... ? Sun, 14 November 2004 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Subaru Legacy GT-B wagon???
physh
Regular

May 2002
Re: New Car..... ? Sun, 14 November 2004 05:39 Go to previous message
I went and got a BA XR6 Turbo (best and fastest NEW car for the money I've driven), then sold it after 18 months and bought a soft-top Pajero... been 4WDing madly for the last 6 months.

Now looking for a faster roadcar that can handle long trips, wondering if I should go back to a Ford...

Thinking about another EL falcon actually! *grin*

I was sorely tempted by a 1990 Lexus SC400 - what a nice piece of work the 1UZFE is dammit!

But for now, I'm back again looking around, so same thing goes again - suggestions for ANOTHER round of change... Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:How do i get my head light off my st162?
Next Topic:!d!0ts are around...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 20:22:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068938732147217 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.