Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Fitting Number Plate lights on AE86 CenterPiece

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Fitting Number Plate lights on AE86 CenterPiece Sun, 14 November 2004 02:29 Go to next message
Picked up a set of whitelines, but im not quite sure how im meant to hook up the number plate lights that come with the center piece as i already have the bumper ones still hooked up...

whats the best way about removing the bumper ones and hooking up the center piece? will i have to drill holes in the chassis so the screws bolt in? i havnt had the chance to look in there so anyone who has done this can help out
  Send a private message to this user    
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Fitting Number Plate lights on AE86 CenterPiece Sun, 14 November 2004 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shiri, you will have to drill a hole through the panel no matter what.

I had to do it to mount my redlines. (where the tabs are held).

I haven't relocated the liscence plates lights on bumper yet, because If I remove them, they'll be two huge gaps.

I am gonna get it bogged up soon. To relocate those lights, you'll need the liscence plate lights off a JDM ae86. The ones on the back of the zenkis. Luckily, I think the ones on the CS ae82 sedans are the same. To do this, you need to drill a whole roughly with a 1.5 cm radius.

Post some piccis of your car when you have finished.
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Fitting Number Plate lights on AE86 CenterPiece Sun, 14 November 2004 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. remove existing lights/centre piece
2. remove existing bumper mounted light bezels and wiring
3. re-wire inside the cabin (feed thru fuel tank wire entry)
4. put in new lights/centre piece
5. You have to get the 2 new bezels, line them up inside the centre piece and mark out the drillings for the top and bottom screw holes
6. Drill these holes (ie. drill chassis back wall)
7. Attach them to see it lined up
8. Roughly drill a hole in the centre of each 1.5cm radius as shcao mentioned
9. Feed socket/globes through
10.Screw in everything

Turn on lights!! Cool

To have the bezels AND sockets for the globes is damn rare, luckily I had these Smile , otherwise you'd have to improvise and use the existing aussie bumper assemblies or AE82 ones as mentioned.
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Fitting Number Plate lights on AE86 CenterPiece Sun, 14 November 2004 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep my ones are complete with brezels and globes so i won't have to take anything on an ae82... im only worried about drilling my panels... i've never undertaken something like that... maybe i should consult an auto elec...

thanks for that feedback des and shac... i'll give it go looks like i'll have to take my entire interior plastic off too, if theres no luck... i'll take it to an auto elec...

can't u just mold over the holes in the bumper with fiberglass and smooth it out?
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Fitting Number Plate lights on AE86 CenterPiece Sun, 14 November 2004 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shiri,

seriously man, just DIY, it's SOOOOO easy. You don't need to take it to an auto electrician, they would do a job just as good as you would do.

just take all the rear trim out (you have to anyway to put your lights on) and just drill into the back wall, it's so easy, i used a portable drill on half power!!!

Just mark the holes and drill em, if you make a mistake it would not matter that much anyway cuz it will be all covered.

Yeah, the bumper holes can be filled up with fibreglass and bog and smoothed out
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Fitting Number Plate lights on AE86 CenterPiece Thu, 18 November 2004 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
before
http://img118.exs.cx/img118/5259/smalloriginal.jpg

heres the finished product
http://img118.exs.cx/img118/225/BackSmall.jpg

and here is the places i drilled
http://img118.exs.cx/img118/6919/Drilled.jpg

obviuosly i havn't yet hoooked up the rear lights as i don't havea 15mm drill bit... i'll get around to it but as u can see, its drilled fine and everything fits perfect (had to write down the measurments)

the only thing im worried about now is getting my looms to reach the number plate lights as i think they won't be able to reach unless i bend it over my hatch space (if that makes sense)

opinions?

[Updated on: Thu, 18 November 2004 01:26]

ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Fitting Number Plate lights on AE86 CenterPiece Thu, 18 November 2004 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks fucken mad Shiri!!!!!!!

what a difference it makes aye Smile

yeah the middle large light holes are easily drilled, just get a large drill bit and shave it out.

with the short wires:

you just need to extend them, so just solder some extension wire on and away you go.

PS. i used my existing light globe holders and just custom slotted them in, i lost one of the JDM globe holders Sad
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Fitting Number Plate lights on AE86 CenterPiece Thu, 18 November 2004 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks des, it defently gives it that JDM look over that crappy aus spec look don't you think? i think its the missing link actually!

I don't have a soldering iron so i'll work something out with someone i know, he's good with wiring, once its all done, i'll post up a night picture Very Happy lol

anyway... thats it for rice, im 90% content with the looks of my car... (only 5 more rice mods on my list to go), but i won't be doing any of that until the engine is complete... NO MORE RICE... ENGINE OR NOTHING!!! Mad Mad Mad Mad <<---- thats a determined face... lol
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Fitting Number Plate lights on AE86 CenterPiece Thu, 18 November 2004 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha will u have the engine in for Melb meet?

rice is good - good for your health Razz
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Fitting Number Plate lights on AE86 CenterPiece Thu, 18 November 2004 06:40 Go to previous message
its doubtfull... but theres still hope Laughing Laughing

ill just keep my bonnet closed lol
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Apexi S-AFC + Atmospheric Blow Off Valve
Next Topic:are 18RG and 18RC head bolts the same
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 22:55:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052969455718994 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.