Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mikes86
Regular

September 2004
4age timing problem Sun, 14 November 2004 09:15 Go to next message
ok the story goes i was driving home on friday last week from 3rd to 4th gear and then the engine started to die, when i stoped on side of the road the engine would turn over but it was 'running backwards' as in you would hit the key and it would turn over but when you stoped the engine would run in the oppiste direction for about 2-3seconds, got it towed home and checked over a few times and mechanicly its sound atm its at the auto sparkys that are sh*ting me around by not working on it even tho they said they were free, aparently now the engine runs, it can rev to 7g in 1 go but when taken slowly it putts n farts all over the place so ive heard since the work shop is not to close n i work the wrong hours to visit the shop, they have found nothing wrong with electrical system( i think cos the have no idea on wat their doing) but i am now getting the whole system borrowed to do a replace n try. does anyone know wat could be the problem specifically, because now it has been over a week and there has been no progress (dodgey local small town mechanics!)
please help!
mike
  Send a private message to this user    
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: 4age timing problem Sun, 14 November 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check the timing and dizzy
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 4age timing problem Sun, 14 November 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im thinking your cam timing is out, reset the whole thing, cams dizzy and start again.

Theres info in the tech section, do a search there and start with that.

What caused this i dont know but if i was a betting man id say your timing belt has slipped afew teeth.

Any other thoughts,

P.S try to right you story/problem a little clearer,i had to read it 4 times before i understood what the hell you were going on about, + do a search here in the forums, similar problems have been discussed before.

Cheers

Steve
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 4age timing problem Sun, 14 November 2004 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes similar problem has been discussed recently. For a moment i thought it was the same post, but its not. Btw, the similar problem did not come out with an answer yet.

my guess is like what the others say. cam gear tooth out or ur ignition system. Did u happen to drive in water or had engine washed?? washed engine today and had water in dizzy. try drying ur dizzy with a cloth. also try different spark plugs and leads.

Cam timing can be found in tech section. pretty straight forward instructions there.

Damn i seem to be repeating what these 2 said. sorry for that. gonna post it anyway after all the typing!!
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: 4age timing problem Mon, 15 November 2004 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok this sounds exactly like the problem i had....cost me about 1K to find it so the sollution will cost u $500

hah nah just kidding

do u mean that when the engine is idling the timing retards as u rev it? and it all runs fucky and makes no sense?

ok this is what it was on mine.,...one of the wires on the ecu was loose...which upset the whole shamozzle

so pull out ur ecu./..check the back of the plugs..

when this happened to mine...i could drive around but the initial timing had to be at like 40 btdc

tell me if this helps

Adam
mikes86
Regular

September 2004
Re: 4age timing problem Tue, 16 November 2004 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok i have gotten the engine to run perfectly again but its running at 50deg off top dead center....
Bobski- i have checked all the ecu plugs ang wires and its all perfect
so.... wat could cause this to happen, rember that every thing mechanicly is A1 and has been checked over and over again
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: 4age timing problem Tue, 16 November 2004 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does the timing retard when u rev the motor?
mikes86
Regular

September 2004
Re: 4age timing problem Tue, 16 November 2004 12:26 Go to previous message
no it runs like it should but only at 50deg btdc
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:removing shocks
Next Topic:Will i need to Roll my guards if...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 09:45:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052850246429443 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.