Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » How do you rate MYC intercoolers?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
optionUP
Regular

February 2003
How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Tue, 09 November 2004 13:06 Go to next message
Been thinking about getting a bigger/better flowing intercooler (since I think that's what is holding my 4AGTE from making some decent power).

I wanna know how other people rate these intercoolers you can get from www.modyourcar.com.au:

http://www.modyourcar.com.au/images/products/myc/450.jpg

Core size is 450x300x76, advertised as bar and plate with 3 inch inlet/outlet. No-name brand.

Are these the same type/brand as the intercoolers that were done as a group buy on Toymods a little while ago?

Anyone used them with good results? Someone else on this forum didn't think much of them.
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Tue, 09 November 2004 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got one sitting in the other room. There is nothing special about them, it's a bit bling, but it doesn't look any worse than any of the other ones that look exactly the same as them.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Tue, 09 November 2004 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 600x300x76 ones are actually cheaper. 350$
having said that, the end tank design isnt very good
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Tue, 09 November 2004 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 600mm ones are still listed as $399, where is the $350 figure coming from?

What exactly is wrong with the end tanks?
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Tue, 09 November 2004 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
uneven flow along the core

get them from swan tyres in osb park
hoges
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Tue, 09 November 2004 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was looking at one of these, a 600x300 one, for when i get a soarer. they seem pretty well made, and for $400, a bargain too! my mate said something about the number of fins per centimeter or something for the flow to your radiator, that if theres too many it cuts the flow to the radiator?
The end tanks look okay to me, most coolers ive seen have end tank designs similar to that?
optionUP
Regular

February 2003
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Tue, 09 November 2004 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae95, can you tell me any more about what Swan Tyres can do? Do they offer custom made intercoolers? Any idea how they compare on price?

justcallmefrank, are you saying you've got an intercooled room in your house? How does it perform compared to other rooms in the house? Razz

Cheers

[Updated on: Tue, 09 November 2004 14:39]

ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Tue, 09 November 2004 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
theres a guy that works there that brought in heaps of the 600x300 ones
350 each
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Tue, 09 November 2004 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
compare the end tank design to one from a Skyline gtr
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Tue, 09 November 2004 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its also whats inside the end tanks...

do these coolers have veins in the end tanks to direct airflow and distribute it more evenly thru the core?

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Tue, 09 November 2004 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 08:20

its also whats inside the end tanks...

do these coolers have veins in the end tanks to direct airflow and distribute it more evenly thru the core?

At $400, I doubt it very much.

I paied more for a s/hand ARC core that is slightly smaller, but I know what will work better in terms of heat rejection and flow through the core.

All I/C's are not created equal, and although I haven't seen a MYC one in the flesh, I have seen the cheap Chinese cores (of which I believe one of these are) and they are just that, made to a price.

You get what you pay for.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Tue, 09 November 2004 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae95 wrote on Tue, 09 November 2004 23:04

compare the end tank design to one from a Skyline gtr

Exactly what i was going to say!

Looking at them i reckon only half the core would be used.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Wed, 10 November 2004 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone got pics of the GTR cooler?
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Wed, 10 November 2004 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.japimports.com.au/products/jap/thumbs/images/ic1.JPG
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Wed, 10 November 2004 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Under pressure I doubt only half the core would be used, for sure the top half of the core wont be being fully utilised, but you can't complain for the price Smile
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Wed, 10 November 2004 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh, redo the end tanks, put a water jacket around it and use it as a WTA Very Happy
optionUP
Regular

February 2003
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Wed, 10 November 2004 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A few times I've heard people mention "Hybrid" intercoolers - is this a brand? Are they cheap Chinese intercoolers, or better than that?

[Updated on: Wed, 10 November 2004 03:13]

ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Wed, 10 November 2004 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i reckon cutting a end tank off and reversing it so there is an outlet on the top and bottom would make it better
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Wed, 10 November 2004 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 11:07

Under pressure I doubt only half the core would be used, for sure the top half of the core wont be being fully utilised, but you can't complain for the price Smile

Sure it's under pressure, but the air in the top can be stagnant, the pressure will be still the same as the bottom but it wont be movin.
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Wed, 10 November 2004 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought the MYC coolers where just Hybrids ones. How are Hybrids? They have Veins and artereys too ??
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Wed, 10 November 2004 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae95 wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 12:46

i reckon cutting a end tank off and reversing it so there is an outlet on the top and bottom would make it better

Once again agreed Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Wed, 10 November 2004 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is reversing the tanks going to increase the flow through the top section? If the air isn't being directed towards the top through the inlet side, how is having the outlet side at the top going to affect the previous statement?

BTW, I'm not having a go, i'm trying to understand Very Happy
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Wed, 10 November 2004 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 16:05

Is reversing the tanks going to increase the flow through the top section? If the air isn't being directed towards the top through the inlet side, how is having the outlet side at the top going to affect the previous statement?

BTW, I'm not having a go, i'm trying to understand Very Happy

I suppose the simpliest way to describe it is the air will try to take the simpliest path, i.e less resistance

If the inlet and outlet are at different ends, the simpliest path is more complex than the inlet and outlet at the bottom. Sure if you just layed the cooler on it's side, put a hose in the water would flow through the bottom, then go up the end tank and out. Now if we stood the tank up to pressurise it (like boost) you would find the water would flow through many different areas in the cooler to find the exit. Does this help?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Wed, 10 November 2004 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is what I was thinking, just clarifying. I'm actually thinking about getting someone to do this, just trying to work out whether the benefits are going to outweigh the more complicated plumbing (i.e. I had holes to run through if both at bottom).

Will it make much of an improvement, especially as the XX will be all about maximising the efficiency of what i've got instead of going all out.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Wed, 10 November 2004 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could also redesign the endtanks or just put up with it.
i've seen heaps of s13's, r32's that dont bother modifiying anything
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Wed, 10 November 2004 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae95 wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 21:56

Your point is? Laughing
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Wed, 10 November 2004 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It will make a difference, how much i dont know.

All depends on how much power you are chasing, perhaps a smaller better designed cooler will fit better, having said that it will probably cost alot more.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Wed, 10 November 2004 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae95 wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 19:26

you could also redesign the endtanks or just put up with it.

Haha, but they're Nissan owners Laughing

Skip wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 19:31

It will make a difference, how much i dont know.

Say it could be done for under $100, would you say it'd be worth it? The intercooler isn't going to be changed ever, I'll be chasing a max eventually of around 200rwkw.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Wed, 10 November 2004 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've seen them push 200rwkw's before with no mods at all
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Wed, 10 November 2004 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, thats the thing. I've got no doubt the core would core well due to its capacity as a heatsink and size, and therefore be able to make the numbers, but if it could be improved somewhat by turning the tank around then I may as well get someone to do it while its out and I haven't made the IC piping.
optionUP
Regular

February 2003
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Wed, 10 November 2004 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I'd be happy with close to 200 rwkW - hell, I'd be happy with 150 - 170 rw kW!!

Hmmm - will have to have a look at the Swan Tyres items, or go looking at wreckers soon.

I have read elsewhere that ARC coolers are very good for flow/efficiency, so maybe I go looking for one.

Thanks for all the input, guys. Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 10 November 2004 13:43]

BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Wed, 10 November 2004 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon for the price these 'coolers are great, to get something significantly better you need to spend a fair bit of money, and these would comfortably support more power than most of us need on the street. (Edit: I'm refering to the more common 600x300x76 here) I used one in my brothers 1JZ cressida conversion, & as well as fitting behind the bar & grille (no, not the local steakhouse Smile) with no mods it's always been cool to the touch after a hard fang, bar the first 15cm of the inlet side, which is always nice & warm. That's with the cooler mounted upside down, with the in/out pipes at the top, feeling the very top of the core.

Saying all that I spent twice as much on a smaller ARE intercooler for my own car with a 4AGTE (yet to run) with heaps better endtank design, better core & a much more appropriate size for a 1600cc motor, in my opinion. (It's a bit smaller than the one pictured at the top, which would also be a great size for a 4A)

Check out this link for a wealth of info,
http://www.are.com.au/techtalk/intecoolersMR.htm

Their main page is here,
http://www.are.com.au/index.htm

[Updated on: Wed, 10 November 2004 14:35]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Wed, 10 November 2004 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, after reading that site, it would appear the end tanks aren't too bad. They roughly mimic, albeit not perfectly, the setup they describe as "not perfect, but very good".
http://www.are.com.au/inter/ic001tp.JPG
The main difference is the inlet being a bit lower.

They also have an IC about the same size they rate as 320kW, so I think I should be fine as they are. I might just go as is and see how it turns out. It means I don't have to cut any panels, nor try to squeeze it past air filter or battery too.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Wed, 10 November 2004 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good stuff! Because I have already ordered my 500X300X76mm cooler for the Corona Smile That is the largest I can fit.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Wed, 10 November 2004 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some from rolin

Hybrid ones

Trust on ebay

Ok, so what do people make of the Trust one on ebay? And the hybrid ones for $499? Very Happy

Cheers
Wilbo

1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Wed, 10 November 2004 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a hybrid one on my st185
on the dyno it sat at 25 degrees intake temp( with dyno fan )
and held a constant 23psi

I'm happy with that Very Happy
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Thu, 11 November 2004 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 22:48

Ok, after reading that site, it would appear the end tanks aren't too bad. They roughly mimic, albeit not perfectly, the setup they describe as "not perfect, but very good".
http://www.are.com.au/inter/ic001tp.JPG
The main difference is the inlet being a bit lower.

They also have an IC about the same size they rate as 320kW, so I think I should be fine as they are. I might just go as is and see how it turns out. It means I don't have to cut any panels, nor try to squeeze it past air filter or battery too.

I think the other main difference is the distance of the pipe or thickness of the end tank from the core. The larger the distance like the GTR style the more efficient as the air can diffuse out. The hybrid endtanks are very compact.

Quote:

Ok, so what do people make of the Trust one on ebay? And the hybrid ones for $499?

mmm... the trust one looks like a hybrid one with a black "trust" logo sprayed on. But the seller will tell you why you should "trust" this is a genuine item, why wouldnt you believe them, this is ebay afterall Smile
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Thu, 11 November 2004 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Add some more fuel to this fire

A bigger MYC one...

http://www.modyourcar.com.au/images/products/myc/600x300x100_2.jpg

Oh and no body has said what they think about the 'hybrid' intercoolers?

Cheers
Wilbo
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Thu, 11 November 2004 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the hybrid ones are same as the rhk ones on modyourcar
theyre all from the same factory in china.
the hybrid ones sell for more because theyre branded
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Thu, 11 November 2004 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae95 wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 22:35

the hybrid ones are same as the rhk ones on modyourcar
theyre all from the same factory in china.
the hybrid ones sell for more because theyre branded

Not doubting your word, but anyway to confirm that?

also another one (tapered core, opinions?)

http://i4.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/b4/23/3e_1.JPG

ebay one here (tapered core)

Cheers
Wilbo

Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Thu, 11 November 2004 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What do you mean by tapered core, i can't see where it's tapered anywhere?
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Fri, 12 November 2004 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a GTR IC on my car. I think i'll need to change it tho when i get some money because it's been modified so that the inlet and outlet are at the bottom instead of the middle but the end tanks haven't been modified. .

[Updated on: Fri, 12 November 2004 00:43]

wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Fri, 12 November 2004 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Fri, 12 November 2004 10:25

In that picture the length across the top (marked as 600mm) of the core appears to be significantly shorter than the length along the bottom of the core. i.e. the core 'tapers' from the top to the bottom (in terms of frontal area).

Wouldn't that be a good idea to compensate for end tank design?

Cheers
Wilbo
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Fri, 12 November 2004 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo666 wrote on Fri, 12 November 2004 09:12

Skip wrote on Fri, 12 November 2004 10:25

In that picture the length across the top (marked as 600mm) of the core appears to be significantly shorter than the length along the bottom of the core. i.e. the core 'tapers' from the top to the bottom (in terms of frontal area).

Wouldn't that be a good idea to compensate for end tank design?

Cheers
Wilbo

I think maybe its just an optical illusion/photo angle?

If it is 800mm across the bottom from inlet/outlet thats onle 100mm per side for the length of endtank and stub, no way it's tapered.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Fri, 12 November 2004 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After looking at it a few more times it just looks like an optical illusion. The core is just tilted back, thats why you can see the bottom but not the top.
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Fri, 12 November 2004 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive got one of the group buy from toymods on my 1g sprinter. For the price I reckon it works great, to the touch one side is hot and the other is really cold Smile thats about all I need to know lol
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Fri, 12 November 2004 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much of a temperature difference is there between the top and the bottom of the core?
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Fri, 12 November 2004 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah dunno, hard to judge...

The idea of a tapered core is a good one tho? (yes/no?) I think it has its merits

Cheers
Wilbo

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Fri, 12 November 2004 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I spose it'd come some way to evening the distances the air has to flow. You'd make it shorter at the top then the bottom (depending on outlets), thats what that pics looks to me.

That said, I'd say it's probably better just to work on the end tanks, otherwise we'd see more tapered cores.
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Fri, 12 November 2004 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you gotta think how much power are you trying to get? Do you really need to pay all the extra money for a very slight improvement you probably arn't even gonna notice. Unless your going for some crazy high strung car that needs every little bit to be right.....
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Fri, 12 November 2004 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe, I get your point. All I'm trying to do is optimise what i've got rather than just jumping to the default option of getting a new turbo. I'll be interested to see whether the Blitz CT12's can manage 180rwkw.

So, hot much hotter is bottom of inlet side to top? Wink
hoges
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Mon, 15 November 2004 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
has anyone seen the new MYC coolers? they are 600x300x100 and the end tanks look better then the old ones

looks good for $547

so would this design be better then the other one?
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Mon, 15 November 2004 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just buy an intercooler already Razz Many of these theories are good for arguments sake, but I would really like to see all of the above fitted to the same setup, to show that its really hard to measure a difference, particularly on a street car that never sees enough time on boost to heat soak the core.

You may find it harder to mount the "newer" MYC cooler pictured above in many applications, as the inlet & outlet would be placed right in the way of bumper mounts on many old school toyotas. Plus its another 25mm thick, so space is a consideration.

pannelvan_screema
Regular

November 2002
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Mon, 15 November 2004 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey all

I cant see what all the arguing is about. The Question was asked what you think about these coolers.

The answer is for the price these are an excelent cooler. People are saying these are crap for flow and that (insert BRAND NAME here) cooler flows heaps better but looking at the comparative price they would want to flow better.

In short as bbaacchhyy said you get what you pay for

My two bob worth

Cheers
Richard
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Mon, 15 November 2004 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo666 wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 22:26

Add some more fuel to this fire

A bigger MYC one...

Oh and no body has said what they think about the 'hybrid' intercoolers?

Cheers
Wilbo

Its cool, we don't expect you to read the thread Razz I don't think anyone has mentioned em.... Rolling Eyes Razz

Cheers
Wilbo
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Mon, 15 November 2004 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my opinion is the gtr cooler is a big sized and well designed unit
with great endtank and large core size. but at around 500 + it is 200 more expensive than the hybrid cooler.
the hybrid cooler is the same size as a gtr cooler and the only down side are the end tanks. but for the price theyre great value
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Mon, 15 November 2004 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the ppl that have them love them... that should be enough
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Mon, 15 November 2004 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Yep. My name is Phil, and I love my Hybrid Razz Very Happy lol

http://img92.exs.cx/img92/4666/vanupload2.jpg
optionUP
Regular

February 2003
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Mon, 15 November 2004 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, I think I'm convinced. Cool

Give me a bit of time to save the dosh and I WILL buy a Hybrid/MYC style one and fit it and tell you all how it goes...
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: How do you rate MYC intercoolers? Mon, 15 November 2004 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
TE72_Turbo wrote on Mon, 15 November 2004 23:51

Quote:

Yep. My name is Phil, and I love my Hybrid Razz Very Happy lol

http://img92.exs.cx/img92/4666/vanupload2.jpg

Your car is PHAT
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:just bought my ae92
Next Topic:wiring my car
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 06:18:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010502815246582 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.