Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Which radiator for 1ggte Hilux Mon, 15 November 2004 23:21 Go to next message
Hi all, well my hilux 1ggte project is getting there but...

the radiator that came with the halfcut is waaay too wide to fit, I was wondering what radiator I could use, I heard somewhere about a diesel hilux radiator? I went to the wreckers to measure some but they had next to nothing, any help would be appreciated.

cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Which radiator for 1ggte Hilux Mon, 15 November 2004 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want to put a second hand radiator in just go to the wreckers and get the biggest one that will fit with the inlets and outlets on the right sides.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Which radiator for 1ggte Hilux Tue, 16 November 2004 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do what Skip has said and check all the bigger cars at the wreckers, like Falcon's and Commodore's for what may fit and what pipes line up where.

Or, do what I did, make a friend of the local Natrad agent, leave him some ID and even a $20 refundable deposit, and borrow his radiator catalogue for the weekend - Friday night to Monday morning. Go through every single rad in the book with your measurements and see what will fit in your Hilux, and where the pipes will line up.
With any luck he may have a suitable one in stock as I would recommend you go a brand new/recond rad to keep your 1G-GTE cool.
Also, moving inlet, outlet and drain cocks is a simple job for a rad mob, so don't be discouraged if your perfect size rad has the pipes in the wrong place.

Don't discount a recond Hilux rad for your car anyway. A 1.8 tonne 4WD Hilux carrying a tonne in the back (as they are rated to do) puts a fair load on its std engine so its likely that a recond Hilux rad. would be more than enough for your cooling needs.

Measure the length, height and thickness of the cores of both the half cut rad and your std Hilux rad and see what volume they displace (ht x w x thickness = cm 3). You may find the Hilux one could be greater volume than the half cut unit.

Anyway - I still recommend a new/recond rad for your new motor rather than a dodgy second hand unit from a wrecker.

[Updated on: Tue, 16 November 2004 01:52]

baldrocker
Occasional Poster

December 2003
Re: Which radiator for 1ggte Hilux Tue, 16 November 2004 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Assuming your rad mounts are the same as a 85 hilux 4x4 a hilux diesel rad will do the job, about $400. Take off the belt driven fan
fit two thermos IN FRONT of the rad and all should be well at least it is in my Hilux fitted with 1g-gte. Still trying to work out where to put the i/c. Laughing
baldrocker
Occasional Poster

December 2003
Re: Which radiator for 1ggte Hilux Tue, 16 November 2004 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolling Eyes Oops forgot bottom hose should be ok use felxible hose for the top. Dont forget the sandbags in the back and let me know how you solve rear spring windup.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Which radiator for 1ggte Hilux Tue, 16 November 2004 05:00 Go to previous message
I used a KB Laser radiator on the outside of its original spot on my RA23 with a 1G-GZE. Left me with room to fit the thermo fan between the engine and the rad, and still be able to do an I/C or A/C radiator out the front, behind the stock grille. Good luck with it.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:removing AE86 rear windows
Next Topic:Quote for 7MGTE head rebuild
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 12:00:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061821937561035 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.