Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
chubbylover53
Regular

April 2003
removing shocks Tue, 16 November 2004 02:53 Go to next message
i'm treying to remove the shocks from my corona struts to put them in my celica one's. can anyone tell me how to do this. The nut holding them in is really tight and to big for a spanner.

cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: removing shocks Tue, 16 November 2004 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Was really tight on mine when my uncle did it we sprayed it with heaps of wd40 let it rest for a while then came back. He also had a spanner big enough so that helped.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: removing shocks Tue, 16 November 2004 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also had to get my dad and I to act as a vice as my uncle tried to loosen it
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: removing shocks Tue, 16 November 2004 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vice, socket, rachet/breaker bar or water pipe. Don't forget to put spring compressors on before you start turning the nut.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: removing shocks Tue, 16 November 2004 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think hes talking about the nut thing that holds the strut in the tube not the nut on the shock holding the spring hat.

get yourself 2 pairs of stilson wrenches, one to turn the nut one to put your foot on stopping the tube from turning.

or use a big vice and a HUGE set of multigrips.

or use a big vice and buy one of those strut tube undo-er tools.

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: removing shocks Tue, 16 November 2004 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm... is there a standard size for that top strut insert "bolt"?

I have a feeling i'll be buying a large spanner very soon to fit my tokico's Wink
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: removing shocks Tue, 16 November 2004 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apologies, my BAD, you are right. Hire/buy/borrow a pair of stilsons and use the vice, that's how I did mine.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: removing shocks Tue, 16 November 2004 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u know thats got me thinking, ive never heard it being referred as anything before,

so what is the proper term for that strut tube nut thingy?
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: removing shocks Tue, 16 November 2004 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Tue, 16 November 2004 14:58

Hmmm... is there a standard size for that top strut insert "bolt"?

No, I don't think so. Some are circular and others hexagonal, and some are like on Koni's, usinge a special spanner with two lugs on the two arms to remove them.

I know in the Koni's I bought for my RT132 struts I had to buy the correct strut retaining plate/bolt as the 077 part number they supplied did not match the thread. I had to use a 076 or 078 version. Memory suffers at this point Smile
paddles
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: removing shocks Tue, 16 November 2004 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's called a gland nut. try clamping the edges of the nut in the vice and then put a bar through the holes that hold the strut leg to the hub carrier and use this bar to turn the strut tube. this method works for an ae82 anyway Cool
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: removing shocks Tue, 16 November 2004 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paddles wrote on Tue, 16 November 2004 15:08

it's called a gland nut. try clamping the edges of the nut in the vice and then put a bar through the holes that hold the strut leg to the hub carrier and use this bar to turn the strut tube. this method works for an ae82 anyway Cool

teh th1nk1n 0uts1de 0v teh square == teh win
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: removing shocks Tue, 16 November 2004 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paddles wrote on Tue, 16 November 2004 15:08

try clamping the edges of the nut in the vice and then put a bar through the holes that hold the strut leg to the hub carrier and use this bar to turn the strut tube.

I don't doubt that it works but it seems to me that you would be 'shaking the dog' to 'wag its tail' !!! Very Happy

I guess you don't have any tube twisting or cross threading doing it this way rather than any other.
chubbylover53
Regular

April 2003
Re: removing shocks Tue, 16 November 2004 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah thancks i used paddles method. it seemed to work the best and i dodn't need to buy n e thing so it's all good.

cheers
gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: removing shocks Tue, 16 November 2004 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pipe wrench, spare wheel, some wheel nuts.. Works great, very easy for one person as well. Smile

Also, when it comes to putting the nut back on (or taking it off if you are recycling), put a rag around the nut, that'll stop the pipe wrench from ripping it to shreds. They can be nasty tools and the nuts can be rather soft..
1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: removing shocks Tue, 16 November 2004 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is a tool for removing/replacing gland nuts but its
$50.00 Sad
makes the job a lot easier Smile

cheers
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: removing shocks Tue, 16 November 2004 21:57 Go to previous message
I just clamp the stut length ways in my vice in such a way that it cant twist and use my oversized multigrips to undo the gland nut (thanks paddles!). Also works great for oil filters too. Where are you chubby? I can do it for you if you are in Victoria.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Diff oil cooler
Next Topic:4age timing problem
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 06:21:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053091049194336 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.