Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

those funky light little batteries Thu, 17 October 2002 06:26 Go to next message
ok, I don't know brand names here, so hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about.
at the sylvia club meet (yes, I went. only to laugh, I promise!) I saw a couple of guys with these tiny little batteries, half the size of a normal car battery or smaller, powering their cars.
I was wondering, what are these called, how expensive are they, and how much do they weigh?

I'm weighing up putting the battery in the boot, or grabbing on of these little ones
  Send a private message to this user    
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: those funky light little batteries Thu, 17 October 2002 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasnt something like an odyssey or stinger was it. they are small but i wouldnt call them light
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: those funky light little batteries Thu, 17 October 2002 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
odyssey possibly sounds familiar?
they're light compared to a usual car battery... but I dont know how much... that's why I'm looking for a comparitive weight
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: those funky light little batteries Thu, 17 October 2002 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
look like any of these?

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/specs.htm
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: those funky light little batteries Thu, 17 October 2002 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
judging by the dimensions, it was smaller than any of those

but I didn't get a great look at it.. was strapped down on a dyno at the time,surrounded in gawkers
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: those funky light little batteries Thu, 17 October 2002 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
then im not sure without being able to see them. you sure it wasnt just a real samem battery
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: those funky light little batteries Thu, 17 October 2002 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tbh I'm not totally sure
judginy by the weights on that site tho, they're not a whole lot lighter
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: those funky light little batteries Thu, 17 October 2002 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They aren't a whole lot lighter, they ARE useful if you want to save space for stuff like IC pipes to run through...thats why my mates Silvia has a little battery.
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: those funky light little batteries Thu, 17 October 2002 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they arent a whole ot lighter. how can you tell they were lighter if they were straped in a car?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: those funky light little batteries Thu, 17 October 2002 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well you can only fit so much lead and acid in a certain size battery.. although I guess these ones are dry cell.

in any case, it solves my problem... I use the money to put the battery in the boot.
mr supra
Regular

July 2002

Re: those funky light little batteries Thu, 17 October 2002 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they are drycell which also means you could mount them upside down if you wanted to....
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: those funky light little batteries Thu, 17 October 2002 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IF you hang on another few years, the next generation of lead-acid battery should be coming out. They'll have every bit as much cranking power as a typical car battery that you know of right now, but they'll be about the size of a packet of cigarettes.
Yes, really, I'm not joking!
I assume that they'll be bloody expensive though.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: those funky light little batteries Thu, 17 October 2002 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
much like the formula 1 batteries
as big as a pack of cigarettes, and just enough charge for 5 mins on the line and 1 start.

but, alas, I'm not going to be waiting a few years (here's hoping and praying), so I'll just go with the re-location Smile
Blacki
Regular

September 2002
Re: those funky light little batteries Tue, 22 October 2002 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
light. Hmm not a battery with lead in it.
They'd use something like Lithium - Ion.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: those funky light little batteries Tue, 22 October 2002 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the optima,odyessy and the like are actullay much heavyer than a nomal battery and i mean much. the small one way the same as a large non sealed battery.
they are worth every sent as they are much more powerful. haha they would want to be at over double the price.
mick
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: those funky light little batteries Tue, 22 October 2002 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some scientists in the US have found a way to make lead foam up like a sponge, so something a little bigger than a packet of ciggies would have about the same surface area as a conventional battery, that's how they do it.
There's also versions that use lithium and other exotic metals.
grimwolge
Regular

May 2002

Re: those funky light little batteries Wed, 23 October 2002 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Sherwood wrote on Tue, 22 October 2002 22:26

Some scientists in the US have found a way to make lead foam up like a sponge, so something a little bigger than a packet of ciggies would have about the same surface area as a conventional battery, that's how they do it.
There's also versions that use lithium and other exotic metals.

Very interesting ! Smile

Might keep an ear to the ground for one of these Cool
Blacki
Regular

September 2002
Re: those funky light little batteries Fri, 25 October 2002 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like they'd pack a few cca, but might not last as long??

It'd be interesting to see how many Ampere hours/CCA they had compared to the chunky batteries we're currently using.
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: those funky light little batteries Fri, 25 October 2002 14:26 Go to previous message
Yep, the same cranking power they reckon.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:rear wipers
Next Topic:1JZ-GTE knowall's please look here
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 02:49:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051579475402832 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.