Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Tue, 16 November 2004 11:42 Go to next message
Trying to wire up the 1JZ transmission for my 1JZ MX73 swap. But have had ALOT of problems as along the way we are using a Soarer wiring loom to the Supra front sump 1JZ engine and trans package. My local mechanic who is doing the swap for me recommended swapping the 1JZ transmission over for a Volvo 690 transmission. Apparently they are a sweet trans, no wires, and bolt right up Very Happy

Has anyone doen this before, or does anyone have any info about the Volvo 690 trans? Are they good, same as 1JZ trans, will it be able to handle the power?

Cheers

Just the normal mods for now:
3" Hi Flow exhaust with 3A racing cannon muffler
Simota airpod
Custom 600x300x60 FMIC
Hiperboost controller (without wastegate control for now)
Walbro 255LHP fuel pump will be in before car is finished
  Send a private message to this user    
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Tue, 16 November 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh and apparently the yolks swap straight over aswell.
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Tue, 16 November 2004 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's hard to imagine that it would 'just bolt up'. And secondly do you mean Volvo 960?
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Tue, 16 November 2004 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep thats the one Very Happy
Sorry, it is the Volvo 960 Jayem

It is hard to imagine that it would fit, but I would be happy to be a guinea pig and try it out, Ive really got no choice because there is no way I will be able to get the wiring done in time for when I need my car back.

Here are some sites that make reference to the Toyota A341E tranny being similar if not the same as the Volvo 960

http://forums.turbobricks.com/archive/index.php/t- 8924.html

http://www.storesonline.com/site/573683/page/37415 4

If you scroll down to the Volvo section on the second site, where it shows the transmision model of the Volvo 960 being AW 40, in brackets it has the A341E
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Tue, 16 November 2004 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can get the Volvo for a good deal locally, any idea how much I could sell the 1JZ tranny for?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Tue, 16 November 2004 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, AFAIK I think you would be a pioneer.

I have seen the autos sell anywhere from $100 to $550 so...?

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Tue, 16 November 2004 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like the mechanic is lazy and not willing to learn how to wire up the toyota trans.

bandaid solution
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Tue, 16 November 2004 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woofa347 wrote on Wed, 17 November 2004 01:21

Yep thats the one Very Happy
Sorry, it is the Volvo 960 Jayem

It is hard to imagine that it would fit, but I would be happy to be a guinea pig and try it out, Ive really got no choice because there is no way I will be able to get the wiring done in time for when I need my car back.

Here are some sites that make reference to the Toyota A341E tranny being similar if not the same as the Volvo 960

http://forums.turbobricks.com/archive/index.php/t- 8924.html

http://www.storesonline.com/site/573683/page/37415 4

If you scroll down to the Volvo section on the second site, where it shows the transmision model of the Volvo 960 being AW 40, in brackets it has the A341E

the 1jz came with the A340E automatic transmission

[Updated on: Tue, 16 November 2004 22:10]

woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Wed, 17 November 2004 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well my HAS to be finished by the 7th of December so there isnt really that much time lol. And if it was the original loom that come with the engine then it wouldnt have been a problem to wire it up. But....when we first got the engine package, the Supra loom was stuffed, so we sent it back and they sent us a Soarer loom (only found out it was a Soarer loom by a stroke of luck that my turbo timer came with ECU pinouts). And all the wiring colours for the Soarer loom are totally different to the old Supra one, there are different plugs aswell. So its not as easy as just plug and play, although if we used the Volvo trans it just bolts right up, and has no wiring to deal with Very Happy

Rob_RA40 if you have had experience in wiring these up, I would be more than happy to take any instructions on how to wire it up because I desperatly need to get my car finsihed.

The Volvo trans is readily available and another local mechanic has had experience in using them
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Wed, 17 November 2004 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I kinda like the sound of being a pioneer.... lol
I have nothing to lose, so I dont mind being a guinea pig and letting you guys know how it goes.

This afternoon Im going to go see the mechanic who recommended the Volvo trans, hes going to fit one on for me to prove it bolts straight up, and if Im happy with it , then I pay

Will let you know how it goes Very Happy
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Wed, 17 November 2004 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds good.

So this auto is an older style one that isn't controlled by the ecu then.

I have no idea about volvos so are you sure it can handle the power of a 1jz?
..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Wed, 17 November 2004 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont be lazy yourself,

ring MV Automatics in SA and ge them to send you a shift box, $180 and makes your auto manual shift takes away the need for the computer, pretty simple and easier than rooting around with a volvo transmission. i doubt the volvo option would be complete by 7th december also.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Wed, 17 November 2004 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the loom is for a Soarer box and is uncut (which is what I understand), then FIND A FUCKING SOARER BOX and bolt it up and plug it in.
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Wed, 17 November 2004 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh I think its from a Volvo that was made from 93-97 but it should handle the power for the mean time. Its not like I will be giving it hell or anything Razz The guy is very confident that it can handle the power

Cruzida - Thats where more troubles have been happening, the tools we got the loom from have cut just about every plug going to the transmission, I dont have a clue why they did it!!!! Sad There was no need for them to...thats why we havnt been able to track done the wires. Its just been one big head fukc!! lol

I will try and take some pics to show you what I mean
..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Wed, 17 November 2004 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
..J.. wrote on Wed, 17 November 2004 13:44

dont be lazy yourself,

ring MV Automatics in SA and ge them to send you a shift box, $180 and makes your auto manual shift takes away the need for the computer, pretty simple and easier than rooting around with a volvo transmission. i doubt the volvo option would be complete by 7th december also.

do i really need to say it again.

just trying to save some you some money and time. why do you think the mechanic is telling you this, so he can earn more money from you and do you honestly think he will give you the car back if you refuse to pay and ask him to put it back the way it was. then you end up in the department of fair trading tribunal and you are still without a car 6 months later.

again

MV Automatics SA 08 83700430,, speak to someone who knows there stuff not some mechanic that doesnt know what hes doing.

[Updated on: Wed, 17 November 2004 05:15]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Wed, 17 November 2004 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seriously dude, just get a shift kit from MV. Also, I HIGHLY doubt a 93+ model Volvo would have a non electronically controller auto.

Actually heres a quote to support that "In the autumn of 1990, Volvo presented the 940/960. The Volvo 960 had a newly-developed driveline with an in-line, six-cylinder, three-litre engine and an electronically controlled automatic transmission".
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Wed, 17 November 2004 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive known this mechanic for 7 years actually, hes built 3 1JZ powered cars, and thats how he found out that the Volvo trans fitted on because he had the same prob. But If I said he was a family friend you guys would be grilling me about how much experience he has had with cars Laughing

Ive just had a look at the Volvo trans and it did hook up easy as and doesnt have any wires to speak of

I would really like to know more about this shift box from MV though, are they easy to install?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Wed, 17 November 2004 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
me too actually.

If I am running a wolf 3d to control engine and if this box runs the auto, then you don't need the stock ecu at all? In this case what would run the rest of the stuff like dash etc.? I have a chaser dash in my corona BTW.

thanks
Chris
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Wed, 17 November 2004 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris, you'd feed the dash the signals it needs:
speed (direct from sensor in gearbox tail)
tacho (from ignitor or ECU)
temp (direct from engine sensor)
acc power (in loom somewhere)
ign power (ditto)
lights (ditto)
others like brake, h/brake, fuel etc (ditto)
stark
Regular

August 2004
Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Thu, 18 November 2004 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm I wonder if the auto transmission bolts up no worries how the manual one would go.... The 740/760/960 used the same gearbox bolt pattern and the 740/760 turbo gearbox is a lovely unit shifts nicely and has strength to rival the r154 so ive been told....

[Updated on: Thu, 18 November 2004 03:58]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Thu, 18 November 2004 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Wed, 17 November 2004 18:56

Chris, you'd feed the dash the signals it needs:
speed (direct from sensor in gearbox tail)
tacho (from ignitor or ECU)
temp (direct from engine sensor)
acc power (in loom somewhere)
ign power (ditto)
lights (ditto)
others like brake, h/brake, fuel etc (ditto)

hmm, sounds like a lot of work for little or no gain to me. But thanks for the info Charles.

I think, I will run the wolf piggy backed off the stock ecu. That will run engine. stock ecu will run auto and other random things for a while. And then I will get a 'tiptronic' box thingy in the future and leave the stock ecu to just run random things. sound like a decent plan? Smile
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Thu, 18 November 2004 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stark wrote on Thu, 18 November 2004 13:11

Hmmm I wonder if the auto transmission bolts up no worries how the manual one would go.... The 740/850/960 turbos used the same gearbox bolt pattern and the 850r gearbox is a lovely unit shifts nicely and has strength to rival the r154 so ive been told....

woofa347: ask your mechanic if he knows about the manuals too.
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Thu, 18 November 2004 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No problems at all Chris

Was thinking the same thing Smile

I will try and keep you guys updated on how the trans goes. CHeers for the suggestion about the shiftbox, but by the looks of it the Volvo trans should do the job. The place that were getting the trans from, said that they rebuild them to withstand 500hp if needed. If anyone wants more info I'd more than happy to report back with my findings Very Happy

Should have some info about how well the manuals bolt up by tomorrow

[Updated on: Thu, 18 November 2004 03:01]

..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Thu, 18 November 2004 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
..J.. wrote on Wed, 17 November 2004 16:14

..J.. wrote on Wed, 17 November 2004 13:44

dont be lazy yourself,

do i really need to say it again.

just trying to save some you some money and time. why do you think the mechanic is telling you this, so he can earn more money from you and do you honestly think he will give you the car back if you refuse to pay and ask him to put it back the way it was. then you end up in the department of fair trading tribunal and you are still without a car 6 months later.

again

MV Automatics SA 08 83700430,, speak to someone who knows there stuff not some mechanic that doesnt know what hes doing.

there is the phone number get on the phone and ask.
JAZE
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Thu, 18 November 2004 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seems to me that if they are the same/similar transmissions, the swap will require using the toyota bellhousing and the volvo box.
I doubt that the engine has the same bolt pattern in the volvo as the JZ. This would mean that the manual will not bolt up unless it is again the same box as the toyota that the bellhousings can be swapped. so i think there isnt much hope for the manual. However I think that it is a great idea to check this out as gearboxes for JZ engines can be a hassle to find, good luck with it all, i look foward to hearing how you go and what you find out about this.
cheers.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Tue, 23 November 2004 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any word woofa? how is the auto going?
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Tue, 23 November 2004 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry for the lateness, PC died a few days ago.
My mechanic is going to be stubborn and try to wire up the 1JZ trans instead of using the Volvo one, I dont know why because It would save so much time if he just put the Volvo trans on....We are going to use the Volvo trans yolks though.
Yeh the Volvo AW-40 is just about the exact same transmission as the 1JZ trans, and come in 12 or 10 bolt patterns for the bellhousing.

I wasnt able to get much info about the manuals as yet, I'll keep searching
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: Volvo 960 trans for 1JZ Tue, 23 November 2004 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Tue, 23 November 2004 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just on a side note...what oil does the 1JZ trans use? is it the genuine Toyota Type IV only?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Volvo 690 trans for 1JZ Tue, 23 November 2004 13:58 Go to previous message
woofa347 wrote on Tue, 23 November 2004 16:29

Just on a side note...what oil does the 1JZ trans use? is it the genuine Toyota Type IV only?

Yes

I think planetsoarer.com has a writeup somewhere of what to use
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4age 7 rib bigport (jap) ecu diagram
Next Topic:4AG w/ W58 in AE86?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 17 21:26:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006443977355957 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.