Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
PerformanceCars
Regular

November 2003
bigger rear sway bar Tue, 16 November 2004 12:55 Go to next message
think it would help?
front has whiteline adjustable sway bar and koni yellow.
rear had kyb shocks and standard swaybar.

is a stiffer rear bar going to reduce this roll?

http://brisbaneperformance.com/fileupload/store/DSC_0065.jpg

Send a private message to this user    
pr1nce
Regular

April 2004
Re: bigger rear sway bar Tue, 16 November 2004 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suck it and see
pepsicola
Forums Junkie

August 2002

Re: bigger rear sway bar Tue, 16 November 2004 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what springs ur using?
maybe some with higher spring rate?
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: bigger rear sway bar Tue, 16 November 2004 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes it will
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: bigger rear sway bar Tue, 16 November 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it might not....
looks to me like u have a single spinner yeah? i have both rear and just recently front bars...both are adjustable but even with the rear on tightest i couldnt eliminate this roll when cornering hard...didnt know what the reason was.....after i got LSD it seemed to go away, all i can think of is that the roll was being created by the changing torque between the rear wheels, every time i would corner the inner wheel would lift and spin which would make the car roll more for some reason

all fixed after got rid of the single spinner, my friend just fitted a 4age to his car and all of a sudden is experiencing the same problem which didnt exist with the 4ac....so im assuming that my guess is semi accurate

of course i could be spinning a complete load of shit and pepsi could be correct about the springs Very Happy

Adam
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: bigger rear sway bar Tue, 16 November 2004 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you look at the rear wheels theyre both on the ground and the car is on an angle

with everything else the same a thicker swaybar will make a difference

the stock swaybar will be loaded up, it has nowhere else to go.
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: bigger rear sway bar Tue, 16 November 2004 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just because the wheel isnt off the ground doesent mean its not losing traction, tightening the rear sway might cause more bad then good....im dead set its the torque transition between driven wheels

but hey...were both just guessing really Very Happy

Adam
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: bigger rear sway bar Tue, 16 November 2004 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bobski wrote on Wed, 17 November 2004 01:29

just because the wheel isnt off the ground doesent mean its not losing traction, tightening the rear sway might cause more bad then good....im dead set its the torque transition between driven wheels

It doesnt matter if it is or isnt the cause...

A bigger rear sway bar will fix the problem, its what they are made to do Smile
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: bigger rear sway bar Tue, 16 November 2004 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heavier springs might help to reduce the sag in the first place. But yes, thicker rear swaybar.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: bigger rear sway bar Tue, 16 November 2004 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in the suspension guide (under the FAQ) it has been agreed that the standard sway bar is the go. Looking at this pic shows to me you need some heavy springs and quickly! I see both sides of the car rolling here.

Any chance of a pic from the other side?
pannelvan_screema
Regular

November 2002
Re: bigger rear sway bar Tue, 16 November 2004 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It will, but not much of it. You need higher rate springs. Swaydars do reduce roll but not to the extent people want.
Swaybars are desighned more for fine-tuning the chassis. Say if you had understeer you would stiffen the rear bar.

Richard
PerformanceCars
Regular

November 2003
Re: bigger rear sway bar Wed, 17 November 2004 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The springs are just kings lows.. and its hard to find out what rate they are.. Id assume stiffer springs would be the go..

heres a pic from the other side on the skid pan last weekend - looks a lot better from the other (lower) side Razz

assuming i wanted to keep the kings lows in for the tolerable ride stiffness - would a thick rear swaybar reduce this roll - but not increase understeer?

or should i stop being a pussy and just get some bone jarring springs?

http://image-cache.boostcruising.com/database/members/files/S15_Clint20041115094456pslfile1.jpg
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: bigger rear sway bar Wed, 17 November 2004 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well that just proved what i suspected. Leave the sway bar alone and change those spings. King lows may be high quality but they are way too soft. If I am not mistaken its good to have almost double of what they are in spring rate.

[Updated on: Wed, 17 November 2004 01:26]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: bigger rear sway bar Wed, 17 November 2004 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Be careful making the rear end stiffer without balancing it at the front; a stiff back end and (relatively) compliant front end will increase the car's tendency to oversteer, and by the looks of those pics you don't need any more oversteer!
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: bigger rear sway bar Wed, 17 November 2004 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geting a bigger rear bar places even more strain on the outside wheel which doesent help if ur springs are soft...its like trying to stop yourself falling into a pool by whaving ur arms about......there is nothing to push off so all the bar does is twist your chasis...maybe it would help if the car had a full cage but the forces on that one poor rear spring would be tremendous

if you try doing a diagram with all the forces affecting the rear axel it all makes sense....since a stiffer bar is supposed to make both wheels sit at the same height, thats what it essentially does by pushing on the outside wheel to try to keep the chassis straight, but as it does that it actually lifts the inner wheel because if it cant pull the chassis straight the force has to go somewhere and with soft springs there is just too much roll to compensate for......

thats looking at it from a physics way Laughing 3 yrs of engineering couldnt of been a complete waste could it? Rolling Eyes

Adam
PerformanceCars
Regular

November 2003
Re: bigger rear sway bar Wed, 17 November 2004 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the reply guys..

im actually happy with the feel of the car on the track - but looking back at the photos the body roll does seem pretty bad.

So with stiffer springs a bigger rear sway bar wont really be necessary.. ? I suppose thats in the FAQ.. off i go.
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: bigger rear sway bar Wed, 17 November 2004 15:13 Go to previous message
stiffer rear bar equals more traction for front wheels in a cornering situation.Most cars are designed with a very light rear sway bar as they are designed to lose traction at the front first.[it is considered to be safer this way]
If you wish to change the stock balance to allow more grip at the front and a greater tendency for the rear to slide a little earlier,fit a bigger rear bar.As said earlier it will also lift one rear wheel more so if you are open diff [not LSD] you will have more trouble getting power down when cornering hard.
Wish it were more simple.Without good advice many suspension mods are misguided and would be way better left stock.
Best of luck. Smile Cheers.Pete.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what clutch?
Next Topic:170-200dbi MA61
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 20:01:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067918300628662 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.