Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
[AE86] Fuel Pump mounting Tue, 09 November 2004 07:13 Go to next message
where do you guys mount your external fuel pump for 4ag?
where would be the safe place to mount it on and also would be good to see some pics of how you guys line up your efi hose as well

Send a private message to this user    
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: [AE86] Fuel Pump mounting Tue, 09 November 2004 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I made a custom in-tank for mine. What's the application?

As for the fuel lines, I used the standard ones, but replaced the rubber bits with EFI hose.
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Fuel Pump mounting Tue, 09 November 2004 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm..i wanna see where's the safest place to mount the external fuel pump... its just a matter of time i get blown up with the car..

need to make custom bracket?

plus..are all EFI lines the same diameter/size?
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: [AE86] Fuel Pump mounting Tue, 09 November 2004 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satoshi wrote on Tue, 09 November 2004 20:04

need to make custom bracket?

Yes, if you are mounting a pump externally.

Quote:

plus..are all EFI lines the same diameter/size?

No. You will need 8mm(?) from memory.
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: [AE86] Fuel Pump mounting Tue, 09 November 2004 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the drama with ae86 is therte's not much room under the car for pumps and surge tanks, have seen them in the engine bay, or you could do a custom efi tank, wouldnt cost the earth.

Cheers

Steve
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: [AE86] Fuel Pump mounting Tue, 09 November 2004 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I opted to mount my surge tank in the engine bay as this precludes the chance of having fuel under pressure spraying around if one of the body lines gets ripped. So two pumps and a surge tank look a lot like this:
http://www.dysfunction.ws/galleryapp/Sprinter/DSCF 0018_002
You cant quite see it, but just above the chassis rail are a fuel filter and Pierburg lift pump. The thing in the bling bling red holder is a VL turbo pump, and the tank is courtesy of FLYPSI on these forums.
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: [AE86] Fuel Pump mounting Tue, 09 November 2004 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
been thru this and would sell my low pressure pump surge tank and vl pump to go for a simple in tank pump... looks ugly in the engine bay, i mounted my low pressure pump next to the tank bolted to the boot floor not much room but it just fitted then ran it to a surge tank and vl pump under the bonnet...

my advice take ur tank out and put a ae82 pump in there, remove the metal fuel return pipe from the engine bay to tank and put in a 6-7mm pipe in there and run as feed and use old feed as return as its bout 5mm
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Fuel Pump mounting Tue, 09 November 2004 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai: u got 2 fuel pumps? internal and external or both external? and also..where did u get that red bracket from? how much?
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Fuel Pump mounting Tue, 09 November 2004 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Flogbag wrote on Tue, 09 November 2004 21:44

been thru this and would sell my low pressure pump surge tank and vl pump to go for a simple in tank pump... looks ugly in the engine bay, i mounted my low pressure pump next to the tank bolted to the boot floor not much room but it just fitted then ran it to a surge tank and vl pump under the bonnet...

my advice take ur tank out and put a ae82 pump in there, remove the metal fuel return pipe from the engine bay to tank and put in a 6-7mm pipe in there and run as feed and use old feed as return as its bout 5mm

why?

oh and this is out of topic..i'm too lazy to search...my radiator is leaking a little..and i want a better and cheap radiator that will fit with my current bracket..
excel radiator fits straight? what radiator u guys using and how much work u gotta do to get it fit including the hose, etc etc??
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: [AE86] Fuel Pump mounting Tue, 09 November 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Search on the rad side of things. Simon had a thread on it a while ago.
And i have two external pumps. Wanted to minimise the amount of piping under pressure.
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Fuel Pump mounting Tue, 09 November 2004 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so if its underpreasurred...will u feel that the car is underpowered?

my engine (100kw 4ag) not responsive in 2nd gear below the 5000rpm..but somehow in 3rd gear its very responsive..

any idea?
DRFTAE86
Regular

May 2004
Re: [AE86] Fuel Pump mounting Tue, 16 November 2004 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any1 got a step by step process/guide on how to install a vl fuel pump in the 86? URL Links?

thanks.
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Fuel Pump mounting Tue, 16 November 2004 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuel pump manual?
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: [AE86] Fuel Pump mounting Tue, 16 November 2004 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is enough room under the rear of an 86 for a surge tank and 2 fuel pumps. I was starting to make a surge tank for mine but I decided not to and instead choose a different idea. What I am thinking is to clean out my standard one and then chop the bottom out with a grinder, weld a cup in there and then use an external VL Pump held in next to the tank. Does anyone see any problems with this? also I am prepared to sell my unfinished surge tank for next to nothing if someone wants it

Takai: I am also curious where you bought that fuel pump mount from, is it any good?

Anyway I have pictures of what I did and also a good guide on how I put a Hyundai radiator (page 2) in my car at my forum:

http://tacticalevo22.proboards7.com/index.cgi?boar d=project&action=display&num=1094051575

let us know what u think
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: [AE86] Fuel Pump mounting Wed, 17 November 2004 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any efi pump should be sufficient the fuel pressure regualtor on the rail controls the pressure anyway and as its only a 4 cylinder most should have enough flow

Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: [AE86] Fuel Pump mounting Wed, 17 November 2004 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what most people do is just mount it on the front of the fuel tank with either a bracket or some cable ties...cheap simple and effective

i would post a pic but i cbf crawling under my car

Adam
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: [AE86] Fuel Pump mounting Wed, 17 November 2004 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh and sam....omg man u got some skills i just read through about half the other forum and mate im impressed, i have my last exam tommorow and my car is commign off the road to get butchered for 3 mths...u just gave my inspiration cheers mate

Adam
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: [AE86] Fuel Pump mounting Tue, 23 November 2004 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah thanks heaps for the compliment Adam, most of it is just a shitload of patience in taking the time to do it right. So what were you impressed by?

For those who didnt visit my forum I made a fuel pump mount out of some leftover exhaust pipe and some industrial tubing. I wanted this to insulate some of the vibrations of the fuel pump, havent tested it out yet nor mounted it to the body.
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: [AE86] Fuel Pump mounting Tue, 23 November 2004 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
um....mostly your enginuity, im looking for an excel radiator now also so i can get rid of the engine fan, but keep posting what your doing its great to see how people go about solving problems

Adam
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: [AE86] Fuel Pump mounting Wed, 24 November 2004 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the tips adam, I thought you might be interested to know that I havent touched that forum lately because my camera was borrowed to someone. I have been on a 2 week holiday and have been spending the majority of it on my car. I have since fitted bigger brakes and coil-overs, all the unconventional way of course! I will let u know when I have updated it. BTW where are u based?

-->sam
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: [AE86] Fuel Pump mounting Wed, 24 November 2004 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u can use a (ignition) coil bracket to hold youre fuel pump, just wrap some rubber around it too. there's also definately is (just) enough room to fit the fuel pumps under the car. youll fit a surge tank between the chassis cross rial (?) and the spare wheel well. the pumps can be mounted to the outside of the spare wheel well, (under the car) run the fuel lines across from the tank, to the low pres' pump, to the surge tank, back from the surge tank, to the high pressure pump, and back to the fuel feed line. if you get under there and look youll see. its not easy, it is definately tight, but ive done it before.

use a camira fuel pump, its all youll ever need for most 4ag's.

there is another solution, but it involves permanently modifying the rear sheet metal of your car. ill have pics of that in a month or so..
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: [AE86] Fuel Pump mounting Wed, 24 November 2004 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im in perth...south of the river..
i am definitly interested in the brake upgrade and what coilovers did u get? i have been looking for some for a while and no one seems to make a kit besides that mob in the USA, did u strengthen the top of the strut and remove the seperate spring at the rear? or just match the springs and do it seperately?

where are u?

Adam
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: [AE86] Fuel Pump mounting Thu, 25 November 2004 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
slydar wrote on Thu, 25 November 2004 01:26

u can use a (ignition) coil bracket to hold youre fuel pump, just wrap some rubber around it too. there's also definately is (just) enough room to fit the fuel pumps under the car. youll fit a surge tank between the chassis cross rial (?) and the spare wheel well. the pumps can be mounted to the outside of the spare wheel well, (under the car) run the fuel lines across from the tank, to the low pres' pump, to the surge tank, back from the surge tank, to the high pressure pump, and back to the fuel feed line. if you get under there and look youll see. its not easy, it is definately tight, but ive done it before.

there is another solution, but it involves permanently modifying the rear sheet metal of your car. ill have pics of that in a month or so..

Great idea on the coil bracket. I think theres plenty of space under an 86 for pumps and surge tanks, sure its tricky but its very doable. Anyway for those who dont want to go to my forum heres a pic of what your talking about:

http://member.telpacific.com.au/sam/other/fuelgear1.jpg

tank to the right and panhard rod mount to the left. Thats a 2.5inch pipe and I will be getting rid of it shortly and if someone wants it let me know.

http://member.telpacific.com.au/sam/other/fuelgear2.jpg

Heres where I will probably be mounting my pump, notice my dodgy home made mount. I think theres enough space for two pumps end to end inbetween the tank and the panhard rod. Looking at the above pic if two were mounted one would go higher and to the left of the position of what I am holding it and the outlet would come under the tank strap, the other would be next to it, end to end.

Also nobody has mentioned it but I have heard of people putting it above the diffs axel tube. On the passeneger side the exhaust normally runs but the other side its free and theres a suprisingly large amount of space for use there even on a very low car with chopped bump stops. Yet another place where fuel pumps and a small surge tank can be all fitted is where the factory rear muffler is, if a straight pipe was to go through there instead on one side it would free up a considerable amount of space, not that I would recomend that though...

Bobski: I am in the S.E suberbs of Vic, as for your questions I will PM you, too off topic.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 November 2004 13:33]

Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: [AE86] Fuel Pump mounting Thu, 25 November 2004 15:45 Go to previous message
see that bracket on the right hand side in the picture...the one around the fuel tank...jsut attach the pump to there...thats where mine is and i have never had a problem

Adam
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance
Next Topic:dizzy on 4AGC???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 23:51:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0063340663909912 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.