Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Azrael
Regular

September 2003
T50 Spline issues Wed, 17 November 2004 23:32 Go to next message
The story so far...

I've been swapping my T50 in my 22 over but unfortunately the spline at the back of the gearbox does not fit the slip yolk on the tail shaft. After searching high and low, I cannot find an aftermarket replacement slip yolk that will fit, and Toyota do not sell servicable slip yolks for that model T50 either. Before I spend much $$$ on getting tail shafts and slip yolks welded and modified, is it possible to just change over the splines in the gearboxes from the burnt out T50 into the new T50; thereby alowing the existing tail shaft and slip yolk to fit into the new box?

Cheers
Az
  Send a private message to this user    
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: T50 Spline issues Wed, 17 November 2004 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I take it you are using an AE86 T50. I dont think you can, as the bearing size is also different. So i doubt it. Are you using a 2piece tail shaft? If so you may be able to get the front half off a sprinter.
Azrael
Regular

September 2003
Re: T50 Spline issues Wed, 17 November 2004 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Takai, yeah I think it's a sprinter box, it came form a TE71 half-cut and has the set back shifter position. Unfortunately the Celica's only got the single piece tailshaft, so it looks like it's going to have to be a modify jobbie.

Is there any way to see if the bearings are different without opening the box? If not how hard is it to pull apart a T50?

Cheers
Az
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: T50 Spline issues Thu, 18 November 2004 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its fairly easy to take the T50 apart, if you really need to. It would be less hassle to have the slip yoke & uni replaced on your 1 piece tailshaft with a 22 spline one. Its just a bugger that unis aren't serviceable so you can't just swap over the slip yoke Sad

Diff Dr in Fyshwick can swap the yoke/uni for around $120.

I have a 22 spline tailshaft sitting in my shed from my previous setup. Do you need it, or do you have the one from the front cut?

Cheers
Phil
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: T50 Spline issues Thu, 18 November 2004 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you will also find that the TE71/AE71/AE86/TE72 shifter position is about 2" further back than the TA22 position.

I have said this a few times... there are 3 basic types of T50's.
# TA22/TA23 type - small bearings, 20 spline output shaft, short extension housing.
# TE72/TE71 type - small bearings, 2o splint output, long extension housing
# AE86/AE71 type - bigger bearings, 22 splint output, long extension housing.

that is all.
Azrael
Regular

September 2003
Re: T50 Spline issues Thu, 18 November 2004 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Phil, I do have the slip yolk still from the half-cut, so I guess it's going to be modify... I've been quoted $400 from Southern Diffs in Phillip, as they'll have to drill out the Uni from the slip yolk and possibly rebore the holes on both slip yolk and tail shaft to fit a new uni. Diff Dr, when I talked to them, were talking about doing a cut 'n shunt onto the shaft something I was trying to avoid as the uni is shot on the half-cut slip yolk. I'll take it out to them and get a quote anyway.

Hey Karl, My box came from a TE71 Jap imported factory halfcut; it's got 22 splines with two splines being master splines, so would it be a TE71 or an Ae71 type box as it's kinda both?? Cause if it's a TE71 type then the bearings would be the same, and the spline swap may still work.
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: T50 Spline issues Fri, 19 November 2004 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azrael, buy another T50 that fits. Is there any particular reason why you wish to use the TE71 box? If you are interested I have a close ratio T50 that will fit up to a TA22 tail shaft.

regards chuck.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: T50 Spline issues Fri, 19 November 2004 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the main problem i would have seen is the shifter position - is it all ok?
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: T50 Spline issues Fri, 19 November 2004 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What's the length of the TA22 tailshaft, from the diff flange to the end of the slip yoke?

I have a 22 spline 1 piece tailshaft here as well, you may be lucky & find that it fits Razz
tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: T50 Spline issues Sat, 20 November 2004 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can buy quite a few TA22 T50 boxes for $400. It hardly seems worth the effort fitting it.
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: T50 Spline issues Sun, 21 November 2004 01:36 Go to previous message
uni's are serviceable...

if u cant tackle it on your own take it to a place that makes custom tailshafts and just ask them to change them over...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:sv21 and 91 celica stud patterns
Next Topic:78 cressida ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 04:18:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046789646148682 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.