Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Lowered AE86 tailshaft or gearbox rubbing

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
AE86Boy
Regular

July 2003
Lowered AE86 tailshaft or gearbox rubbing Fri, 12 November 2004 02:06 Go to next message
Just lowered my 86, now it seems that either the tailshaft or gearbox may me rubbing (quite loudly) on the trans tunnel... just wondering anyone had this before? only happens under heavy acceleration... should i just beat in the tunnel a bit or alot??
any help is good?
thanks.
searched with no results... i couldnt be the first with this problem, could I?
  Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Lowered AE86 tailshaft or gearbox rubbing Fri, 12 November 2004 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have a look at the part of your exhaust that goes over the diff

any bang marks there?
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Lowered AE86 tailshaft or gearbox rubbing Fri, 12 November 2004 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't know if the AE86 has a rear panhard rod but if it does and you lower the car the diff/tail shaft alignment will be moved off centre towards one side or the other. Look at it from behind and see if it crabs (you can get a cream for that from the chemist Very Happy) or mark up the centre of the diff and measure the distance from one side to the other.
If this is the case an adjustable panhard rod is your answer.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Lowered AE86 tailshaft or gearbox rubbing Fri, 12 November 2004 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, it's got a panhard rod. you can pick up an adjustable one from whiteline.

How much did you lower it?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Lowered AE86 tailshaft or gearbox rubbing Fri, 12 November 2004 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My RA28 which is lowered 1 inch at the rear or there abouts, the tailshaft has made a total mess of the tunnel from hitting it. Only happens when you boot it and happen to go over a bump at the same time though.

I think in my case stiffer rear springs might help.
AE86Boy
Regular

July 2003
Re: Lowered AE86 tailshaft or gearbox rubbing Sat, 20 November 2004 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope I have an under diff exhaust.. so yeah i think its fixing itself up...

gradually anyway.
AE86Boy
Regular

July 2003
Re: Lowered AE86 tailshaft or gearbox rubbing Sat, 20 November 2004 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i think i may need new shox and stiffer springs
my whole set up needs a freshen up!
DOSH is the answer!!!
anyone have adjustable shox for the rear they wish to sell or does anyone know where i could get em??
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Lowered AE86 tailshaft or gearbox rubbing Sat, 20 November 2004 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just fited mine in,)Panhard rod) somehow it eliminated that bump ster, and the stering wheel feels a lot lighter Smile
it was a 3 week wait from whitline, but it was worth it.

[Updated on: Sat, 20 November 2004 11:39]

improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Lowered AE86 tailshaft or gearbox rubbing Sat, 20 November 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bubbles wrote on Sat, 20 November 2004 22:36

I just fited mine in,)Panhard rod) somehow it eliminated that bump ster, and the stering wheel feels a lot lighter Smile

Now i have seen it all , how does fitting anything to the rear of a car without rear steering , passive or active change the bump steer or steering feel ? Laughing

Back to the question of rubbing , if you have fitted a larger diff to the car eg : f series , hulix , nissan etc , the diff will hit the floor at the start of the tunnel at the rear {5mm of hammering will fix it} or use a yoke 5mm in diameter smaller. This also with happen if the pinion angle has not been corrected , remember the four link increases the pinion angle as the car gets lower due to crappy unequal length arm design . This can also occur with the arm bushes compressing with large amounts of torque if standard rubber is used .

Who the fuck is whitline ? Laughing

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Lowered AE86 tailshaft or gearbox rubbing Sat, 20 November 2004 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sure adam, my mate fitted stage 2 cams from TODA to his bigport 16V and noty only did he get a power increase, but his rear window demister worked better along with the left hand front indicator blinked twice as fast then the others!!!!

simply amazing stuff

improvedae86 wrote on Sat, 20 November 2004 23:31

bubbles wrote on Sat, 20 November 2004 22:36

Now i have seen it all , how does fitting anything to the rear of a car without rear steering , passive or active change the bump steer or steering feel ? Laughing

Back to the question of rubbing , if you have fitted a larger diff to the car eg : f series , hulix , nissan etc , the diff will hit the floor at the start of the tunnel at the rear {5mm of hammering will fix it} or use a yoke 5mm in diameter smaller. This also with happen if the pinion angle has not been corrected , remember the four link increases the pinion angle as the car gets lower due to crappy unequal length arm design . This can also occur with the arm bushes compressing with large amounts of torque if standard rubber is used .

Who the fuck is whitline ? Laughing

AE86Boy
Regular

July 2003
Re: Lowered AE86 tailshaft or gearbox rubbing Sun, 21 November 2004 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I recently converted to a supra 5spd, modded tailshaft and JDM disk to disk lsd rear end. maybe a a number of different things that will be lined up when i get some new suspension bits... bushes panhard rod and shoxs..
But yeah it has graduallly sorted itself out... doesnt hit unless underload and over bump at the same time now so im not to fussed about it.
Question how much am i looking at for adjustable shox front and rear? and possibly adjustable strut tops for the front??

thanks for your help guys.
Cheers!
Sprinter
Regular

September 2002
Re: Lowered AE86 tailshaft or gearbox rubbing Sun, 21 November 2004 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a similar setup to yours however no tailshaft issues. One thing to check tho is if you are using the 2 piece tailshaft it can foul the centre bearing carrier if the spacing has changed. So check the bolts that hold the tail shaft sections together.

HTH,
Denis
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Lowered AE86 tailshaft or gearbox rubbing Sun, 21 November 2004 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats the cheapest way to fix pinion angle adam?
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Lowered AE86 tailshaft or gearbox rubbing Sun, 21 November 2004 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adjustable arms
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Lowered AE86 tailshaft or gearbox rubbing Sun, 21 November 2004 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone know of a source/brand for cheap?
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Lowered AE86 tailshaft or gearbox rubbing Sun, 21 November 2004 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heres how you fix the rear geometry Ae85drift

http://www.pbase.com/sprintercity/diff_shots_

But if you really want a good handling ae you have to IRS for sure , Guess what is the base for that conversion .

http://www.pbase.com/sprintercity/image/36595601
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Lowered AE86 tailshaft or gearbox rubbing Sun, 21 November 2004 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
s13?

thats traction brackets right?
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Lowered AE86 tailshaft or gearbox rubbing Sun, 21 November 2004 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have traction brackets being made next week.

garth: s15 acctually.

Adam: ur a fool
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Lowered AE86 tailshaft or gearbox rubbing Sun, 21 November 2004 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
make me some simmo?
wait, your a nisssan diff now right?
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Lowered AE86 tailshaft or gearbox rubbing Sun, 21 November 2004 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no hes using the old faithful t18

nissan irs rear ends dont use traction brackets
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Lowered AE86 tailshaft or gearbox rubbing Sun, 21 November 2004 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh IRS on a nissan, gotcha

i know nothing about nissans... lol... good....
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Lowered AE86 tailshaft or gearbox rubbing Sun, 21 November 2004 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah im making up a few garth. i will pm u when they are ready.

improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Lowered AE86 tailshaft or gearbox rubbing Sun, 21 November 2004 21:04 Go to previous message
Simon , are you making the brackets with the arm ach worked out so to not shorten the wheel base of the car , Fool i thought that was your nick name Laughing Also you can rework the pinion angle with the traction brackets , so getting rid of two problems at the same time Garth .
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:newbie q's / 18rg RA23
Next Topic:adm t-50 to jdm rwd 4age?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 12:39:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.1742799282074 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.