Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Types of 20V Sat, 20 November 2004 00:26 Go to next message
I am considering converting an AE71 to 20 Valve...

First things first... Theres the Silvertop... with the AFM...
then theres the Blacktop... only out of AE111's with the MAP sensor...

From the info on Club4ag only the AE111 20 Valve can use individual intakes... Is this true???

From my understanding blacktops are very rare... but yet I see a lot of silvertops running individual stacks or filters...

Can the AFM on the silver top be converted to MAP so this is possible???

If I do this... what sort of $$$ am I looking at?

[Updated on: Sat, 20 November 2004 00:42]

Send a private message to this user    
SecaSX
Regular

April 2003
Re: Types of 20V Sat, 20 November 2004 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is true that the blacktop can run individual intakes.

For a silvertop, it cannot run individual intakes because it relies on the AFM. If you want to run individual intakes on a silvertop, you have to install an aftermarket ecu with a Map Sensor.

Aftermarket computers to suit the application would probably be around the $1500 mark, fitted and tuned.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Types of 20V Sat, 20 November 2004 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Then how do I use an airbox when it will be facing backwards???
SecaSX
Regular

April 2003
Re: Types of 20V Sat, 20 November 2004 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Converting to a map sensor would mean you can run open quads with filter socks.

But if you want to keep an airbox just keep it the way it is. Or convert to map sensor, run open quads with filter sock and run some piping from the front bumper up into the filters
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Types of 20V Sat, 20 November 2004 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But you said I need an aftermarket ECU...

Is it possible to pull a MAP sensor off a blacktop and use it with the ST ECU???
SecaSX
Regular

April 2003
Re: Types of 20V Sat, 20 November 2004 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes you definately need an aftermarket ECU.

I have heard of people swapping blacktop electronics over to a silvertop but don't know how successful it is. Also they would be very hard to source.

Best thing is to buy a silvertop and run an aftermarket ecu for your application.

[Updated on: Sat, 20 November 2004 02:34]

79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Types of 20V Sat, 20 November 2004 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are blacktops that much more expensive??? Because finding a blacktop for the right price will be better for me than trying to hybridise a ST to run quads... unless I leave the airbox at the back of the engine bay and devise some sort of huge CAI or scoop...
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: Types of 20V Sat, 20 November 2004 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when i bought my silvertop it was like $650 for motor and box and a blacktop was $1490 i got a micotech for $1000 so it worked out about the same for silvertop and aftermarket comp then a blacktop...

u cant fit dizzy and have to make up some kinda water setup, get custom extractors run trumpets or make custom plenum... its more effort but has far better results!
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Types of 20V Sat, 20 November 2004 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think i'll just go the blacktop... I can't do all that custom wiring shit... I think i'll have enough trouble with the factory loom!
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: Types of 20V Sat, 20 November 2004 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The blacktop wiring is harder than the silvertop wiring due to teh blacktop's using the newer style of engine loom. You will have a LOT of wiring mods to do after you hack up your firewall to clear the distributor and thermostat housing, as you have to strip down and lengthen the entire engine loom.

You will also need to source a speedo pulse sender if you want the stock ECU to allow the engine to rev out to 8200 instead of 7500. The AE71 speedo assembly does not have the 4 pulse output like an AE86 cluster, so you need to get one of those pulse senders that piggyback onto the mechanical drive out of the gearbox for the speed sensor signal.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Types of 20V Sat, 20 November 2004 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FUCK!... sorry

I'm just gonna buy a 4AGE and put in some cams, extractors and Wiseco pistons or something... much easier...
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Types of 20V Sat, 20 November 2004 05:53 Go to previous message
Thanks for your help guys, you've cleared up a lot of uncertainties... hopefully this helps others too
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Turbos installed, now almost no boost
Next Topic:JZ -> MA61 engine mounts... anyone gotta pic?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 19:34:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044300556182861 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.