Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
device01
Newcomer

November 2004
VVTi? need info Fri, 19 November 2004 00:49 Go to next message
Im not a tech head, but what is VVTi? (i know what it stands for)

but what are the benefits/advantages/disavantages of this technology. Any info like history, which other car manufacturers has it, etc

Also is there a huge difference between VTEC and VVTi (VVTi better?)

Also i will appreciate if there are any weblinks provided.

Sorry, im still a newbie with these topics.
  Send a private message to this user    
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: VVTi? need info Fri, 19 November 2004 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is a great link.

http://www.google.com/

Razz
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: VVTi? need info Fri, 19 November 2004 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VTEC is the best no questions asked, just gotta look at the s2000. VVTi Variable vavle timing not sure about i prob injection
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: VVTi? need info Fri, 19 November 2004 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VVTi is Toyota's name for "Variable Valve Timing with Intelligence"

Only has Varaible Timing on the Intake Cam. Gives the motor more power/torque at certain RPMs.

Toyota also has VVTLi which is "Variable Valve Timing and Lift with Intelligence" which has variable lift and timing.

Honda's VTEC is similar in that they have a poverty version of VTEC as in the Civic and the High Power VTEC like in S2000,NSX and Integra Type R.

In fact even Holden has some sort of Variable Valve timing with their new V6.

But do what Nark said

This is a great link.

http://www.google.com/

wuzah?
Regular

October 2004
Re: VVTi? need info Fri, 19 November 2004 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vvti is only cam timing on inlet, where as vvtLi has cam timing and lift, lift being a "high lift" cam, feels like its a totally different car after about 6300rpm but you dont really feel the normal vvti "kick in" as the intellegent adjusts itself throttle postion, engine temp, and load
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: VVTi? need info Fri, 19 November 2004 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got some info here -> http://www.billzilla.org/vvtvtec.htm
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: VVTi? need info Sat, 20 November 2004 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Honda actually came up with VVT(i) not Toyota. You'll see CR-V's etc. with VVTi on the side as well.
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: VVTi? need info Sat, 20 November 2004 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought that VTEC had an extra set of intake/ exhaust ports that open up when VTEC kicks in, as opposed to VVTi which has the regular number of ports but variable timing. I remember reading about honda motors that had both VTEC and VVT... or maybe I was trippin out? Confused
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: VVTi? need info Sat, 20 November 2004 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thu187 wrote on Sat, 20 November 2004 19:01

Honda actually came up with VVT(i) not Toyota. You'll see CR-V's etc. with VVTi on the side as well.

You sure they don't say iVTEC?

iVTEC is the second gen VTEC AFAIK.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: VVTi? need info Sun, 21 November 2004 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VVT and VVTi both work in the same way. They adjust your cam timing dynamically, just as if you where using adjustable came gears. Obviously, the VVT and VVTi adjust the timing on the fly while the engine is running and not while the engine is off. It does not, however, adjust the cam profile. The different between VVT and VVTi is that VVT has two different cam timings to chose from that switch over at a pre determined RPM. VVTi has a few more, and intelligently switches them based on all sorts of factors.

VTEC works by having not two cam lobes per cylinder, but three. Two of these lobes (the low RPM ones) sit on a rocker that operates the valve. The third lobe sits on a free floating rocker in between the other two lobes. At a certain RPM, a small pin slides from the high RPM rockers to the low RPM rocker while the valve is closed, locking them together as one. The high RPM lobe then lifts the whole rocker (as it's one piece now) off the two low RPM lobes to open the valves for longer and with higher lift. This gives you all the advantages of a large cam profile engine, without the lack of low end performance.

Linkage:
http://www.billzilla.org/vvtvtec.htm

smashed_wombat, what you are talking about is more akin to Toyota's TVIS. At low RPM, a butterfly closes off one of the two ports to increase torque. Above about 4000rpm (is that right guys?) the butterfly opens to improve flow and let the engine rev out. Honda's new economy VTEC works in a similar way. However rather than having a butterfly it uses it's cam profile adjusting technology to stop one of the valves from lifting much at all at low RPM in a similar fashion to what I described above. Both of these only operate on the intake port, not the exhaust port.

There is also a new version of sports VTEC that has 3 stages or something silly like that. While I know it's similar to the other VTEC operation I'm not sure exactly how it works. I think it's kinda a highbred between the old sports VTEC, and the new economy VTEC.

Thank you, that is all. Sorry for the long post.
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: VVTi? need info Sun, 21 November 2004 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, i meant to say lobes, not ports. Very Happy I had a VTEC B16 head in the garage a while ago (was gonna do a B20 hybrid), should've taken pictures to compare it to the TVIS one down there atm!
device01
Newcomer

November 2004
Re: VVTi? need info Tue, 23 November 2004 05:37 Go to previous message
Thanks guys for all the info and links provided! much appreciated!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:7mgte..ecu wiring
Next Topic:5E-FE super charged ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 13:32:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047128200531006 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.