Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
AE86 Levin Melbourne
Regular

May 2002
exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Thu, 18 November 2004 06:46 Go to next message
Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, and front guards
I have contacts to make up the following parts,like Carbon fibre guards, carbon rear hatches but since the fibre glass place haven't did any of these before, they need a minimum quantity of 10 per item before they can go ahead
currently the prices are:
$750 for carbon rear hatches
$400 for fibre glass
$600 for a pair of carbon front guards
$400 for a pair of fibreglass guards
these are the price they quoted me
just make a post here to show your interest so that i can ask the guy to do it.
they already have some carbon bonnet for $650 each but currently out of stock......
I am trying to ask them to make some vented carbon bonnet too..
  Send a private message to this user    
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Thu, 18 November 2004 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86 Levin Melbourne wrote on Thu, 18 November 2004 17:46

they already have some carbon bonnet for $650 each but currently out of stock......
I am trying to ask them to make some vented carbon bonnet too..

Do this and you will have many new friend......

Do you know if the bonnets are made to cope with UV exposure?
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Thu, 18 November 2004 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And I'm guessing that its model specific to the AE86's? Or does your contacts deal with other Toyota makes?
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Thu, 18 November 2004 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your contact does other Toyota I'll be very interested as well like Yian.

Cheers.
pr1nce
Regular

April 2004
Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Thu, 18 November 2004 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shit, put me down for an ae86 sprinter/levin carbon bonnet!
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Thu, 18 November 2004 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carbon bonnet with air dam vent please
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Thu, 18 November 2004 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alan, keep me informed about the bonnets! would be interested in a while... thanks
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Thu, 18 November 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interested in fibre glass hatch.
exquisit
Regular

May 2003
Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Thu, 18 November 2004 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
interested in carbon hatch, guards n vented bonnet
pr1nce
Regular

April 2004
Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Fri, 19 November 2004 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i'm REAL interested...
my bonnet needs to be resprayed BAD, but i might as well buy a new bonnet now that this is come up...
i'd like to see pics first though...

but i'm real interested!
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Fri, 19 November 2004 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86slaver wrote on Thu, 18 November 2004 20:30

Carbon bonnet with air dam vent please

Word.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Fri, 19 November 2004 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
carbon fibre rear hatch with a TRD ducktail moulded into all 1 piece with lexan glass too would be nice

also, a barbon fibre hatch panel, that little wood piece that covers the whole in the interior or the hatch
AE86Boy
Regular

July 2003
Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Fri, 19 November 2004 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vented Carbon Bonnet Please!!!
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Sat, 20 November 2004 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carbon Mirror covers ? Carbon fuel flap , both huge weight saving parts .

Whats this "barbon" ae86drift ? new tech ?

I also second that rear hatch piece as well as a bloody parcel shelf , now who doesn't want a stronger one of those !

Laughing
"Do you know if the bonnets are made to cope with UV exposure?"
Laughing

Takumi wanabees will not care about this since they only come out at night anyway Laughing

Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Sat, 20 November 2004 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
full carbon bonnet or just 1 layer of carbon on the surface?

ae86 levin: ask the maker what resin he is using..normally people use poly resin (cheapest resin) and it might not stand the engine bay heat...
MFX_Neko_86
Forums Junkie

September 2004

Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Sat, 20 November 2004 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They would have to use some sort of polyester resin... poly meaning polymer meaning plastic and thats just what fibreglass (FRP) is - fibreglass reinfoced plastic.
CFP ( carbon ) - same goes...

Polymer resin does stand up to the heat, and if you used somehting like epoxide resin etc, yes it would be stronger, but much more expensive, and theres no way you would get these parts for these prices. ( gelocat, normal gelcoat withstands up to at least 180 degrees, and fibreglass can withold more)

improved ae86 - it depends if they add some UV protectant in with the catalyst, but still over time its gauranteed to start to go yellow.... it happenes with all clear gelcoat/resins with time...

with their carbon, do you know how it is made? hand laid or vaccumed? and is it pure carbon or one layer carbon, reinforced by glass?

Neko ^-^

[Updated on: Sat, 20 November 2004 08:38]

Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Sat, 20 November 2004 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey neko....poly resin are able to stand the engine bay heat?
MFX_Neko_86
Forums Junkie

September 2004

Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Sun, 21 November 2004 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup satoshi, there are heaps of different types of polyester resin, because they are used for many different things.

[Updated on: Sun, 21 November 2004 03:22]

AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Sun, 21 November 2004 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
improvedae86 wrote on Sat, 20 November 2004 11:35

Takumi wanabees will not care about this since they only come out at night anyway Laughing

Well, I aint a Takumi wannabe, so I want to know! Twisted Evil Razz

AE86 Levin Melbourne: Can you find out please?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Sun, 21 November 2004 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
carbon fibre moulded and aluminium reinforced parcel shelf with 6x9 holes !!!!!!!
purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Mon, 22 November 2004 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CArbon bonnet with vent please and a hatch without keyhole and N2 wing molded in

Brad
AE86 Levin Melbourne
Regular

May 2002
Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Mon, 22 November 2004 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok.....talk to the supplier again...
looks like we are not going to make the hatch at the moment coz I am not sure which type to make as someone perfer with the n2 wing and someone perfer standard. They can only make 1 mould because it will cost too much to make 2 moulds...
however, the guard will be avaliable around feb/march next year and will be avaliable in Levin type 1st. And it will be the vented type...
the bonnet....they already made the mould in OEM type. so they have to make another mould for vented type. it is possible but it will costs more...
they are selling $650 for a Carbon bonnet, but if u want a vented one, it will be $850.....
currently the bonnet is out of stock and will be avaliable in mid January.....
the bonnet weight 6.5 kg and is made with carbon fibre top and fibre glas for the back, will post some pic soon, or as seen on my car in the Autosaloon magzine.
the bonnet can be made to order with fully carbon fibre with no reenforcement at the back, but i would say this is only suitable for track/race use.

[Updated on: Mon, 22 November 2004 16:06]

Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Mon, 22 November 2004 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yian wrote on Thu, 18 November 2004 18:18

And I'm guessing that its model specific to the AE86's? Or does your contacts deal with other Toyota makes?

pr1nce
Regular

April 2004
Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Mon, 22 November 2004 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can you please post pics of the non vented carbon top/fibreglass rear bonnet?
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Mon, 22 November 2004 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Thu, 18 November 2004 17:49

Do you know if the bonnets are made to cope with UV exposure?

Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Tue, 23 November 2004 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Who is making them? Post details please so we can deal with them directly.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Tue, 23 November 2004 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carbon fibre has interesting properties. And the Poly resins are much more pliable at lower temps. Epoxys tend to melt at about 250*, wheras polymers and polyesters tend to break down at around 150-160*.
Now with day temps at around 40* and under bonnet temps getting up i wouldnt like to see how pliable a poly CF bonnet would be at 250km/h+.

pr1nce
Regular

April 2004
Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Tue, 23 November 2004 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe the air would cool it down
MFX_Neko_86
Forums Junkie

September 2004

Re: exp. of interest, Carbon/fibreglass rear hatches, front guards etc Tue, 23 November 2004 10:53 Go to previous message
LOL, maybe Laughing

takai, thanks for that, i wasnt sure of the exact temps, but poly does work for bonnets - well, all the places i know that do bonnets use it..... plus the poly resin is of the thermoset type, so thatd be a huge factor too innit?

Can you tell me about heat resistance of gelcoat then? My tafe teacher said it was 180, and that resin withheld up to more... ( normal gelcoat, i know tooling is designed to withstand stupid amounts of heat as its for moulding)

Actually maybe i will pm you and stop hijacking this thread Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 23 November 2004 10:58]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Warning To ST-162 Owners
Next Topic:Worst accident you've been in while driving? [RIP R34] 22/11/2004
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 10:55:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.007767915725708 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.