Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

3TGTE + 2TG Head Fri, 19 November 2004 16:17 Go to next message
is there any documented proof that the 2TG head is soo much better than the stocker?

I am looking at doing this comversion..
hybrid 3TGTEU/2TG Head.

has anyone done this conversion.. and would have any good tips etc to help out?

if I de get one going.. I will be dyno'ing before the swap.. and after.

(c:
  Send a private message to this user    
nabs478
Regular

March 2003
    -
Re: 3TGTE + 2TG Head Sat, 20 November 2004 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Id be very interested in your result, I currently have my 3TGTE out of the car and have a 2TG with a blown big end in my garage.

c'mon people give this man some info!
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 3TGTE + 2TG Head Sat, 20 November 2004 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a few people have apparently done the conversion, Rod (thetoyman75) is currently doing it now...

as for it being better im not sure bout that but it is less hassel in the future if you get it done cause less spark plugs, so cheaper service and less headache tuning, less weight as there are one coil pack, one set of leads, less sparkies and lighter head i believe

im also considering this mod but am iffy bout it cause i recon i can get better results keeping the twin spark and tuning it right as there is going to be a better and bigger spark than the 2TG head (but i could be wrong)
SRacin
Regular

March 2004

Re: 3TGTE + 2TG Head Sat, 20 November 2004 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have just done this, but have got the motor up and running yet..

some pictures here..

http://classic-celica.50megs.com/newcorolla.html

As I see it the main difference between the head is the combustion chamber and the intake ports, the 2tg has even port spacing, where as on the 3t 1&2 and 3&4 are kinda of grouped together, this could effect the flow rate, but is unproven.

Also the twinspark vs single spark, twinspark yes you would have more spark, but i believe that the flame front is not the great, with the twin spark you great two flame fronts which collide, this could be good from a complete mixing point of view(one of the reasons twinspark is used is for emmisions) but not the best flame front.

Also the 2tg have bigger cams..

Logan

[Updated on: Sat, 20 November 2004 20:10]

setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

Re: 3TGTE + 2TG Head Sun, 21 November 2004 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hrmns.
so ime guessing that the 3TG inlet manifold it not compatible with the 2TG head...
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3TGTE + 2TG Head Sun, 21 November 2004 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Setsuna, yes you are correct the 3T-GT inlet manifold will not fit on the 2T-GE head. BUT the 2T-GE intake manifold is the way to go for an intercooled setup.

The 3T-GT has the throttle body in the centre of the plenum, over the rocker cover. The 2T-GE, has the throttle body at the front of the plenum, Ideal for I/C.

Na cams in the 2T-GE have a larger duration than 3T-GT, so some better breathing for Nix.

Just be carefull and check the 2T-GE head is the right one for your 3T-GTE pistons, Some 2T-GE heads have a very small squish area.

The 3T-GT and 2T-GE exhaust manifolds are compatable!

regards Chuck.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 3TGTE + 2TG Head Sun, 21 November 2004 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So what do you guys do for a distributor? Use a 2TG one in the block or something?
setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

Re: 3TGTE + 2TG Head Sun, 21 November 2004 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess so O_O
well anyway.. just using half the leads from the 3TG should work for now?

I intend on converting the dizzy into some sort of CAS.
and run seperate coils.
DuMp
Regular

June 2004
Re: 3TGTE + 2TG Head Mon, 21 March 2005 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im currently very very interested in doing this my self but theres a few things im unsure of...

Quote:

Just be carefull and check the 2T-GE head is the right one for your 3T-GTE pistons, Some 2T-GE heads have a very small squish area.

which heads are these, because dont the pistons need to be flycut for valve reliefs. ive got a 2tgeu here at home its got the 888-263 head. the dog of the heads, the last one to come out and emission controled off its tits.

but if i dont need to have the pistons fly cut then thats great news for me cos its money in the wallet that can go to other mods.

oh the car its going in is a te71 gt apex coupe
setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

Re: 3TGTE + 2TG Head Tue, 22 March 2005 00:38 Go to previous message
also I think that head has offset pistons...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:do bigger tyres = slower or faster than actual speedo readings?
Next Topic:Fitting Apexi Pod filter to GT4
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 09:18:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075271129608154 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.