Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Fri, 19 November 2004 22:34 Go to next message
I want my car to be 100% road legal, emissions safe and hassle free including registration time. It currently is in this state, however the next phase of modifications when it comes off the road will take it out of this realm.

What i need to ask is, a standalone ecu (in my case a microtech LTX-12s), can it be engineered in some way shape or form without doing it in a dodgy manner?

I really don't want to go dodgy, but Greddy E-manage is about as good as it gets to use as in intercepter it would seem if this is not possible.

Ideas, solutions, stories?
  Send a private message to this user    
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Fri, 19 November 2004 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dale (10sec rx7) has mentioned the later microtechs actually fit in the standard ecu housings.

So rip the guts out and place your ltx in the stock cpu housing Very Happy
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sat, 20 November 2004 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EvilJack wrote on Sat, 20 November 2004 10:53

Dale (10sec rx7) has mentioned the later microtechs actually fit in the standard ecu housings.

I think he said NOT dodgy Smile

I can't see there being a problem with getting it fitted then get an emissions test to make sure it is ok. If it isn't, give it a tune until it is.

It doesn't do much else besides that so if that is not legal then that seems pretty bloody stupid to me.
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sat, 20 November 2004 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
he also said

Quote:

Ideas, solutions, stories?

Razz
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sat, 20 November 2004 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suppose there is more than one way to skin a cat hey Razz

*back on topic*
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sat, 20 November 2004 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex too has this dilemma, And although the Motec is emissions capable (not sure about the Microtech though). It depends wholly on the tuner.

In SA we have an emissions Lab which can pass/fail a car according to the ADR/EURO drive cycle standards.

However its approx $2000 pass or fail. A cunt yes, but if its $2000 once to ensure there are no problems then begrudgingly so be it. The hard thing is crafting out the settings which are guaranteed to work so you dont have to have several $2000 attempts.

An emissions certified aftermarket ECU, mut also be locked, usually (password or mutilation) so that it cant be re-tuned. But get friendly with you tuner and he/she (ha!) will probably just unlock it for you afterwards.

Rex is trying to negotiate if being a pre ADR37 car he can get his Motec passed by a simple 4/5 gas test. As TSA holds all the cards though it is unlikely.

Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sat, 20 November 2004 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rexs other option is to hide it very well and leave the stock box in there with a dummy loom.

Silly really as the Turbocharger and throttles are hardly standard its unlikely any policeman'll miss them...
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sat, 20 November 2004 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, same rules for nsw - cant have aftermarket ecu's unless it's the "lockable" motec.

buy yourself a trashed ecu and house the microtech in it. Smile
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sat, 20 November 2004 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RING AN ENGINEER!

My computer (GM Delco) is engineered (as well as my pod filter).

If you get it "tuned" and its putting out bad emissions, then its probably not tuned properly!

To get mine done, I had to get an emissions test done, I don't think much else actually.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sat, 20 November 2004 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most engineers simple wont pass a car with a tunable ecu - passing emissions isn't the problem.

btw pete - who's your engineer? Smile
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sat, 20 November 2004 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go to another engineer
i know afew that dont care as long as u past the the emissions of the car it came out of
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sat, 20 November 2004 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Sat, 20 November 2004 13:36

btw pete - who's your engineer? Smile

Phil Scott (Phil Scott Automotive Consulting)

I picked him out of the book, he's definately not one of the "dodgy" ones. I consulted him before, during and then after the conversion and then he came and checked everything off.

From my report:
"The 1UZ fuel and ignition systems and an aftermarket air cleaner assembly have been fitted with this engine. The engine management system is a Delco pre-programmed unit. When tested the exhaust emmission readings were found to be within the specifications of the applicable ADR."

Maybe because its a "pre-programmed unit" thats how it got through.

At any rate. My original comment still stands - RING AN ENGINEER!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sat, 20 November 2004 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm going to - i just want to find one that will pass my car on emissions, not ecu control
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sat, 20 November 2004 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your states suck! Razz

If that is the case, I would be doing the dodgy method.

Also, re dodgy engineers: why would you care? if they are dodgy and they pass you, then you are now legal in the eyes of a police officer. Is this not what you are after?
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sat, 20 November 2004 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Sat, 20 November 2004 22:09

Also, re dodgy engineers: why would you care? if they are dodgy and they pass you, then you are now legal in the eyes of a police officer. Is this not what you are after?

Yeah but are you legal in the eyes of your insurance company?
statoJay
Newcomer

November 2004
Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sat, 20 November 2004 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My step dad is building a fairly impressive conformadore, 6.3L supercharged. The engineer will pass all of his mods engine, transmission, blower, brakes etc but wont pass the haltech ECU.

Realistically any computer that has been custom tuned (properly) will pass emissions as well as a mass produced factory computer will.

As far as I know a lot of guys with commondoors are hiding the aftermarket ECU and leaving the stock one with a dummy loom. The RTA are aware of this little trick. I've heard if they suspect it they will unplug the dummy loom and see if your car still starts (which it will). The workaround is to earth your aftermarket ECU through the dummy loom of the factory ECU. So when the RTA inspector unplugs your dummy ECU loom the earth for the aftermarket ECU is unplugged aswell.

hope that helps someone.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sat, 20 November 2004 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or better yet, hide the mtech inside a standard ecu case, with minor mods to the back, and if they unplug tat it will definitly not start Smile
statoJay
Newcomer

November 2004
Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sat, 20 November 2004 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I guess if your standards are low enough to use a motec Very Happy

..nah I'm just jokin. But not all aftermarket ecu's will fit inside the case of the factory one.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sun, 21 November 2004 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mtech being microtech, sorry for confusion (referring to earlier mention in this thread of ltx12 fitting in standard case)
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sun, 21 November 2004 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Sat, 20 November 2004 11:14

EvilJack wrote on Sat, 20 November 2004 10:53

I think he said NOT dodgy Smile

I can't see there being a problem with getting it fitted then get an emissions test to make sure it is ok. If it isn't, give it a tune until it is.

It doesn't do much else besides that so if that is not legal then that seems pretty bloody stupid to me.

An aftermarket ECU can only be engineered, a) Once it is tuned to meet emmisions, b) "Locked" after the tune...
The locking is to stop altering the tune after it being engineered, and I don't really know of any after market ECUs that have this locking function...
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sun, 21 November 2004 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
motec, thats it.

sucky but true.

so go get your $4000 ecu setup... *sigh*
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sun, 21 November 2004 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goes to show u how many people are doing the dodgy..

How do ECU manufactures stay in business, Id expect that a large proportion of programable ecus were put straight into road cars...

It doesnt surprise me that your not getting any helpful answers on this topic. Ive brought up similar topics before about engineering etc and got nowhere...

bugger all people drive legal modified cars.

maybe talking directly to the ecu manufacturer might help.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sun, 21 November 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Other states can get away with it though. WA and QLD don't really seem to give a rats whether you have one.

I myself plan to have a legally modified car so I can shove the engineering report and pit inspection sheet in the face of the first cop who questions its legality...in the least smartass way of course Laughing
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sun, 21 November 2004 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and they'll still defect ya!

sad but true

Nathan
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sun, 21 November 2004 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is where I draw attention to the bit about not being a smartass, being polite and making sure they know you've tried to do everything by the book, its amazing what you can get away with.
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sun, 21 November 2004 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An Engineers report is still not a get out of jail free card tho, you can still get dicked either way
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sun, 21 November 2004 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about a 1jzgte ecu + intercepter on a 2jzge, will this pass engineering?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sun, 21 November 2004 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a possibility glen.....

why not stick with the 2JZ-GE ecu and go with something like an E-manage or better and pull out some tuning for teh M90? I see no reason why an NA ecu can't have its mixtures etc changed enough to control a boosted motor
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sun, 21 November 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisss wrote on Sun, 21 November 2004 18:24

It doesnt surprise me that your not getting any helpful answers on this topic. Ive brought up similar topics before about engineering etc and got nowhere...

Did YOU ring an engineer? FFS its 1 phone call and they'll tell you exactly what you can do and what you can't do. You don't have to say "Hi my name is Jo Bloggs and my numberplate is ABC123 is this legal?"

I don't understand why no one wants to RING AN ENGINEER!
muzzyttt
Regular

November 2004
Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sun, 21 November 2004 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just go the emanage way.nothing wrong with it..hell i use a simple apexi safc with great results..and no headaches...

like said unless an aftermarket ecu can operate in closed loop there isnt much chance of running legal emissions.not to mention losing factory idle quality etc..

or wire in a michrotech as piggyback style if you whant the functions etc..has been done before.

no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sun, 21 November 2004 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
...Sheesh they want to defect a aftermarket computer which is a couple of grand of technology...

Imagine saying to a copper, "my engine is tuned with a Gameboy Advanced"....

(There was some mob making some gear that allowed u to use a GBA as a controller)
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Sun, 21 November 2004 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SupraPete wrote on Sun, 21 November 2004 23:29

chrisss wrote on Sun, 21 November 2004 18:24

Did YOU ring an engineer? FFS its 1 phone call and they'll tell you exactly what you can do and what you can't do. You don't have to say "Hi my name is Jo Bloggs and my numberplate is ABC123 is this legal?"

I don't understand why no one wants to RING AN ENGINEER!

Or you could do that, just replace "jo Bloggs" and the numberplate with the info of some dude u hate...
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Mon, 22 November 2004 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think someone completely missed the point of pete's post....

and some other people have missed the point that it's not the FUNCTIONS of the ECU that aren't legal, it's the ECU ITSELF!! Unless the ECU has been cleared, tested, and certified to comply with ADR's and EURO standards on a number of vehicles (at around $2k per test or more) then it's simply not legal as it does not comply with ADR's.

However, most engineers are happy to allow an aftermarket ECU through, but talking to a few engineers in YOUR STATE will clear this up for you people. For all i know i'm probably wrong on a few points because i have never talked to an engineer on this matter.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Mon, 22 November 2004 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Mon, 22 November 2004 16:55

i think someone completely missed the point of pete's post....

For all i know i'm probably wrong on a few points because i have never talked to an engineer on this matter.

Witzl You Funny Laughing
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Mon, 22 November 2004 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i need 6 ignition outputs for the 1jz coilpacks, thus i cant run the 2jzge ecu.

THe 1jzgte ecu has this functionality, and the 2jzgte ecu is too complicated.
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: How to engineer an aftermarket ecu on a road car? Mon, 22 November 2004 06:54 Go to previous message
ae86drift wrote on Sun, 21 November 2004 17:28

motec, thats it.

sucky but true.

so go get your $4000 ecu setup... *sigh*

Actually, the new Halwin X Haltech software is also lockable.

Thou breaking the lock is as esy as Rolling Eyes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:finally got the 18rgeu going
Next Topic:my twin turbo supra
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 15:59:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0087058544158936 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.