Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
1jz problem Sat, 10 July 2004 06:17 Go to next message
Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

My 1jz-gte developed a tapping noise on the journey to the drag strip while on the back of a trailer. That week, it had twin dump pipes and a boost controller fitted.

The tapping noise is double the speed of the revs and it rises as the revs go up. To me it sounds like it is coming from either cylinder 1 or 2 by listening with a screwdriver. The noise is louder with the cam covers on as it seems to echo. it sounds exactly like a faulty hydraulic lifter but double the pace.

The oil is brand new 5W40 semi synthetic. We thought it was the timing belt tensioner but that is not it.

We thought it was the big ends but we pulled them off and they are fine.

We pushed each valve down and they all seemed to be of equal tension meaning that it is unlikely that a valve spring is broken.

We thought it was the buckets or something near there but we pulled it down and got the buckets and shims out and they were all in perfect condition.

The compression was all good at around 180 and the leak down test was good at all around 13%. So to me this indicates that everything between the valves and the rings are in good condition.

Somebody suggested that it was a gudgeon pin but my dad said that the noise is too fast for that as it taps twice a revolution? Does this sound right?

I don't have an oil pressure gauge connected but the light doesn't come on and there seems to be quite a bit splashing around with the cam covers off.

Also checked the valve clearances and they were all good.

After all of this we decided to just put the turbo back on and the rest of it and start it to see if it had "magically" fixed itself. I was hoping it would but obviously it hadn't so now it is back to the drawing board.

If anybody has any idea where to start looking, I would be very grateful as this is really starting to piss me off.

thanks in advance
Chris

P.S only makes the noise when it is running not when it is cranking over?

[Updated on: Sat, 10 July 2004 07:09]

Send a private message to this user    
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 1jz problem Sat, 10 July 2004 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have u pulled the head off, may be a cracked piston skirt, thats what my dad said it could be, or maybe a problem with the gudgeon like u said.

how do u know its going at twice the speed of the engine
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1jz problem Sat, 10 July 2004 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This may sound very basic, but had you considered a gasket leak?
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1jz problem Sat, 10 July 2004 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you had the dumps fitted id say it was a gasket leak too, can make a mean old tapping sound.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jz problem Sun, 11 July 2004 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when the dump pipes were fitted he had to take the front turbo off but not the rear. We had the front turbo off and both exhausts and they have been refitted with new gasket cement so I don't think it could be that. I would be glad if it was though. We started it with the front turbo off to try and see if it was turbo related but as you can imagine it was just too loud to hear any tapping noise then.

Phil: we didn't take the head off as we had a hunch that it was something to do with the timing belt tensioner so we put it back together to test it but no luck there Sad

Would I be right in assuming that if it was a cracked piston skirt or loose gudgeon pin, it would still show up with good compression and leak down results or not?

I am not sure that it is exactly twice a rev but it just sounds quicker than 1 per rev.

thanks
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jz problem Mon, 12 July 2004 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is a reply I got from someone on supraforums. I am going to be trying it after I recheck the exhaust manifolds. I still don't understand how that could make a tapping noise though???

Quote:

man you are not going to believe this shit but we had the same noise on JWcattos car. We checked exactly everything that you did with no solution. We decided to drive the car a little just to see if what would happen if we put some load on the engine. Before driving though I told Justin we need to check the water/antifreeze. It was a little low so we started the car up and started adding water. As I was filling the radiator the noise got more and more quiet until it was gone- @#%&^%@&$%????? I know it was't any of the accseciores because we ran the car with the belt off as we where trying to find the noise in the first place. I told the rest of my buddies and they couldn't believe it-That's why I didn't post it on here. Now since then (4months ago) one of our Lexus's with a built turbo N/A made the same noise when we first started the car after a rebuild. We ran it until the temp came up and filled the radiator the rest of the way and the noise disappeared-This was one of the previous misbelieving buddies LOL! Now this might not be your problem but I figured that someday someone else would have this noise. (the noise on both of our cars was coming from the front cam cap(seal cap) on the intake side and it sounded metal to metal-we both use 10w30) Good Luck!

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1jz problem Mon, 12 July 2004 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That sure is an interesting post... I find it really hard to believe though.

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jz problem Mon, 12 July 2004 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
me too but any suggestions that come my way, I will be trying!
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1jz problem Mon, 12 July 2004 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Same Razz

*walks out to his car and checks the coolant*
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jz problem Tue, 13 July 2004 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*update*

I just checked for exhaust leaks tonight and there seems to be a VERY small leak on the rear turbo to dump pipe but haven't found any others. I really don't think this is making the noise though. I will be making some gaskets and fixing them all up though.

Did the coolant thing filled it up to the top and still the noise continues.

Got the screwdrivers and pipes out listening again and to me it sounds like it is somewhere around the 3rd or 4th injector. Is there any way that this could make a noise only when there is compression in this area?

it sounds louder near the injectors than it does with the screwdriver near the coil packs. I am listening for the knock noise in rhythm not just the injectors opening as well. you can hear the difference.

any more help please?
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 1jz problem Tue, 13 July 2004 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does 1Jz hav tvis? if so, maybe the butterflys are doing weird shit?

dunno - just that you say near the injectors... (i know it's a longshot - but it's late ok?)

tho lets not forget that someone else here (names eludes me at moment) had engine sounds we all thought were head-related - but were infact totally shagged big-end bearing. Embarassed Crying or Very Sad
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jz problem Tue, 13 July 2004 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used Gianttomato's test with the wood to feel for any movement in the piston on all 6 cylinders and none of them moved at all. So to me that rules out big ends, little ends and gudgeon pins right?

We also pulled the big end bearings off cylinder 1 and 2 and they were in good condition.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jz problem Tue, 13 July 2004 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what is TVIS? I can just look at the butterflys next time I start it as no intercooler piping is connected at the moment.

later
Chris
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1jz problem Tue, 13 July 2004 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And I'm installing a 1JZ into my car WHY? Sad
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jz problem Tue, 13 July 2004 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7M-Brisbane wrote on Wed, 14 July 2004 00:34

And I'm installing a 1JZ into my car WHY? Sad

this is just a freak accident! that is what I have to keep telling myself anyway Smile
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jz problem Wed, 14 July 2004 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
had another suggestion that it could be ring lands? this may explain why it only taps when the engine is started and the differing compression test results.

what do you think?
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 1jz problem Wed, 14 July 2004 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
very bad idea to test the screw driver near the coils, imagine if 40,000 volts went up thru it and in your ear, bye bye chris Sad

what are the compressions
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jz problem Wed, 14 July 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am not sure how many times you are supposed to crank it over to test it so we just did 3 cranks on each to make sure they are all the same.

1-145
2-140
3-145
4-150
5-145
6-150

I am thinking BHG again between cylinders but will check for moisture tomorrow morning.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1jz problem Wed, 14 July 2004 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr DOHC wrote on Wed, 14 July 2004 18:27

very bad idea to test the screw driver near the coils, imagine if 40,000 volts went up thru it and in your ear, bye bye chris Sad

what are the compressions

Coil voltage wont kill you. Its only low current AFAIK. Just about everyone equipped with a car with a distributor has felt this 40000 V go through them while adjusting the base timing by turning the distributor Smile. Itll give you a kick and make you feel pretty wired afterwards but thats it. I found its actually a worse at idle than say 2500 RPM.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jz problem Thu, 15 July 2004 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks like the time has finally come to pull the head off and have a search Sad

how can this happen? It is not a 7m! Razz
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1jz problem Thu, 15 July 2004 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Thu, 15 July 2004 10:17

the oil you using is alot difference to most people..
5/30..
i think mines running 10/40 or 10/50.. though im not sure... dunno if that would have anything to do with anything.
i say u pull the whole engine bare and rebuilt it lol
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jz problem Thu, 15 July 2004 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Thu, 15 July 2004 10:34

5/30..
i think mines running 10/40 or 10/50.. though im not sure... dunno if that would have anything to do with anything.

I was using 10w30 when it happened. That is what is recommended for 1jz's by Toyota and there was heaps of oil pressure?

I have asked about rebuilding before but nobody seems to have done it as it is a lot more expensive than just buying another second hand motor.

Will have to make the decision when I actually SEE the problem.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1jz problem Thu, 15 July 2004 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Thu, 15 July 2004 10:43

Jag7799 wrote on Thu, 15 July 2004 10:34

5/30..

I was using 10w30 when it happened. That is what is recommended for 1jz's by Toyota and there was heaps of oil pressure?

I have asked about rebuilding before but nobody seems to have done it as it is a lot more expensive than just buying another second hand motor.

Will have to make the decision when I actually SEE the problem.

i say you just spend 1 day pulling the whole engine apart.. put it together 1 part at a time till u see the problem.. and then u can see/rectify any other faults too
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1jz problem Thu, 15 July 2004 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meh, id just keep driving it till it dies, then rebuild it, or get a replacement.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jz problem Thu, 15 July 2004 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but if I can find out what is wrong with it I may be able to buy the part of Bentt who is wrecking a 1j at the moment and save the expense of buying a whole new engine as well as swapping it in and fitting my custom bits to it.

Johal: I can tell you that it would take me a lot longer than a day to pull it all apart! I am a newbie to this remember! Smile
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1jz problem Thu, 15 July 2004 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh well.. good way to learn
not that i ever want to HAVE to learn lol
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 1jz problem Thu, 15 July 2004 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Thu, 15 July 2004 11:42

Johal: I can tell you that it would take me a lot longer than a day to pull it all apart! I am a newbie to this remember! Smile

nah... just keep unbolting stuff til there's nothing left to undo... worked for my 18R when i didn't have a manual Wink
muzzyttt
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1jz problem Sun, 21 November 2004 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boost controller makes a loud ticking noise by the way..happened to me after apexi avcr install.was just the sloenoid.

btw what happened with your engine Chris?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jz problem Sun, 21 November 2004 23:21 Go to previous message
was definitely too loud to be called a ticking noise.

In the end I bought a 2nd hand engine and have put that in. But the turbos were on their way out also, so I am going single turbo along with 550cc injectors, FMIC, wolf 3d and 4" exhaust. Still not going though Sad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AW11 SC thermo fan prob etc.
Next Topic:Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 20:43:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.12021613121033 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.