Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RedMadMr2
Occasional Poster

November 2004
icon12.gif  Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?! Mon, 15 November 2004 03:09 Go to next message
saw a Beams VVTi SW20 half cut at CVA.....cost 3800 thou....
what do u guys think?
should i get the BEAMS?
or 3rd GEN turbo 3sgte?!?

anyone know how much is the conversion cost?
anyone tried to do the conversion of the BEAMS SW20?good?bad?
lot quicker than the normal 3sge??

comment needs!!! Rolling Eyes
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?! Mon, 15 November 2004 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rebuild the BEAMS engine to suit, then turbo the bugger Very Happy Hang on, that'd be damned expensive! Oh well, I'm at least SUGGESTING, alright! Very Happy
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?! Mon, 15 November 2004 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
beams is abotut he best you can expect from an NA 2L street motor.

if you want more power, then you have to turbo/SC.

i don't know howmuch quicker it woule be over a standard worked 3S, but not as much as a turbo with 1bar boost Wink
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?! Mon, 15 November 2004 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's almost like asking a religion question lately around here.

Do you like the push in the back that big mid range torque gives you, or the crisper throttle response of the NA engine. The 3SGTE has far more potential for increased power and will be significantly quicker than the Beams in a straight line but around a track the Beams would be awesome.

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?! Mon, 15 November 2004 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and I venture that the BEAMS would be nicer on the fuel economy and less hassles too (turbo = much more hassle material)
The Untouchable
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?! Mon, 15 November 2004 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah it comes down to personal choice brother. depends if you are a turbo boy or an NA boy, both engines will be awesome in their own right.
RedMadMr2
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?! Mon, 15 November 2004 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but like.....will the beams a lot more difference to my current 3sge?!?
Embarassed
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?! Mon, 15 November 2004 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought the BEAMS was only in the altezza? i didnt know it was in the sw20?
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?! Tue, 16 November 2004 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
has anyone got dyno graphs of both beams and gen 3 to compare them, both in power and torque curves???
im sure it would be a very interesting talking point to see the differences in delivery between the 2 etc. . . .

and big willie, the beams did not come in the SW20.

[Updated on: Tue, 16 November 2004 00:27]

bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?! Tue, 16 November 2004 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wheres bill when you need him.

For a street car, Id go gte, unless I was feeling like I didnt want hassle, then I'd go the beams
Senor_2
Regular

September 2003
Re: Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?! Tue, 16 November 2004 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boxh34d wrote on Tue, 16 November 2004 11:24

and big willie, the beams did not come in the SW20.

Rolling Eyes Umm yeah it did, 4th gen 3S-GE BEAMS ("red-top" 200ps), found in last gen SW20 and SSIII Celica ST204. The black top 3S-GE BEAMS is the 5th gen found in the Altezza with 210ps.

[Updated on: Tue, 16 November 2004 01:01]

Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?! Tue, 16 November 2004 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the beams would be a tonne of fun in an AW11 where it's relative lack of torque wouldn't hurt it as much. The revvy nature of the engine would better match the AW11 chassis than the softer SW20 as well.

That being said the power output for the beams is about 40HP down on the Gen3 3SGTE and the torque would be about 50-70% of the turbo.

I wish this half cut was available before I got my Gen3 3SGTE, actually maybe I don't it would have made it a super hard decision.
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?! Tue, 16 November 2004 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just as a point of clarification, the 3S Beams was in the ST202 Celica.
the "4" refers to the crappy 5S version.

& don't worry bout the Gen III 3S-GTE, get the Gen IV. Then you'll really blow your budget. Laughing
Senor_2
Regular

September 2003
Re: Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?! Tue, 16 November 2004 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wagonist wrote on Tue, 16 November 2004 12:09

Just as a point of clarification, the 3S Beams was in the ST202 Celica.
the "4" refers to the crappy 5S version.

Oops my bad, no we don't want a 5S No No No
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?! Tue, 16 November 2004 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've had many a colourful conversation with my NZ counterpart aka:"Kidong" on the RAV4OZ forums about his choice of engine. He has a 3-door 1996 model RAV which originally had the same 3S-FE as mine did. He swapped it over for a 3S-GE BEAMS (4th Gen VVT-i) and currently not only uses it for street but also around the Pukekohe circuit. He believes it's the best solution for the RAV4 while keeping it N/A, and God knows he's spanked many a Subaru B4 turbo around there too. Laughing

The ease of the swap between 3S-FE and 3S-GE BEAMS was apparently a fairly simple task compared to switching over the 3S-GTE like with mine. The wiring didn't take much effort while mine's still getting sorted... Rolling Eyes He swears by the BEAMS engine though - it's a great solution for a lightweight road/track RAV4 like his with very peppy response and fantastic acceleration and speed. Very Happy

FYI: The NZ engine marketplace has a fair whack of the BEAMS engines too - I believe the RAV4's even come with them as OEM equipment in NZ.
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?! Tue, 16 November 2004 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry for the mis info about the beams not being in the SW20, i stand corrected.
ill go retreat to my hole again Embarassed
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Re: Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?! Tue, 16 November 2004 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The last of the TTE rally Corollas were Beams engines with turbo kits fitted to them. If you have the cash, that would be the more desirable option.

But if your question is a choice between a N/A Beam or a 3S-GTE, I'm not too sure myself. It would depend on the car the engine was going into and the type of driving you want to do with it.
RedMadMr2
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?! Thu, 18 November 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gee.......it's a hard choice!!!
anyone know how much would such a conversion cost?
i mean only the labour cost.......not included the engin itself
and how long it takes to be done??
anyone?
one more Qs.....do my engin still worth money?
its 1998 MR2 3SGE

um.....still need to choose one of them......
turbo.......or NA.......
anyone here tried the Beams on the SW20?!?!

and does the BEAMS in NZ cheaper than in Aussie?!?

thx u guys responds!!!!
Toycrash
Regular

June 2004
Re: Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?! Thu, 18 November 2004 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are going Beams and NA with stock ECU, Engine wiring can be tricky...
Unless someone here can get you Altezza wiring diagrams.

With turbo setup you could go carburated and fit solid cam gears.. Still you need programmable ignition for it.

And how about traction control, abs and so on..
I would go with Beams hi cr and lo boost turbo setup. Very Happy
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?! Thu, 18 November 2004 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Beams that RedMad2 MR2 is looking at in CVAP is a half cut, and for $3800 that's a bargin. There is the Red Top BEAMs 200hp, which is a high revving smooth bundle of fun engine, loom, ECU, rear suspension & brakes. It's a friggin bargin! I almost bought it except I dont have the $$$ required for the labour, so I had to let it slide.

For you with an existing 1998 3SGE you've already got 180ps & 142lb Torque @ 4200RPM, which is a damn site better than my 91 3SGE with only 152ps & 137lb @ 4800 Neutral

Mr Beams 3S-GE not only offers you VVTi but 200ps and more torque fun with 152lb @ 6000RPM. You get more revs for your buck. It's be an awesome car for twisties and track days, straight lines though you couldn't argue with the 3S-GTE with 255ps & 225lb @ 4000 RPM.

You'd definately notice a difference going up to the beams, but with the $6000 or so it'd cost you by the time you throw labour is, is it worth it.

If I had $6000 I'd be doing the conversion today, but I've more to gain(50HP instead of 20) from the beams than you. It'd be cheaper to insure, and as far as I could gather in NSW you probably wouldn't have to get it engineered, as it's the same capacity and family of engine.

It's all about personal preference

[Updated on: Thu, 18 November 2004 11:11]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?! Thu, 18 November 2004 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toycrash wrote on Thu, 18 November 2004 20:31

With turbo setup you could go carburated and fit solid cam gears.. Still you need programmable ignition for it.

I wonder if someone could also do a pushrod conversion for you? Preferably with a single valve, non cross flow head.
RedMadMr2
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?! Thu, 18 November 2004 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alchemist wrote on Thu, 18 November 2004 22:09

The Beams that RedMad2 MR2 is looking at in CVAP is a half cut, and for $3800 that's a bargin. There is the Red Top BEAMs 200hp, which is a high revving smooth bundle of fun engine, loom, ECU, rear suspension & brakes. It's a friggin bargin! I almost bought it except I dont have the $$$ required for the labour, so I had to let it slide.

For you with an existing 1998 3SGE you've already got 180ps & 142lb Torque @ 4200RPM, which is a damn site better than my 91 3SGE with only 152ps & 137lb @ 4800 Neutral

Mr Beams 3S-GE not only offers you VVTi but 200ps and more torque fun with 152lb @ 6000RPM. You get more revs for your buck. It's be an awesome car for twisties and track days, straight lines though you couldn't argue with the 3S-GTE with 255ps & 225lb @ 4000 RPM.

You'd definately notice a difference going up to the beams, but with the $6000 or so it'd cost you by the time you throw labour is, is it worth it.

If I had $6000 I'd be doing the conversion today, but I've more to gain(50HP instead of 20) from the beams than you. It'd be cheaper to insure, and as far as I could gather in NSW you probably wouldn't have to get it engineered, as it's the same capacity and family of engine.

It's all about personal preference

thx for these details!!!
i didnt know that coversion + the engin will cost that much....
i thought i can get it done with 4K.......damn
then i will just leave it and stick with my orginal 3sge then...

but gee..........i really wanna get that BEAMS half cut.......
its really tempting me with 3.8K to get those....
but still........after got the half cut........no money pay for the labour........do u guys think i can do it by myself??
but i know nothing about those conversion.......haha
damn.....
anywayz ...thx guys!

[Updated on: Thu, 18 November 2004 23:44]

Toycrash
Regular

June 2004
Re: Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?! Fri, 19 November 2004 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Fri, 19 November 2004 10:13

Toycrash wrote on Thu, 18 November 2004 20:31

I wonder if someone could also do a pushrod conversion for you? Preferably with a single valve, non cross flow head.

What's your problem dude Confused Got wiring diagram for Beams and you can prolly wire it to run? If so leave the bull shit and let us know how..
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?! Fri, 19 November 2004 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alchemist wrote on Thu, 18 November 2004 22:09

as far as I could gather in NSW you probably wouldn't have to get it engineered, as it's the same capacity and family of engine.

I just got mine engineered and yes you would have to get it looked over by an engineer. If you've switched engines over (or even blocks), the engine number would change. That's one of the key reasons mine was engineered. Otherwise if the cops or a Vehicle inspection unit (courtesy of the RTA) has a look at your engine bay and sees that the engine numbers don't correspond to the VIN when built, you're gone. Even though it's the same capacity and engine family (a-la my old 3S-FE and the rebuilt 3S-GTE), etc. it still has to be engineered, or at least blue-slipped to update the details of your vehicle with the RTA.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?! Fri, 19 November 2004 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your car would have had to be engineered anyway because of the addition forced induction
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?! Fri, 19 November 2004 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you say yours is a 98 motor car the wiring will just plug straight as they came out in the last 6 months in the sw20 any way and you can sell your motor most likely for about 1200 aus anyway
RedMadMr2
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: Worth to get BEAMS VVTi 3sge?! or just get the turbo 3sgte?! Sun, 21 November 2004 22:18 Go to previous message
CelicaRA45 wrote on Fri, 19 November 2004 17:21

if you say yours is a 98 motor car the wiring will just plug straight as they came out in the last 6 months in the sw20 any way and you can sell your motor most likely for about 1200 aus anyway

i can sell my motor for 1200........that's cool........
where should i sell it to?!?!
do u think those wracker would like to buy that?!?!
thx guys!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1jz problem
Next Topic:T series (3TGTE) oil pump question
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 15:47:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061910152435303 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.