Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

icon9.gif  How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Sun, 21 November 2004 14:14 Go to next message
OK, I know I'm a boob, but I've managed to snap a bolt when trying to take off the exhaust manifold. Well my mate did it, but I should have pulled him up when firstly the rattle gun failed, then the decent size ratchet failed and the ratchet 'extension' was brought out.

I haven't got an 'easy out' set, but I can go buy one if it's the best way. But I was thinking, what if I weld a nut on to the inch of bolt hanging out and after heating the area up with an oxy, removing the bolt that way?

Anyone have any ideas?

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~mk15/images/IMGP1080_ 800.jpg
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~mk15/images/IMGP1082_ 800.jpg

Cheers,
Dave
  Send a private message to this user    
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Sun, 21 November 2004 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drill?
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Sun, 21 November 2004 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They always break! Depending on the amount of stud left you could also use a "Stud Extrator" which is a handy little self gripping device on a cam to apply pressure. either that or the easy out will be your best options, considering the alloy it's surrounded with.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Sun, 21 November 2004 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that Clint, should I just check out a hardware store for a stud extractor, will they know what I'm talking about?

btw, finally getting around to installing that engine I bought off you many moons ago. Putting my order in at the moment with Toyota for freshen up items, I didn't expect gaskets and stuff to amount to $1K Shocked, but I'd rather do them now than later!
TWSTD
Regular

October 2002

Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Mon, 22 November 2004 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had exactly the same thing on my 3sgte...

I removed the manifold and ther was just enough to get the vice grips on it - and after a good soaking in WD40 or similar it came out ok.

If you cant get a grip on it then use eze-outs. They are a reverse thread screw / bolt extractor. You drill a hole in the centre of the bolt and screw the eze-out in. Then just keep tightening and cos the thread is reversed it will looseen the broken stud. Good luck!
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Mon, 22 November 2004 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unless ofcourse you break the ezy-out then your in big doo-doo,
another way you can do it if the ezy out doesnt work is:
1.heat the stud with a oxy to get some different rates of expansion happening this might loosen the rust a bit but be careful not to melt the alloy.
2.drill a hole exactly in the centre of the stud all the way to the back of it and increase your drill size until you are almost drilling the threads and then get a small chisel and work the remainder out.

cheers
Jason
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Mon, 22 November 2004 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also using a Torx screw bit works. Just drill a hole in the stud, heat it up and then hammer in the torx bit.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Mon, 22 November 2004 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Mon, 22 November 2004 12:30

Also using a Torx screw bit works. Just drill a hole in the stud, heat it up and then hammer in the torx bit.

we did this for my new cam covers with a snapped bolt in the screw holes for the plug cover
MFX_Neko_86
Forums Junkie

September 2004

Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Mon, 22 November 2004 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We used an ezy out - before we went and got it we stuffed around for ages trying everything - went and got the ezy out, the bolt came out within seconds - they work wonders, quick and easy...
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Mon, 22 November 2004 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they also snap quick and easy
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Mon, 22 November 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, be real careful with the drilling and easy-outing. you don't wanna snap either in the hole, cause drill bits and easy outs are hard to drill through...

also, make sure you drill the middle of the bolt, and straight too. Use a punch to start the drill bit. Once, when trying to get the stud out of a v6 magna, I was drilling into it and must've been a little off cause the drill suddenly shot through the metal and little bits of the alloy head came out. It's still good though Wink

Tim.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Mon, 22 November 2004 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
every time ive tryed to exttract a busted bolt i manageed to

1. Snap a drill bit in the hole
2. Snap the easy out

without fail, this has happened every time i tried, ended up having to drill the holes bigger and retap the hole

Do your self a favour and just pay someone whos good at that stuff Wink that way if they fuck it its not ur fault Wink
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Mon, 22 November 2004 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get some dye penatrant to penertrat the stud and hope fully you can get vice grips on. Hell use the stuff if you easy it out.

We use it a work for hot sections of turbine engines. Been using it on my car and man it makes it easy to get 25 year plus bolts undone.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Mon, 22 November 2004 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for all the suggestions guys (and gal), and thanks for the easy out warning. I think I'm still going to try the vicies etc first as I've a ton of pertruding bolt to play with.
Stitt: where do you get this "dye penatrant" from, it sounds like it would be useful stuff, especially for the few bolts underneath that I haven't cracked yet.

Cheers everyone,
Dave
Necros
Regular

September 2002
Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Mon, 22 November 2004 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, I would look around for a better price on gaskets for your motor.

I got a complete gasket set for a big port 4age head for around $260~ from Meridian Motorsport in moorabin/vic (ask for toby). Its made by the same company that make the sets for Toyota.

If I remember correctly my local toyota wanted about $500 for the exact same thing!

Oh and vice grips + WD40 work wonders together. My vice grips have gotten me out of sooo much trouble!
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Mon, 22 November 2004 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Too late, already ordered Smiley =
The 'overhaul kit' which has most of the 3sgte's gaskets and seals I got for $350 which Toyota normally lists at 460 I think. I'm getting a pretty good price, but it all adds up!
fatts
Newcomer

September 2004
Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Mon, 22 November 2004 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're going to use an easy out, use the biggest one that will fit inside the broken bolts basic minor diameter with about .5mm of clearance.

Always be wary of drill speeds when drilling hard steels (light alloy you can get away with huge speeds but the same on steel will overheat and snap bits). Some recomended speeds (from my black book) are as follows - 5mm bit in tough steel, 700rpm - 6mm bit in tough steel, 580 rpm - 8 mm bit in tough steel, 430rpm, and always use lubricant, try to have an assistant (or apprentice) spray kerosene/wd40 onto the drill bit. Always remember to back off the drill after a couple of seconds of force, not entirely out of the hole just releive some pressure to clear the flutes and to let the bit cool down. Also try not to force the drill to take excessive cuts

Finally, nuts and bolts you know will be easily snapped, i.e manifold studs, bath in crc a day before you're going to try to remove them, oxy is rough and i've never had much success getting it to work on bolts that are already exposed to 'heat up/cooldown' situations.

Sorry for the lecture, i just get sick of people breaking my drill bits at work

EDIT : and punch the hole first... very important

[Updated on: Mon, 22 November 2004 22:45]

alxs
Newcomer

November 2004
Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Tue, 23 November 2004 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all thats good advice what about a reverse taper drill bit next time with lube triflex
plenty of bolt out weld bar to it as vice grips slip in my experience
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Tue, 23 November 2004 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
penetrating oil - WD40 is NOT penetrating oil!!!
hit it.
heat it.
turn it out with vise grips.

in fact like fatts writes, except for the vise grips, this is what should be done on any bolts that are suspect. ALL exhaust bolts are suspect.
suff
Regular

April 2004

Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Wed, 24 November 2004 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A way that works well for me is to use a CCW threaded bolt, drill a hole into the snapped bolt, die cut a thread, and do it up, the harder you tighten it, the looser the snapped bolt becomes and out she pops.. has never failed me yet, and doesnt take that long.. but yeah do use some GOOD penetrating oit.. funnily enough Locktite make a very good oil.. expensive but good!
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Wed, 24 November 2004 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suff wrote on Wed, 24 November 2004 19:23

A way that works well for me is to use a CCW threaded bolt, drill a hole into the snapped bolt, die cut a thread, and do it up, the harder you tighten it, the looser the snapped bolt becomes and out she pops.. has never failed me yet, and doesnt take that long.. but yeah do use some GOOD penetrating oit.. funnily enough Locktite make a very good oil.. expensive but good!

Laughing nice home-made screw extractor
suff
Regular

April 2004

Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Wed, 24 November 2004 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey what can i say i am a tight ass, if there is a way to do it cheaper with out stuffing it! im up for it!

Speaking of that does anyne here know where to get a turbo manifold made up custom?!?! IN Perth!
fugly
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Wed, 24 November 2004 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would this work for a head bolt? I noticed when i was putting my engine in that one of the bolts has been completely raped (ie burred beyond belief), the problem i had with vice grips etc is that its in a tight spot, so much that i can only get a socket onto it. i was looking around for a stud extractor, but i heard that as car thieves etc were using them to undo lock nuts and pissing off with wheels they were harder to come by (unless you know the right people)

as i understand it the head bolts im trying to undo are a heap tighter than exhaust manifold bolts. would getting a ccw screw work?

TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Wed, 24 November 2004 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unfortunatley I get my dye penatrant from work. I would asumme a good tooling shop or even a hard ware would have it.

Great stuff.

Though didn't help me with the crank pulley anyone got any ideas there???
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Thu, 25 November 2004 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suff wrote on Wed, 24 November 2004 23:03

hey what can i say i am a tight ass, if there is a way to do it cheaper with out stuffing it! im up for it!

Speaking of that does anyne here know where to get a turbo manifold made up custom?!?! IN Perth!

i wasnt having a go at you by the way Very Happy
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Thu, 03 November 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where can u get the ezyouts from?

ive looked up on google but cant find anything
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Thu, 03 November 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any hardware store.
also known as a screw extractor.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Thu, 03 November 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i filed the snapped bolt down to a size the a could get a ring spanner on and heated area around bolt with propane gas torch, and undid bolt like normal

Tried easy out but i dont like em
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head? Thu, 03 November 2005 12:32 Go to previous message
thanks fellas ill have a crack tomorrow. stole dads good drill bits but have to get a hole punch wee the fun of going a little bit too hard
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s
Next Topic:Wheel offset of Camry...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 06:38:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065929889678955 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.