Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Help needed to get Power FC in!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Help needed to get Power FC in! Mon, 22 November 2004 22:04 Go to next message
Ok so the old ECU is coming out, I want to put the Power FC in it's place but there's a wiring issue that doesn't make the PFC kick the car over when the standard ECU does. I don't have much time to do this, I need to get it tuned up before I go on hol's this time next month.

Can anyone help me out here? I've tried talking to Mos, but he appears to be giving me the brush-off. Too busy... Rolling Eyes

If one ECU kicks over and the other doesn't, surely it's a wiring issue right? We tried two of the same Power FC's against the standard 3S-GTE and neither of them wanted to crank the car. Sad
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Help needed to get Power FC in! Tue, 23 November 2004 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats a bit harsh...
trying to work out someone elses wiring mistakes is an absolute nightmare..

why not ask the person that sold you the power FC? double and triple check your wiring logic (ie the diagrams you made) AND the wiring itself.. there's either a design fuckup or an implementation fuckup...

if the person that sold you the FC doesn't help, ask the company.. surely they are more indebted to provide support than someone else on toymods?
good luck!
Cya, Stewart

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Help needed to get Power FC in! Tue, 23 November 2004 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The person who sold me the Power FC is in Japan. Stew, I'm not an auto-elec so I don't know how to read wiring diag's compared to how my wiring is laid out in the car. It's not a pretty sight behind that dash. Sad Sleep

I asked for Mos' help on this because he knows 3S-GTE wiring and stuff. I want to know if anyone else on here does, because I sure as hell don't. The 3S-GTE wiring loom was spliced into some of the RAV4 loom, leaving some wires out, which is not agreeing with the Power FC, but is apparently ok for the stock ST205 ECU. Confused

To my knowledge it's not a "mistake in the wiring", but more of something not connected when it needs to be to get this ECU functioning. Rolling Eyes
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Help needed to get Power FC in! Tue, 23 November 2004 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does the ECU "boot" up so you can check the settings with the handset?

I have heard of situations like this where the computer is set to use the FC boost controller in the factory but when hooked up without the controller will not run the car.

Just an idea.

And yeah I have to agree with Stwart
Quote:

Can anyone help me out here? I've tried talking to Mos, but he appears to be giving me the brush-off. Too busy...

Is a bit harsh, Mos is a very busy guy. I know I organised a long time before my conversion to have him wire it and the work still ended up having to be done in the middle of the night to be able to fit into his schedule.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Help needed to get Power FC in! Tue, 23 November 2004 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAV-GT4 wrote on Tue, 23 November 2004 14:29

The person who sold me the Power FC is in Japan. Stew, I'm not an auto-elec so I don't know how to read wiring diag's compared to how my wiring is laid out in the car. It's not a pretty sight behind that dash. Sad Sleep

I asked for Mos' help on this because he knows 3S-GTE wiring and stuff. I want to know if anyone else on here does, because I sure as hell don't. The 3S-GTE wiring loom was spliced into some of the RAV4 loom, leaving some wires out, which is not agreeing with the Power FC, but is apparently ok for the stock ST205 ECU. Confused

To my knowledge it's not a "mistake in the wiring", but more of something not connected when it needs to be to get this ECU functioning. Rolling Eyes

Dude I've told you several times you can "borrow" the ECU off my Gen3... if theres anything missing from the original gen3 loom that mattered then I assume the standard ecu will start spitting error codes which can be fairly easily dumped and read.

I really don't know why you would chop the engine loom and I think you would have to be insane to do so... especially since you are only going from a 3SGE to a 3SGTE
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help needed to get Power FC in! Tue, 23 November 2004 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought this would be quite simple...

If you cant fix this yourself (sounds like youve been trying to for a while), youll just have to take it to someone who can and pay them for it.
This is obviously the answer since your also time limited.

Trying to help someone with wiring issues over the internet or phone, esp if its custom wiring is pretty much a lost cause.

[Updated on: Tue, 23 November 2004 06:13]

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Help needed to get Power FC in! Tue, 23 November 2004 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs, I've gone from 3S-FE (not GE) to 3S-GTE. Do you have a boost controller on yours? I'm trying to weigh up options to see what can be done and when. PM me to let me know when you're available to come and see next.

No dissin' Mos, I know he's busy. It's just I'm running out of patience with this ECU. Rolling Eyes
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: Help needed to get Power FC in! Tue, 23 November 2004 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whilst it's not exactly what your after.....and it's from my memory.).....and it's relevant to an sw20/3sgte.

There is an issue with wiring of a fuel pump when you do a conversion from a 3sge to a gte in an sw20.

A version of Power FC was provided in a kit to do something similiar. It has an adapter that plugs into the loom then the power FC and a relay off that additional part of the loom. It was to make up for differences in the loom and a sensor change.

It was marketed by Garage Fukui/SPL from memory and it was because there was no "plug in fix" available from power fc. Maybe try googling then bablefish on their site - you may find what it was that was corrected.

Not much help I know...
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Help needed to get Power FC in! Tue, 23 November 2004 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the advice, do you have a link to the site? It's worth checking out if it looks like it could be a fix. Eye Spin
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Help needed to get Power FC in! Tue, 23 November 2004 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Maybe try googling then bablefish on their site - you may find what it was that was corrected.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Help needed to get Power FC in! Tue, 23 November 2004 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looked up the closest thing I could to this Garage Fukui/SPL and found http://www.phoenixs.co.jp/ in a search, but translating it into English I couldn't find anything to do with a Power FC. Confused

I looked up a link on the MR-2 forums and found some info...

http://www.mr2.com/DIGEST/VOLUME2/2051.txt
http://www.mr2.com/DIGEST/VOLUME2/2056.txt

It doesn't give me very much usable info or links to something that has info, but it does state that the info on that site is more for use with a US-model SW20 rather than a GT-Four. I'm not sure of what to make of all the info on those two above links. Sleep
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: Help needed to get Power FC in! Sun, 28 November 2004 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.phoenixs.co.jp/bigsite/parts/parts_sw20 _electro.html

might help.

Again, this is from my memory from a number of years ago - and now on an outdated link on their old website.

I may or may not be on the right track though.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Help needed to get Power FC in! Sun, 28 November 2004 23:26 Go to previous message
Spoke with Croydon Autosports today about the dilemma with my Power FC, and they said that if the fuel is being pumped ok with the standard ECU on, there's no need to fiddle with any fuel relays. Also they said because the controller might have a setting for the boost controller to be ON instead of OFF, it might not crank over then. Confused Time to fiddle... now because I have the Power FC and the hand controller, I can see which settings are on and off, and correspond them to how my car is setup. I didn't want to do this earlier because of the lack of info on the fuel pump relay and the boost controller.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Clutch/Gearbox Problems
Next Topic:3T-GTE timing chain question
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 22 05:00:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051200389862061 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.