Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Azrael
Regular

September 2003
Stalling EFI engine Tue, 23 November 2004 05:04 Go to next message
Ok it's not a Toyota, but my girlfriend N13 Pulsar; although I'm hoping you ppls can give me a few ideas as to what might be happening or where to start testing/checking.

The car seems to be stalling (mainly 70%?) when going round left hand corners but some times even going straight or right. It does start straight away when cranked - which is a good thing if you're moving a 70 km/h aroung a corner with power steering. Some other background information: The temperature guage doesn't seem to be working since a new aftermarket radiator was installed, but the thermo fans have been tested and they do work. The ECM light has come on a couple of times but when the codes have been read they hasn't given any real clue as to what's going on.

My first thought was fuel supply but it stalls regardless of how much petrol is in the tank, and all fuel sytems

The only other thing I can think of is the spower steering unit is on the way out. Could this somehow be 'draining' the engine and causing it to stall?

Any body have any thoughts, or perhaps any things I should check?

Cheers
Az
  Send a private message to this user    
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Stalling EFI engine Tue, 23 November 2004 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have to beat cool1 to this answer:
Bad Earth?

but seriously... it will probably be a bad connection somewhere along your wiring loom. (including earths)
Start the car and wobble parts of your wiring loom to see if the car stalls.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Stalling EFI engine Tue, 23 November 2004 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could also be intake leaks
Or fuel pump not turning on properly.

Does it do it warm or cold or regardless?
Can you hold your foot on the accel to keep it going?

Recalling my sisters old N13, the guages were dicky.
Her fuel guage stopped working one day. And its fairly common for that model. Not sure about the temp guage tho.
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: Stalling EFI engine Tue, 23 November 2004 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 23 November 2004 17:31

Recalling my sisters old N13, the guages were dicky.
Her fuel guage stopped working one day. And its fairly common for that model. Not sure about the temp guage tho.

Yeah temp gauge is a common fault as well. If you pull out the instrument cluster and disassemble it you will find dry solder joints on the circuit board at the back of the harness plugs. Just resolder and it should be ok.

What codes did you get out of the ecu?
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: Stalling EFI engine Tue, 23 November 2004 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What were the codes from the ECU?

Has the car got any modifications?

It seems as though it could be a connection to a few things
These being
ECU,
Fuel Pump
Fuse boxes
Injectors...

But with it starting straight away, it seems unlikely that it is actually a bad connection...

Main things to check and replace...

Air filter, is it blocked up? Could be...
The Fuel filter... common problem across all cars... Check it out... Replace it anyway... Better safe then sorry...

There just a few things to check out...

And let us know the ECU codes please...
Azrael
Regular

September 2003
Re: Stalling EFI engine Tue, 23 November 2004 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm from memory the code was 'Speed sensor' otherwise it flashes up 'all fine'. The stalling does seem to happen when the engine is warm as I can't recall it ever happening when it was cold. But when it does stall it's an instantaneous stall - no warning or chance of avoiding it as the accelerator is usually down on the floor, just one minute your driving the next, nothing.

I'll wobble some components this weekend and see if I can find a bad earth as that was my suspicion too, otherwise it's down to SuperCrap and start replacing some more filters.

Az

ps. thanks heaps for the suggestions so far, keep em comin'

[Updated on: Wed, 24 November 2004 01:28]

Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: Stalling EFI engine Wed, 24 November 2004 05:31 Go to previous message
Okay then...

I'm not too sure on how the N13 actually sets up it's mixtures, but it might be to do with the Speed Sensor (Yes it has been done before) so you might
a) Have a bad connection to the speed sensor (G'box usually or from speedo)
b) Have a bad speed sensor

The other thing that could be a problem is if it refers anything to the throttle position sensor, because the fuel map might have a relation to TPS... But I'm not too sure...

I'll see if I can quickly find the wiring diagram and check...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Bored 2TG/18R
Next Topic:1G-GTE Camshafts...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 08:18:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006864070892334 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.