Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » RA28 Front disc upgrade help!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
RA28 Front disc upgrade help!! Sun, 27 October 2002 11:37 Go to next message
I've read the articles, and i'm unsure of some things.
I've got fairly new koni purple adjustable shocks all-round, with king springs and my 16 inch ROH mags. It handles excellent and i dont want the handling to change, just the braking power lakes severley and is desperate need of more stopping power. My question is can the brake upgrade be done and still keep the shockies/springs and mags???

Please help, i know this topic has been done over and over, but can i keep my expensive components and still upgrade fairly cheaply???

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks
Ben
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 Front disc upgrade help!! Mon, 28 October 2002 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes you can. I have Supra brakes on my RA23, and I didn't have to touch my suspension.
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 Front disc upgrade help!! Mon, 28 October 2002 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does anyone want to make me up the stuff for the brake upgrade for some cash??? Like the stuff norbie made up???
I just want to pretty much bolt the stuff on, so i'm keen to let someone do the dirty work for some money. Wink

Norbie, did the brake upgrade do a big improvement, is there any other mods that can be done to make your set-up work better?

thanks
Ben
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 Front disc upgrade help!! Mon, 28 October 2002 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd do it myself but, i dont have the tools, time or know how to get it done by myself. i'd be willing to pay good money for good work Smile

Thanks
Ben
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 Front disc upgrade help!! Mon, 28 October 2002 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The new brakes are in a different league to the old ones, it made a huge difference. Pedal feel is pretty vague though because I'm still using the original master cylinder, so when I can be bothered I'll be upgrading to an RA6x master cyliner.
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 Front disc upgrade help!! Mon, 28 October 2002 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so would recommend it to me, if i get new drilled and slotted rotors and decent pads + RA6X master cylinder? As u know my car will be hopefully :)pulling 12's, will this upgrade be enough???/do u want to make me up some stuff/give some plans of how to??

Thanks
Ben

PS- if it wont be adequite what can i use and can i keep my shockies, etc...
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 Front disc upgrade help!! Mon, 28 October 2002 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The full details are on my web site. As to whether this is "adequate", that's up to you to decide.
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 Front disc upgrade help!! Mon, 28 October 2002 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do u think u're brakes would be good enough to pull up a 300HP car??? I cant tell whether its gunna be "adequate" or not cause i dont have the set-up on my car Smile
I dont really want to pay a lot of money to get the brakes done only to find out that it doesn't stop me at the end of the track.
I dont want porsche stopping power, but something better than i already have, and that will at least match up to the power i'll be putting out.

thanks
Ben
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RA28 Front disc upgrade help!! Mon, 28 October 2002 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why not just read over the brake upgrade in the article, quite simple really. as it all bolts together
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 Front disc upgrade help!! Mon, 28 October 2002 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes but can i keep my Shokies, etc...
And will it be good enough to slow down from 12sec runs???
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RA28 Front disc upgrade help!! Mon, 28 October 2002 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sure with a ma70 master cylinder it is quite good with a good set of pads.. and yes you can use your standard shocks. as the difference betwen the ra28/23 struts and the corona lies in the spacing of the caliper holes.
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 Front disc upgrade help!! Mon, 28 October 2002 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soo, can anyone make me up a brake set-up so all i have to do is bolt together???
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RA28 Front disc upgrade help!! Mon, 28 October 2002 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well for starters how much did you want to spend. depends whether you want slotted disks from dba or just a standard set from a wrecker or somewhere else, calipers rebuilt and how much you can get them for.

me personally I got
struts. 100
disks 285 slotted/vented and slightly machinced to fit(also redrilled)
calipers 180
rebuild kit $50

so for a little of 600 + the cost of master cylinder, which I'm getting off my halfcut.
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 Front disc upgrade help!! Mon, 28 October 2002 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats a bit of mula Smile And yeah, id want the works done, the best straight up. No need to upgrade twice if this doesn't work that well. Its better to do it right the 1st go:)

Is there anything else i would need??? Any custom jobs that needs to be done?? And how much do u reckon it cost to get it done??? I really cant do any custom bits, ie: welding cutting etc.. cause i only have basic spanners etc Sad

Thanks
Ben
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RA28 Front disc upgrade help!! Mon, 28 October 2002 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no welding needed. just the 1-2mm spacers to center disk. the 285 for the disks is getting it fully done to suit te whole upgrade. I dont think you could do a cheaper/better upgrade, only thing I would change is the hilux calipers for a litter callip but at $600 for a pair of r32 calipers or around that they are quite expensive.
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 Front disc upgrade help!! Mon, 28 October 2002 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you got any pics of this stuff??
or link me to the article your talking about cause there is a couple.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RA28 Front disc upgrade help!! Tue, 29 October 2002 06:34 Go to previous message
http://www.toymods.org.au/phill_brake
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Honda Question....be gentle....
Next Topic:bolt gze charger onto ge
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 11:40:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046889781951904 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.