Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Driving Adelaide => Melbourne Thu, 25 November 2004 13:28 Go to next message
Thinking of going on a road trip to Melbourne soon.

Just wondering if there were any premium petrol stations on the way?

A scenic route?? Places should stop and see?? Ideas on in car entertainment? Checks that should be done on the car?

Any tips/precautions should be taken??

Send a private message to this user    
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Driving Adelaide => Melbourne Thu, 25 November 2004 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you drive during the day check out halls gap on the way, drive up to the look outs and have a break - it is really cool up there

most of the bigger towns (eg horsham) would have bp ultimate but the smaller places probably not

entertainment - just a few cds, it only takes 8 hours so if you have a decent passenger to talk to time will fly. scenic route is great ocean road but takes a lot longer.

also i would suggest driving overnight as there is much less traffic on the road
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Driving Adelaide => Melbourne Fri, 26 November 2004 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just make sure your car isn't drinking water or oil and you should be fine

Very Happy
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Driving Adelaide => Melbourne Fri, 26 November 2004 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i went Via Mt gambier rout - along the coast - Was pretty bar the boring part between millicent - roma Or around there - after that its quite pretty

most of the major towns have optimax or BP ultimate
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Driving Adelaide => Melbourne Fri, 26 November 2004 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah go the long arse road ay

ive driven over the A1 to melbourne 27 times i shit u not. the drive over the a1 is great and nice and wide and swooping and u can get some wicked speed on this road (i maxed 237kph on this road before), but once you get past murray bridge its boring as shit. it'll take you 8-9 hours to drive this route and its about 865km. its the quickest way, but seriously is laden with more cops than u would believe. make sure u sit UNDER 100kph around 10kms in and out of Nhill, Horsham and Ararat as the cops in these areas are revenue hungry pigs and sit parked behind roadside billboards with radar guns waiting to catch commuters. also watch out on the road in between ballarat to bacchus marsh, theres a lot of radar gun toting bacon out there too.

the mt gambier road is hell scenic and nice ay, if you get time see if u can wind ur way down onto the old coast road in victoria and follow that along.. youll see some of the finest scenic coastline in the country there.. i think u can turn off somewhere near the dandenongs and get there.. long arse drive though, do it during the day and prepare urself for 11hrs +
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Driving Adelaide => Melbourne Sat, 27 November 2004 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you mean otways i think - not dandynongs Wink
But yes - very nice
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: Driving Adelaide => Melbourne Sat, 27 November 2004 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pro_ke wrote on Fri, 26 November 2004 09:26

if you drive during the day check out halls gap on the way, drive up to the look outs and have a break - it is really cool up there

Hm... could you be more specific? What's halls gap? and where abouts are the lookouts located??
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Driving Adelaide => Melbourne Sat, 27 November 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a town in the middle of this massive mountain range where hippies go

im sure whereis.com.au will have the exact location but from memory its somewhere near horsham, you will see the signs on the adel-melb road anyhow

the lookouts are clearly signposted as well... its really cool up in the mountains, some great views, plus you will probably see a bunch of kangaroos etc...
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: Driving Adelaide => Melbourne Tue, 07 December 2004 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How about Melbourne road rules? I heard they have a no tolerance policy on speeding? Hook turns? Can I get defected in another state?
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Driving Adelaide => Melbourne Tue, 07 December 2004 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cameras everywhere in melbourne

hook turns are only in the city i think and i doubt you will need to do one, i drive in melbourne a fair bit and have never done a hook turn once.

yes Sad
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Driving Adelaide => Melbourne Thu, 09 December 2004 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
almost crashed on my 1st hoOk turn when first got here.
try to go with the flow. dont try to jump lights or rush hook turn. its bloody scary
SoulSearcher
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: Driving Adelaide => Melbourne Sat, 01 January 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you go striaght up the guts (murray bridge, bordertown, horsham, ararat) it's a fairly easy drive. I've done it 5 times in the last 6 months Smile

One word of warning, there's a guy around there (I've seen him three times in the last 4 months) in a black 180sx who races into Horsham between 4 and 5 pm. The first time I followed and reached inappropriate speeds Very Happy and the second time I decided against *funning* with him which is just my luck because the highway patrol was in the area and I would have been busted for sure. Third time I behaved myself.

From Horsham take a couple of hours and go to Halls Gap it's BEAUTIFUL!

Depending how many klms you get on a full tank, (we can do it with one fuel stop at Horsham) There are premium pumps in Bordertown, Horsham, Ararat). Petrol is usually more expensive in the smaller towns, but last trip I filled up in Horsham at 1.10cpl and when I got to Adelaide it was something like .97cpl I was surprised. One thing...DO NOT PURCHASE fuel from the Safeway petrol outlets in Ararat. Both times I've only got about 250klms instead of the 500 I usually get, apparently it's a known fact that their fuel is inferior.

Oh, if you're going to overtake trucks, make sure it's CLEAR! There are plenty of overtaking lanes so don't be impatient! and if it rains, brace yourself!

Smile
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Driving Adelaide => Melbourne Sun, 02 January 2005 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SoulSearcher wrote on Sat, 01 January 2005 23:57

If you go striaght up the guts (murray bridge, bordertown, horsham, ararat) it's a fairly easy drive. I've done it 5 times in the last 6 months Smile

He said he wants to take the scenic route... the way youve described is the most boring way to go.

The most scenic route is through Mt Gambier, and then along the great ocean road.
Not just scenic, but a very nice drive too Smile
SoulSearcher
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: Driving Adelaide => Melbourne Sun, 02 January 2005 04:12 Go to previous message
Thanks for pointing that out MWP, but I was referring to PULP stations, and saying that I knew for sure there was PULP available via the route straight through the guts Smile

Of course the scenic route is better, it just depends how much time you want to spend "touring".

Lesley Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Pinpoint when your Toyota was made!
Next Topic:WOW! check out what car i saw today!! (56K beware)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 05:16:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004784107208252 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.