Toymods » Track Talk » has neone with a corona beaten a 96 commy ute series 1

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
has neone with a corona beaten a 96 commy ute series 1 Thu, 11 November 2004 02:56 Go to next message
im just wondering if my rona could beat one and i dont wanna go lookin bad unless i know i might have a chance

(my corona is a rt104 with a 18rg(140hp-150hp))
  Send a private message to this user    
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: has neone with a corona beaten a 96 commy ute series 1 Thu, 11 November 2004 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just give it a shot!!

There wouldn't be much in it on paper, and driver skill might make the difference on the road.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: has neone with a corona beaten a 96 commy ute series 1 Thu, 11 November 2004 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
should win easy, I raced a friends xr6 versus my rona and have beaten him many times he has an auto but also has 166kw the ute will only have 147kw at most and these holden utes even in v8 form are pretty slow off the mark cos they have shitty grip.
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: has neone with a corona beaten a 96 commy ute series 1 Sun, 14 November 2004 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id say no considering yours is a stocko rg with 110hp max...
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: has neone with a corona beaten a 96 commy ute series 1 Sun, 14 November 2004 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 20:26

should win easy, I raced a friends xr6 versus my rona and have beaten him many times he has an auto but also has 166kw the ute will only have 147kw at most and these holden utes even in v8 form are pretty slow off the mark cos they have shitty grip.

I think you will find that autos go just as good if not better than manuals in drag races. Especially if the person can't drive a manual.

BTW I have beaten a commodore before. VT HSV GTS it was Razz My car isn't quite stock though Cool

And I would think that you would lose as my gz20 soarer was about even with a VS Ute.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: has neone with a corona beaten a 96 commy ute series 1 Tue, 16 November 2004 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 20:26

I'd like too see this Corona of yours piss ball me mates old mans V8 Commodore ute Rolling Eyes . you'll find the grip thing usally comes from bad tyres, hopeless drivers, weather conditions, stuff like that, etc, (not going into detail) utes are lighter at the back. (I know as I owned one) but saying V8 Holden utes are slow of the mark is rubbish. why don't you drive one before speaking!

the XR6 thing is belevable but. I have kept up to a VT V6 auto with a manual SV21 Camry! Shocked although I think driver may had something to do with that Rolling Eyes It was rather funny to watch him constantly checking his left side!!! Laughing the VT I drove had a automatic gear box, V6, I thought was rather doey of the mark but once it got going. IT GOT GOING!! Although personally driving both SV21 and VT I do think with me driving the VT. I could get the VT too win.(I do however beleve the Falcon too be quicker off the mark but maybe I'm not driving the Commodore right?, who knows and who cares!)

personally I think driver has alot to do with it too. there is always some one better in my opinion. It's one thing too have a fast car, but it's another to drive it! Very Happy

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: has neone with a corona beaten a 96 commy ute series 1 Wed, 17 November 2004 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The performance figures for the old holden engined utes are around 0-100 in 8+ seconds, this is from back issue of motor. I'm not a moron a realise that utes have no weight over the rear wheels and I didn't suggest me racing one. I think the figures in motor were recorded with an automatic though as that is all they could access at the time and most of the utes are sold in. Bad tryes don't think so brand new press vehcile.
The old holdens were never really known to be fast off the line just a great roll on acceleration vehicle. The ute never got the improved holden v8 and thus was stuck with 168kw. Remember it weighed around 1400-1450 kg meaning it doesn't really have a great power to weight ratio, match this with one of the worst automatic gearboxes around and you have a pretty sluggish car.
Before holden got the gen111 and fords around the same time the 6cyl generally out performed the eights because of less weight and the fact that both had live rear axles and when putting slightly less power through you actually were able to come off the line cleaner. Remember the old v8s have a stack of torque down low and thus wheelspin far more than even a gen111 of the line which doesn't produce serious power until above 4000rpm.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: has neone with a corona beaten a 96 commy ute series 1 Wed, 17 November 2004 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 17 November 2004 13:15

The performance figures for the old holden engined utes are around 0-100 in 8+ seconds, this is from back issue of motor. I'm not a moron a realise that utes have no weight over the rear wheels and I didn't suggest me racing one. I think the figures in motor were recorded with an automatic though as that is all they could access at the time and most of the utes are sold in. Bad tryes don't think so brand new press vehcile.
The old holdens were never really known to be fast off the line just a great roll on acceleration vehicle. The ute never got the improved holden v8 and thus was stuck with 168kw. Remember it weighed around 1400-1450 kg meaning it doesn't really have a great power to weight ratio, match this with one of the worst automatic gearboxes around and you have a pretty sluggish car.
Before holden got the gen111 and fords around the same time the 6cyl generally out performed the eights because of less weight and the fact that both had live rear axles and when putting slightly less power through you actually were able to come off the line cleaner. Remember the old v8s have a stack of torque down low and thus wheelspin far more than even a gen111 of the line which doesn't produce serious power until above 4000rpm.

it still doesn't explain your theory on shitty grip? brand new tyres can and have been known too be bad it depends on what sort. As for the new improved V8 your on about wouldn't that make it worse? having more power would make it spin even more? and auto Commodores don't get power to the wheels as well as the manauls do, the V6's were quicker off the mark but once you reach about 70km/h onwards your in very dangerous V8 territory and the V8 has more torque up high then the V6 where the V6 generates most of it tourqe down low that why it seems quicker off the mark but not quick enough to push the V8 from having better 0-100km/h times, (any one who has raced a VS V6 against a VN-VS V8 will notice this too) a mate of mine I work with had VS Lexcen which could keep up too a VQ V8 Statesman up to 70km/h then the V8 would just leave it for dead, have witness this a few times, I know the driver of the statesman as well and he has owned anthoer one before that which had the same results(both cars standard with automatic transmissions)you have old motor mags? they'd show where max tourque occurs in both.
I never had any problems taking off with the VS V8 auto ute (I drove this on a very wet day too!) I have been lucky too drive quiet a few Commodore's (I still don't like them, but I'm just stating the truth!!), mates probablly thinking he's backing up Commos somethings wrong there!, the only beef I have with them is the usaual stabiltty issues all utes seemed to have at 120km/h onwards but these cars were designed to take loads. not for race! which they do well( but still I'd buy a Falcon over one anyday!) you just can't go wrong with the torque.

[Updated on: Wed, 17 November 2004 08:02]

hotrolla
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: has neone with a corona beaten a 96 commy ute series 1 Fri, 26 November 2004 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chopped one about a week ago in the silvia. He had know chance just drifted into his lane to be a smart arse.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: has neone with a corona beaten a 96 commy ute series 1 Fri, 26 November 2004 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hotrolla wrote on Sat, 27 November 2004 10:35

Chopped one about a week ago in the silvia. He had know chance just drifted into his lane to be a smart arse.

what sort of silvia?
hotrolla
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: has neone with a corona beaten a 96 commy ute series 1 Sat, 27 November 2004 02:06 Go to previous message
I got a s13 sr20det that has had a fair bit of work done to it. Got it dynoed about 2 weeks ago 157kw at the wheels and i only had boost at 6-7psi and it needs a tune because its running to rich.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Morwell hillclimb 7/11/4
Next Topic:Ur not the drift king....
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 14:21:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048229694366455 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.