Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
yoghurt_fiend
Newcomer

November 2004
TA22 tyre size Fri, 26 November 2004 01:28 Go to next message
Hi, I have a few questions I am hoping someone can answer so I can tell if my tyres are illegal in Victoria.

Firstly, have I been informed correctly that the 1974 TA22s came with 185/70R13 tyres?

Secondly, in the VicRoads Vehicle Standards Information 8 it refers to the "largest diameter tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer or vehicle series". Is this different to the stock tyre size my case?

I would look on the plate on the door but someone couldn't be bothered masking it when it got resprayed Razz

If anyone feels like solving my problem directly I have:
14x6" rims
195/65R14 (front)
225/60R14 (rear - and yes they scrub a liiittle)

My calculations show that they are both illegal if 185/70R13s are the largest manufacturer specified tyres Sad

Thanks,
Dave
  Send a private message to this user    
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 tyre size Fri, 26 November 2004 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just the day I leave my tyre size spec sheets at home !
Anyway - I'm pretty sure that the original tyre size on a TA22 is 155/82R13 and those 185/70R13's you have are what have since been fitted. The TA22 ST and GT models in overseas markets had wider tyres of a lower profile than what we got on the TA22 LT that was sold here in Australia, but I can't remember the exact sizes at the moment.
I believe that as long as you can prove that the replacement rim is no more than 1 inch greater in diameter and up to no more than 7 inches wide, and your track is not increased greater than 25mm over original, and your new tyres are close to the overall diameter of your original tyres then you should be OK.
yoghurt_fiend
Newcomer

November 2004
Re: TA22 tyre size Fri, 26 November 2004 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your help.

yikes, well based on 155/80R13 stock tyres my current 225/60R14 rear overall diameter is way over 1 inch larger - they are closer to 2 inches larger!

I do remember reading in a _'73_ owners manual that the some American TA22s did come with 14" rims. Hopefully they came out an inch wider too - that should make me legal and more importantly insurable, that is what I am concerned about.

BTW - I think you may have misread my post slightly regarding what tyres I actually have fitted.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 tyre size Fri, 26 November 2004 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I might have at home a US Celica road test article that could list tyres sizes which I could drag out.

And yes, I mis-read your post. Apologies. I'm puzzled that if you have been told 'correctly' about what size tyres are original on a TA22 that you need any advice.....

Anyway, if I can find the info I will post it up here.

CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: TA22 tyre size Fri, 26 November 2004 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The original tyre fitted to Australian LT grade TA22 Celicas was a 165SR13, which is effectively a 165/82/13 tyre.
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: TA22 tyre size Sat, 27 November 2004 12:32 Go to previous message
Clint is indeed Correct Smile

I use this:

http://www.toymods.org.au/~rod/Technical%20Info/To yota%20Celica%20TA22%20Tire%20options.doc

Not sure if Vic gets the same 15mm rule as NSW does. You can of course look at the wheel and tyre packages in other counrties till you find one that suits your needs Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3TGTEU ECU Q
Next Topic:muffler tip lenght? (stockie)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 20:29:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066530704498291 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.