Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Hilux 2WD vs 4WD rear axles/diffs Sun, 28 November 2004 08:20 Go to next message
Need to do hilux diff conversion... BUT....

I have a hilux 4WD drum to drum diff at home, which is of course 6 stud with the massive centre thingy on the axle plates which even if re-drilled wont fit 4x113 PCD wheels.

I am wondering, if i measure up the drum to drum length (which im pretty sure is 1410mm) and go get some axles from a 2WD hilux diff (5 stud with the smaller centre thingy) will this work? Or are the housings completely different?

Any info anyone can give is appreciated.
  Send a private message to this user    
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Hilux 2WD vs 4WD rear axles/diffs Sun, 28 November 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just sell the 4wd and buy a 2wd one?

4wd would surely be worth more than a 2wd anyway?

[Updated on: Sun, 28 November 2004 08:27]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Hilux 2WD vs 4WD rear axles/diffs Sun, 28 November 2004 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
interesting thoughts... its a possibility Smile

perhaps ill have a chat with some wreckers and see if they want to do a swapsee...
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Hilux 2WD vs 4WD rear axles/diffs Sun, 28 November 2004 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was lucky enough to get an RN27 rear end complete for mine for $150, I guess it's more a matter of finding one rather than the actual cost of it...
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Hilux 2WD vs 4WD rear axles/diffs Sun, 28 November 2004 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isnt the RN27 the shorter 1380mm version? or is that the early RN2* series?

I measured the stock bog warmer at 1410mm face to face on the AE71, so i see little wrong with getting any 2WD hilux diff that length. But yes, finding them - or finding complete - is a bitch.
bubs
Regular

November 2003
Re: Hilux 2WD vs 4WD rear axles/diffs Sun, 28 November 2004 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, you will be able to swap 2WD and 4WD axles

it is a matter how ever of finding the right length versions - the 4WD only came in two widths 54 and 57 inches WMS meausurments
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Hilux 2WD vs 4WD rear axles/diffs Sun, 28 November 2004 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

yes, you will be able to swap 2WD and 4WD axles

isnt the bearing all different?
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Hilux 2WD vs 4WD rear axles/diffs Mon, 29 November 2004 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you lived in Perth you could borrow one of my two RA27 axles and see if they fit. I think the only way to check this out for sure would be to look on an EPC and start comparing the bearing part numbers. The housings probably differ only for minor things like location of brake lines etc.....so its not always best to check there.
Here is an idea, call your local bearing supplier and ask him to quote you the rear axle bearing and seal part numbers for a 2WD and then 4WD Hilux. If the numbers are the same, you are laughing.
Cheers,
Mitch.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Hilux 2WD vs 4WD rear axles/diffs Mon, 29 November 2004 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And just a bit further on this, I would think, given a common 8 inch centre that the 5 stud axles from an LN40 2WD hilux would fit and I believe they were either 1410 or 1420mm.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Hilux 2WD vs 4WD rear axles/diffs Mon, 29 November 2004 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well when I got new bearings for mine (2WD) the bearings were listed as 4WD.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Hilux 2WD vs 4WD rear axles/diffs Mon, 29 November 2004 07:11 Go to previous message
The diff shop i spoke to today also said that so long as i get the correct length axles, all will be fine.

This means its time to pull some axles and start measuring. Thank god for that axle puller Smiley =

Will let you all know how i go!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Removing boost Spike 3SGTE
Next Topic:new parts for TA 23 anyone???? for somebody in europe
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 10:45:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050418376922607 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.