Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GA22GT
Occasional Poster

April 2003
W55 on 3S-GTE Mon, 29 November 2004 10:09 Go to next message
Hey all,

I know this topic has been covered many times before, but it seems like everybody has got thier hands on high performance stuff and all sorts of machine shop services unavailable over here. The stuff done and mentioned, i feel is quite expensive and complex, however could this cheaper alternative be used??

Assuming the W55 bellhousing will bolt straight on the 3SGTE (hmmm does it?) engine. Im gonna use a W55 out of a 3TGTE together with its flywheel, clutch, clutch cover, middle bearing, starter and the thin metal plate. Since the flywheel will not bolt up to the engine, could I cover all the bolt holes on 3TGTE flywheel with welding rod till they are full, then machine a nice smooth flat surface on the flywheel. After the holes are covered, the flywheel should look like it never had holes. Then the hole pattern on the 3SGTE is taken, centered and redrilled on the flywheel. If this flywheel bolts strainght on to the engine shouldnt this solve the problem with the starter and the distance of the gearbox shaft to the centre bearing?.... Maybe the clutch would slip?, maybe the gearbox would break?, maybe the flywheel would break?,

At the moment Im not concerned cause i think this set up could handle up to 220HP, I just need to know whether this method would work?.. anybody thought of this?, could it be this simple?, to all 3sgte rwd conversion pro's please advice. Im planning for a 3S-GTe conversion for a TA27. Got a hot deal, 2 ST185 half cuts for 3500.. planning to get them this week...

Vernn
http://www.geocities.com/levinboyz
  Send a private message to this user    
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: W55 on 3S-GTE Mon, 29 November 2004 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GA22GT wrote on Mon, 29 November 2004 20:09

<snip>Since the flywheel will not bolt up to the engine, could I cover all the bolt holes on 3TGTE flywheel with welding rod till they are full, then machine a nice smooth flat surface on the flywheel. After the holes are covered, the flywheel should look like it never had holes. Then the hole pattern on the 3SGTE is taken, centered and redrilled on the flywheel. If this flywheel bolts strainght on to the engine shouldnt this solve the problem with the starter and the distance of the gearbox shaft to the centre bearing?.... Maybe the clutch would slip?, maybe the gearbox would break?, maybe the flywheel would break?,

no - unless you want your feet to come home in a bottle when they let you out of hospital.

simply filling the holes with weld metal and re-drilling would result in the centre failing rapidly and probably while you're revving the engine hard - and if your lucky the bits of flysheel will cut thru the bellhousing and separate your feet from the rest of you.

get a custom or factory flywheel.

also - i'd say that a bellhousing made to fit a 3T engine will not bolt up to a 3S engine. You'll probably have to get a dellows (or similar) b/housing.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: W55 on 3S-GTE Mon, 29 November 2004 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An SA63 Celica bellhousing will do what you want - these are the RWD Celicas with the 2S engines. The 3T one isn't much help to you...

As for the flywheel, people have done different things, but I'd highly recommend getting one made. If it can't be done locally, get one made here and posted to you.
GA22GT
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: W55 on 3S-GTE Tue, 30 November 2004 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok thanks for your input guys, I think may still try to make a custom flywheel, definitely by modifying it. Ive read somewhere in this forums that there was a guy who redrilled his six hole 2S flywheel, added holes to the flywheel to allow 8 bolts to fit. If im not mistaken he said only 2 bolts alligned and the rest was drilled where ever holes were needed. This was done even without filling in what was left of the old holes and so far there is no problem. I read it here, by Trevor, did i misunderstand what he was trying to say??

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=2590&rid=2450&S=c40dcdb37b9ddbcc1e82ceb5 10f0ad8e&pl_view=&start=0#msg_20485

2S engine or gearbox are not easy to find over here, I've been on the lookout for the gearbox just to get the bellhousing, so far Ive only heard of somebody who has a 4S rwd g/box, chances are he's not selling. I bet that if I found one it would be at least $1000 and lousy. Any alternatives besides 2S or custom bellhousing?, maybe from L series engines.

Vernn
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: W55 on 3S-GTE Tue, 30 November 2004 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2S or 2C engined bellhousings will suit your needs. The 2C is a diesel motor in the CT190 series Corona's, which are a limited volume second hand grey import into some states of Australia.
Contact CLG on this forum direct with a PM. He may well be able to source the bits you need.
Cheers,
Mitch.
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: W55 on 3S-GTE Tue, 30 November 2004 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GA22GT wrote on Tue, 30 November 2004 09:22

2S engine or gearbox are not easy to find over here, I've been on the lookout for the gearbox just to get the bellhousing, so far Ive only heard of somebody who has a 4S rwd g/box, chances are he's not selling. I bet that if I found one it would be at least $1000 and lousy. Any alternatives besides 2S or custom bellhousing?, maybe from L series engines.

Not trying to make a sale here but I have a 2s bellhousing, already modified for a RWD 3s application, if you get desperate.
GA22GT
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: W55 on 3S-GTE Tue, 30 November 2004 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did someone say 2C bellhousing would bolt right up??!! There are lots of 2C's here. Would any 2C RWD bell housing bolt right up?, I think I have a 2C gear box from a corona CT141 somewhere. If i were in Australia I could look you guys up and buy stuff but Im in a jungle here...hahah, sorry Gabe. If the 2C RWD bellhousing from the CT141 bolts right up, I can safely say that the most difficult part of this project is solved, at least that what I can forcast.

Vernn
GA22GT
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: W55 on 3S-GTE Thu, 13 January 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi guys,

I've started the 3S-GTE(ST185) into the TA27 Project. So far, I'v managed to source out a 2C bellhousing and combined it with the W55 and it fits perfectly onto the 3S block. Now i have used the 3S flywheel, clutch cover and clutch. Ive got a spigot bearing which is 16mm wide and it fits perfectly into the crankshaft and the gearbox shaft enters about 6 - 7mm into the bearing so i didnt have to mill the bellhousing. Ive used a clutch bearing out of a 2L-3L engine and the clutch fork of the 2C bellhousing. Now my problem is the 3S-gte flywheel is not as thick as the 2C flywheel and the clutch fork does not travel as far out to reach the clutch cover. Ive adjusted the pivot on the bellhousing till the clutch fork allows the clutch bearing to reach the clutch cover. Now Im worried that since the clutch bearing is further out from the shaft, when it is engaged, it may fall off or come out of the shaft, is this gonna be an issue? or how much must the clutch fork move (in mm) to enable the clutch bearing to fully press the pressure plate. What do you guys think? any other issues that need to be pointed out for this setup that I have done? For you guys who have done this conversion before you input is very much appreaciated thanks.

Vern
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: W55 on 3S-GTE Thu, 13 January 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vern if you get a throughout bearing from a land-cruiser it will do the job as the cruiser bearing has an extension thrust surface I think it's about 10mm longer .
I've changed my setup a couple of times since that post of mine ,
I have now settled on using the 3SGTE flywheel heavy duty 136mm clutch plate from a 4x4 hilux , a TRD pressure plate , double race spigot bearing , land-cruiser throughout bearing ( I think it was a HZJ# ), w55 box , 2S starter ,and 2S bellhousing , not sure what the fork was out of as I had a collection of forks and picked one the worked the best .

Trevor
GA22GT
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: W55 on 3S-GTE Fri, 14 January 2005 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the info mate, this project is more challenging compared to the normal 1GGTE or 4A setup, i think fitting a 1GGTE into a TA22 is easier that this, however its quite exciting though. Ill try get my hands on the land cruiser clutch bearing tomorrow, as for now i think im using one from a 2L or 3L. As for the starter, currently im planning to use one off a 3A-U FWD engine from a Corona, its quite bulky (long and big) but the starter switch sits closer to the block, this would make it easier to make the turbo manifold. As for the oil input into the turbo, Ive closed the original hole with a big bolt. Where can else can I tap the oil from?, how about from the pipe going into the oil filer? or could i tap it from the oil pressure switch by making a T extension. How was your setup.. thanks

Vern
rokusan
Regular

September 2004
Re: W55 on 3S-GTE Fri, 14 January 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TA22-3SGTE wrote on Fri, 14 January 2005 00:12

Vern if you get a throughout bearing from a land-cruiser it will do the job as the cruiser bearing has an extension thrust surface I think it's about 10mm longer .
I've changed my setup a couple of times since that post of mine ,
I have now settled on using the 3SGTE flywheel heavy duty 136mm clutch plate from a 4x4 hilux , a TRD pressure plate , double race spigot bearing , land-cruiser throughout bearing ( I think it was a HZJ# ), w55 box , 2S starter ,and 2S bellhousing , not sure what the fork was out of as I had a collection of forks and picked one the worked the best .

Trevor

hello Smile how did you mount up you spigot bearing in the 3s-gte flywheel?
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: W55 on 3S-GTE Fri, 14 January 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vern you can either T off the oil pressure sender or if it's the earlier motor there is a oil gallery bung on the left rear side of the block .

rokusan the bearing fits into the crank.

Trevor
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: W55 on 3S-GTE Fri, 14 January 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you're not aiming for *that* much power, i have a flywheel, clutch plate, pressure plate and other shit from a 2s to w5* for sale

$80 its all yours..

[Updated on: Fri, 14 January 2005 12:40]

GA22GT
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: W55 on 3S-GTE Mon, 24 January 2005 01:34 Go to previous message
Hey guys, Ive sorted out the whole gear box thing...dont know whether it would work though cause Im afraid the clutch bearing would fall off the gear box shaft when the clutch is pressed. I have to put it in first then try it out with the clutch pump, etc, etc then see what would happen. Now Im trying to make the mounts, but I plan to use the original sump and intake manifold. Planning to put in the engine with an angle slightly more than the 4AGE however less than the original angle in the ST185. Would there be any problems with the oil suction from the pan. I have actually tried to put it in that way and I found out that the intake manifold may touch the hud. Also if i decide to put the engine straight, is there any other oil sump that can be used besides the 2S sump maybe 2C or 1C? and as for the intake how much should it be lowered? and I believe it should also be cut and welded at an angle too right??...Trevor "3SGTE RWD guru" Very Happy hehe, Im sure you faced these issues before, how did you counter these problems, of course the easiest way would be to custom everything but my resources are limited... Ill post some pics soon...thanks

Vern
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:injectors not opening
Next Topic:Levin to a Trueno
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 04:43:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068988800048828 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.