Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Legality of Side-exhaust mounting?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Sun, 28 November 2004 12:34 Go to next message
Seriously considering this for the ma61 as theres SFA room at the back of the car for two 3" systems to go out...especially if i decide to put a 9" in there for when it begins racing...

one either side or two same side??..undecided??

We touched on this a while ago in one of my polls...but i never got a definite answer?

[Updated on: Sun, 28 November 2004 12:34]

Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Sun, 28 November 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You used to be able to exit them out the drivers side, but now I dont think you can have them at all.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Sun, 28 November 2004 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah who do i call to find out - RTA?

the only downside i guess to doing it out the side is the fumes if you are stuck in traffic...tho with the windows up and the AC on..it might not be *that* bad...

[Updated on: Sun, 28 November 2004 12:40]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Sun, 28 November 2004 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah ring RTA Mods dept.
marc00013390
Regular

November 2002
Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Sun, 28 November 2004 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
think they must be a certain distance back from the window/s?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Sun, 28 November 2004 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, theres a fair way to the rear arch on an ma61 too.....
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Sun, 28 November 2004 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how about dumping them before the diff? under the car..anyone know if thats legal?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Sun, 28 November 2004 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Sun, 28 November 2004 22:45

how about dumping them before the diff? under the car..anyone know if thats legal?

No, Its not.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Sun, 28 November 2004 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NSW it's "rear of the last door/window opening, for the obvious exhaust dying thing Wink

it is much more socially nice to have them going out the back of the car... a few nice mandrel bends should work... or channel the floors/boot to fit....
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Sun, 28 November 2004 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah but as i said...theres not much room at the back of and ma61..and there'll be even less if i decide to go with the big diff....
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Sun, 28 November 2004 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Plus, done right, it could be pretty fat...
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Sun, 28 November 2004 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Sun, 28 November 2004 22:55

yeah but as i said...theres not much room at the back of and ma61..and there'll be even less if i decide to go with the big diff....

Your doing something wrong then. If I can fit a 3 inch out the back of the TA22 with the hilux diff, you can fit a 3 inch out the back of anything.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Sun, 28 November 2004 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well if you want it street-legal you don't have a choice; as oldcorollas said, the exhaust outlet has to be behind any door/window openings, so on an MA61 that means the very back of the car. If you can't fit two 3" pipes on the LHS of the car, you should be able to merge them into a single 4" pipe just before the rear crossmember. Any flow restriction will be negligible by the time it's got to the back of the car.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Sun, 28 November 2004 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
interesting re the merge into 4"...might be the way to go...no lowering for me!
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Sun, 28 November 2004 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just jig it up after you have lowered the car, that way you can run it under the diff rather than over.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Sun, 28 November 2004 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai its IRS it will be going under anyway
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Sun, 28 November 2004 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh, i read MA61 and thought live axle. Teach me to be posting at 8am.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Sun, 28 November 2004 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 29 November 2004 00:07

Well if you want it street-legal you don't have a choice; as oldcorollas said, the exhaust outlet has to be behind any door/window openings, so on an MA61 that means the very back of the car. If you can't fit two 3" pipes on the LHS of the car, you should be able to merge them into a single 4" pipe just before the rear crossmember. Any flow restriction will be negligible by the time it's got to the back of the car.

Does this mean that in a sedan, if the rear doors are permanently closed, (welded) that you can then run the exhaust out just behind the driver's door?
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Sun, 28 November 2004 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would like to know what engine you're running that needs to have 2 x 3" exhausts?

Thats 14.1 square inches of area
2 x 2.5" pipes have 9.8 square inches

So, the 3" have 1.4 times the area of these.

1 x 4" has 12.5 sq inches

If you really want this area, maybe try multiples of smaller pipes (3x 2.5" has 14.7 square inches) & merge back again after the diff.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Sun, 28 November 2004 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wagonist wrote on Mon, 29 November 2004 08:29

I would like to know what engine you're running that needs to have 2 x 3" exhausts?

If you really want this area, maybe try multiples of smaller pipes (3x 2.5" has 14.7 square inches) & merge back again after the diff.

Worked v8...
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Mon, 29 November 2004 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, but they only tend to put 4" pipes on really worked GTR's & Supras running 30psi.

Unless you're putting out 600 or 700hp, I really doubt you'd need this kind of airflow.

but each to their own...
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Mon, 29 November 2004 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Mon, 29 November 2004 05:29

takai its IRS it will be going under anyway

Not if/when he converts to 9"
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Mon, 29 November 2004 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Mon, 29 November 2004 07:43

Norbie wrote on Mon, 29 November 2004 00:07

Does this mean that in a sedan, if the rear doors are permanently closed, (welded) that you can then run the exhaust out just behind the driver's door?

the engine's NA - so where the headers collect you'll have 4" each side - but once that's fed into 1 (or 2?) resonators under the car, you'd think that a 3 1/2" or 4" thru to the tail muffler would be adequate flow?

i think if you had 2 big-arsed pipes under the whole length of the car, you'd have way too much pipe resonance to make driving a fun experience? even if the amp in the back is going 110% Laughing

chris: my understanding was that it had to be behind the rear-most window not just rear-most door - but usually it has to be out the back of the car. You might be able to exit after the wheels along the side of the car?

Cool1's getting his setup built by the engineer (who came across as a very thorough dude) so i'd guess that his setup would be the most legal.

i think dual 4" pipes would have very serious bark to them as well so the car (specially if v8_ma61 paints it lime green!) will be a driving defect magnet Cool Laughing

why not have two setups - track & street?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Mon, 29 November 2004 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wagonist wrote on Mon, 29 November 2004 08:29

Its because he has a small penis and he needs to compensate!
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Mon, 29 November 2004 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm well last time i checked with the rta, i was told that the window rule is bs, and there are no rules... Confused
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Mon, 29 November 2004 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It has to be on the drivers side thats the only rule i know. cos in one of my street commodores mag a guy has a side existing exhaust and has a dummy one set up on the passenger side for symmetry and rice factor and has to explain to the cops that it is fake.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Mon, 29 November 2004 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The information I posted earlier comes from an actual engineer in Qld, it's not something I pulled out of my arse. So unless the rules have changed in the last couple of years, the exhaust will have to come out the back of the car. The rules may be different in NSW but Blake is in Qld.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Mon, 29 November 2004 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WA licensing (about the loosest in Australia) forbids side exiting exhaust systems (aka lake pipes apparently) and states the all systems must exit behind the rear axle line. It also dictates the direction the pipe should not face, towards the nearside kerb.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Mon, 29 November 2004 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In further reply to Mitch

WA's RULES

The system is efficient.

The exhaust system does not pass closer than 25mm to fuel tanks or the body floor.

The system does not foul the body work or limit axle travel.

No part of the system projects below the rim lower edge

The system terminates behind the last body panel.

Systems on the left hand side of the vehicle do not deflect gases directly to the left.

The noise level of the modified system must not exceed the noise level of the manufacturer's original system by a noticeable amount.

Side exhaust systems (sometimes called lake pipes) are not permitted.

The system must be effectively supported and must be free from cracks and leaks.

Where the vehicle is subject to ADR 27A - Emission Control. Extractors may be fitted, but the features of the original manifold must be maintained (i.e.. hot air transfer tube, manifold to air connection). Vehicles subject to unleaded fuel control emissions (ADR 37) must remain as specified by vehicle manufacturer..

Noise level will be the most important factor in assessing any exhaust system. Close attention will be given to this factor during examinations and in the on-road situation.

[Updated on: Mon, 29 November 2004 04:36]

Dominic
Regular

December 2003
Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Mon, 29 November 2004 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the car comes with side exiting exausts form the factory they are legal.

theres a corrvette builder next to my work,and some corvettes come with them.

not much help but i thought it was interesting and on they corvettes they look damn good.

no need for a radio at my work.i listen to V8's all day...

Dom
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Mon, 29 November 2004 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill call the rta and find out for sure...thanks guys
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Mon, 29 November 2004 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The RTA is in NSW... I think Qld Transport is the department you're thinking of. Smile

But I wouldn't recommend talking to them, you'll end up talking to some bored public servant who doesn't know shit and will just make something up to get you off the phone (been there, done that). Have a chat to an approved engineer, they have a better technical understanding of the legal requirements and will actually talk to you about the issue and help you find a solution.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Tue, 30 November 2004 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
STR8 2.8 wrote on Mon, 29 November 2004 12:01

hmm well last time i checked with the rta, i was told that the window rule is bs, and there are no rules... Confused

from the NSW "Code of Practice of Light Vehicle Modification"

Quote:

Exhaust systems shall provide a minimum of 100mm ground clearance and where ADR43/-- applies, also meet the ground clearance requirements of this rule.

The outlet of an exhaust system must be rearwards of any passenger side entry doors and any unshielded part of an exhaust system other than the outlet may not protrude beyond the profile of the body other than on the underside. where ADR42 applies, exhaust outlets must also meet to requirements of section 42.8 of the design rule.

but thats in NSW.
Cya, Stewart
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Tue, 30 November 2004 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In NSW the exit must be behind the last operable door/window and exiting on the drivers side.

This was from the engineer of a 2004 Tarago that has had the exhaust modified to come out the drivers side just behind the last opening window about 2 months ago.
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Tue, 30 November 2004 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you were in the ACT then your exhaust could exit out either side as long at it´s 9 inches (how´s that for up to date laws) behind the most rear most opening feature (door, or window). On a RA23 that meant i could just sneak ina decent side system...bloody loud though.

The killer with side systems is generally the ground clearance as you still have to meet the minimum 100-120mm as the lowest part of the body.

As for needing twin 3 inch in n/a form, not likely but if you can fit it then it´s not gonna hurt....just gonna be loud.
Barney
Regular

July 2002

Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Wed, 01 December 2004 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i called some turd from the RTA in SA (regency) when i was looking at getting a side pipe for my MZ20, he told me it had to exit after the rear axle, behind the rear-most opening window and not protrude the vehicle more than 15cm. yet he would not write this down for me because he said most police officers disagree. thats why he is a turd

i got a side pipe any way.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Wed, 01 December 2004 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Tue, 30 November 2004 11:54

STR8 2.8 wrote on Mon, 29 November 2004 12:01

from the NSW "Code of Practice of Light Vehicle Modification"

Quote:

Exhaust systems shall provide a minimum of 100mm ground clearance and where ADR43/-- applies, also meet the ground clearance requirements of this rule.

The outlet of an exhaust system must be rearwards of any passenger side entry doors and any unshielded part of an exhaust system other than the outlet may not protrude beyond the profile of the body other than on the underside. where ADR42 applies, exhaust outlets must also meet to requirements of section 42.8 of the design rule.

but thats in NSW.
Cya, Stewart

well that just goes to show you should double check before believing and rta worker. thanks stewart Very Happy
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Thu, 02 December 2004 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's really odd.
About 6/7 years ago i got my landcruiser inspected by an engineer after i threw a 253 v8 in it and i had two pipes comming on the left hand side of the car.
they were just behind the door opening.
I never had any dramas at all with them.
They were mounted so the gases were nowhere near the doors BUT u could still burn peoples legs when it started up if u tryed.

EDIT: have u seen those land rovers that have the muffler right infront of the grill ??
how is that legal ??????

[Updated on: Thu, 02 December 2004 01:18]

Bentt
Regular

May 2003
Re: Legality of Side-exhaust mounting? Thu, 02 December 2004 01:36 Go to previous message
I remember reading somewhere in QLD by laws that it must exit at least 1ft behind the rear most section of 'moving' glass... I don't have a link to the specs, but that is what I was told.

Trucks exit on the drivers side... I don't think they are allowed to exit on the pass side.

I was looking at doing this also. Instead went for a single 3.5inch split into twin 2.5's to gain groudn clearance...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Maunal Transmission for JZX100
Next Topic:22RE Engine Compression Rates
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 17 19:34:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010879993438721 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.