Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » SAABS ? How do you rate them ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon3.gif  SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Tue, 30 November 2004 03:19 Go to next message
I know TOYmods not SAABmods, but who has one, has driven one, or their family has one ?

How do you rate them? I find them exceptionally good value for the amount of car you get (especially the 1994-1995 SAAB 900S 2.5L V6) which can be had for under $10k

They seem to be a good quality car, well made and has a sweet 6 motor

Dont see many of these cars hotted up ... big rims lowered etc .. as they are a grandpa car, but hey .. its something to look into

Idea
  Send a private message to this user    
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Tue, 30 November 2004 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How do I rate them?

I don't.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Tue, 30 November 2004 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Rate them[ 34 vote(s) ]
1.Yup cool 13 / 38%
2.No dont rate them 21 / 62%

haha ok .. Razz

SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Tue, 30 November 2004 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i do rate them but not in australia as part prices are just stupid
not really made for this climate
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Tue, 30 November 2004 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SAAB engine bays are from the bizarro world

clutch at the front belts at the back WTF Eye Spin
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Tue, 30 November 2004 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm not made for the heat im presuming - good point
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Tue, 30 November 2004 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
design features are absilutely extreme, safety and luxury at the high end.

ignition key behind the handbrake middle section WTF? oh wait, handbrake is left foot too i believe on some models Confused
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Tue, 30 November 2004 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't even think about touching the 2.5l V6!!!!!!!!

they are the worst, made by GM. we had one for just over a year and it was a continuos nightmare. when it was running well it was great fun, but that was very rarely. we traded ours as we couldn't sell it for $13k privately and it was the 1996 900SE with leather sunroof etc. we thought that there was a blown head gasket and the thermostat was screwed as i drove home on a hot day noticing no rise in temp only to get home with coolant dripping down the grill.

i noticed one that was constantly at a local mechanics and asked him if it was there to get work or whether someone in the shop owned it because it was always there, and he just simply said that it was a continuous nightmare.

don't know much about the 2l or the 2.3l but i'm fairly certain that they are the original saab engine as compared to the 2.5l.

personally if i was ever to get a saab i'd only touch the aero's
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Tue, 30 November 2004 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you get a saab you gotta get a turbo very fool proof engine. Many easily rack up 400000km. Saabs are renowned for reliabilty but aren't exactly trendy. They are pretty drab design inside and out but none the less are pretty good. The turbo suffer from a bit of torque steer and once you start producing serious power aka Viggen etc they have pretty woeful handling
Toy Yoda
Regular

March 2004
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Tue, 30 November 2004 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Mum's got a 2003 9-3, nice leather interior, nice strong pull from 2000 rpm, 5 speed tiptronic gearbox, and i love the look of it!

Possibly a bit pricey, but a nice car to drive
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Tue, 30 November 2004 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aren't Saabs renouned for being air filters/cleaners?

I heard that in newer Saabs and particularly in cities like Syney or Melbourne or other cities around the world, the air that comes out of saabs is cleaner than the air that goes in. Laughing

Obviously this would never happen in the country or away from cities where the air is much cleaner, but i though this was quite amusing. Laughing
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Tue, 30 November 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I saw Jeremey Clarkson review one and the only thing that he could find about it to bring a smile to the face is the 2nd gear 40-70mph time of the 9-5 aero Laughing which was faster than a porsche 911 turbo they'd reviewed Surprised
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Tue, 30 November 2004 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was looking into one, once of those 900/9000turbos Rolling Eyes
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Tue, 30 November 2004 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are the older style FWD?
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Tue, 30 November 2004 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup Confused
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Tue, 30 November 2004 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les wrote on Tue, 30 November 2004 11:19

Dont see many of these cars hotted up ... big rims lowered etc .. as they are a grandpa car

There's a very good reason for this.
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Tue, 30 November 2004 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah they are FWD, the only downside really. i'm not sure on the 9000's though... but i'm guessing they are.

i'd happily trade the rolla for any of the newer turbo ones, very nice and they do pull really well. mates mum has a 9-3 turbo and when they took it in for a service she was encouraged to give it a good thrashing hahahaha
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Tue, 30 November 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

i had a 900 turbo, was shmick - nice an straight, luxurious, mildly fast... good turbo technology and i got
it for a bargin... when it f&*ked up it got sold

ONLY a very new one would be good

BUT!!!!....

older saabs for enthusiests only!! what a waste of time and
effort and gay mechanics!! for f&*ks sake the motor is backwards, on a chronic angle and the head always warps, the
gearbox isnt hell strong and the back end consists of crap
suspension and the front end has all the weight and more wires
than a telephone exchange Very Happy

not user friendly - general mechanics wont touch it...
to change the brake pads requires saab tool no. 104, to
do this requires saab tool no. 108...

falcon radiator hose $10
toyota radiator hose $12
saab radiator hose $55 and 3 days wait
roll insulation tape $3... and save $55 Laughing

2nd hand untested gearbox $1500
recond gearbox $2700
bonnet $400
what i was offered for the whole car $300
at the same wreckers

i will never buy a saab again Very Happy

SHEwiththe18RG
Regular

November 2004
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Tue, 30 November 2004 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some guy rocked up at a party saying his saab is worth $250 000??
we were like wtf! 250 000 and you spend it on a measly saab?
apparently it was a 'hershey sport' google disagreed with the existance of such a machine
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Tue, 30 November 2004 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wooops, that was me up there
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Tue, 30 November 2004 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's a glut of late 70's/early 80's 900 models around the Blue Mountains with really boxy "aero" body kits that look like they were developed before they could make curves symetrical on each side of the car so they just made it square, massive offset wheels to fit the guard extensions (approx 8 or so inches per side).

Suffer the usual high power = torque steer/understeer fwd charachteristics.

Stick to a toyo!

Ps if anyone finds any pics of the early ones they are good for a laugh. I coudn't.
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Tue, 30 November 2004 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont really mind the newer ones, look pretty good, but not sure of their performance Embarassed
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Tue, 30 November 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't rate them at all - they are very pricey for what is an below average Euro car. They have some good knowledge with turbos but are simply not the hassle. The 16V Aero was intersting but thats about it.

The way I see it, if you have the money (and you will need a lot) to buy and maintain a Euro car, you may as well get a BMW or Benz or Audi. They look much better aesthetically and are more reliable and handle better.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Tue, 30 November 2004 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 30 November 2004 19:06

Les wrote on Tue, 30 November 2004 11:19

Dont see many of these cars hotted up ... big rims lowered etc .. as they are a grandpa car

There's a very good reason for this.

n cressidas aren't ??! Razz
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Tue, 30 November 2004 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like a general consensus of NO GGOOODDD !

im only interested in the 1994-6 Saab 900s, none of the other aero this and turbo that as they are way out of budget !!

my interest in this partic saab is because i have a mate selling one for 8k ... very cheap for what it is i think ... but yeah .. sounds like no go !

thanks all ... will stick to sumthing like a supra or soarer ! heheh
The Count
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Tue, 30 November 2004 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i used to work as a prestige car dealer ...80% of the time a saab will come back with a problem

saab peugot citroen scoda ...biggest problems

i had a BMW 535I 92model ...no joke a swapped it for a MA70 supra ...the bm had much more of a value but the supra was a better car and i had no problems with it ...any ways i rekon all european cars exept for MG Jaguar mercedes porsche are crap
rick_o
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Wed, 01 December 2004 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had one of the V6 900's.

Worst tramp steer when you gunned it.

Shocking understeer if you weren't particularly careful.

Get raped in the wallet if things go wrong.

Dodgy GM parts throughout.

Enough said.
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Wed, 01 December 2004 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The two new versions of the 92x are actually Imprezas and WRXs. Just pop the hood and see what you see.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Wed, 01 December 2004 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gm cost cutting
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Wed, 01 December 2004 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Front wheel drive.

Need I say more.
Toy Yoda
Regular

March 2004
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Wed, 01 December 2004 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah a real pity about the whole FWD thing, it's a nice car (im talking about the new ones) Could do with more imagination, well any imagination when the centre console was designed. We had a 2002 9-5 Aero wagon before the 9-3, I ate rice every time i drove that! Line up next to a lancer, then they see a wagon on steroids pulling hard!
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Wed, 01 December 2004 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

heres your request a Saab 900 Enduro

12 made it to aus and are pretty rare, boxy flares, better
suspension and steering and 17psi boost... and some other
stuff too....

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_0019/article.html
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Wed, 01 December 2004 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my gf has one and to be quite honest they are shit. the reasons for my conclusion:
they are fwd
they have everything backwards
not made for the aus conditions (heat)
and the parts are so friggen expensive its ridiculas.
also the fact that everything is backwards makes labour costs through the roof.
ie head gasgets [costs about $1300 because its so labour intensive.

im getting my GF to sell hers i hate it. so if anyone wants a 1990 9001 its for sale. (2.0L 16v)

spirokeet
Regular

July 2004
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Thu, 02 December 2004 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aren't 900s Vectra in drag?
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Thu, 02 December 2004 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After reading this thread i thought i'd take up the offer of a spin in one.
it's a turbo but that's all i know about the model at the mo.
It's poo i would never buy one i wasn't impressed.
traction was pretty minimal. It got beaten by a stock SA63 coupe.
and the handling is woeful.
i don't know anything about fuel usage or anything like that tho they might run on the sniff of an oily rag 4 all i know.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Thu, 02 December 2004 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SAAB's do get hot weather tested (since the mid 90's at least - not sure b4 then), but yeah, they are designed with cold weather in mind.

Drove a few of the last model and current 9-3's (all turbos, diesel and petrol) and they're o.k.

The diesel is a useless lump of shite if the turbo isn't puffing fairly hard (even at low rpm), the petrol turbo gave a useful shove most of the time, and the passive rear-steer suspension geometry lets you tweak the cornering fairly well, for a FWD.

I've seen a few turbos disentegrate (that's what u get for turning the engine off 2 seconds after being at max boost+rpm!) but can't really comment on reliability otherwise.

not really my bag anyway, so I don't really bother to rate them.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Thu, 02 December 2004 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey All,

A mates father breaths and eats Saabs, he has 6 of them 1 rare one, one 9000 Aero, one sports version (9-3 Viggen slightly modded Rolling Eyes ) and now a AUD$120,000 Luxury turbo rocket Rolling Eyes .

My opinion... A lot of car/technology/gizzmos for money... Their range/look is ok but I love th look of the mid-90's 9000 Aero.

That is my opinion. If I had a choice for Saab or Toyota... Depending on what is on offer. I would go Saab for the resale value and quality (though expensive on parts Razz ).

That is my 2 cents worth.

Cheers.
Fieryisles
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Thu, 02 December 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a saab 900 1991 model previous to my celica. cost us 8 grand and spend 6 grand in the first year on repairs. Our mechanic had one that did over 300 000 k's without anywhere near as much trouble as ours had, but maybe the previous owner of ours didnt look after it well.

They are nice cars, but be weary of ones that arent well looked after. As stated above parts are expensive.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Thu, 02 December 2004 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZZT231 wrote on Thu, 02 December 2004 22:13

Hey All,

A mates father breaths and eats Saabs, he has 6 of them 1 rare one, one 9000 Aero, one sports version (9-3 Viggen slightly modded Rolling Eyes ) and now a AUD$120,000 Luxury turbo rocket Rolling Eyes .

My opinion... A lot of car/technology/gizzmos for money... Their range/look is ok but I love th look of the mid-90's 9000 Aero.

That is my opinion. If I had a choice for Saab or Toyota... Depending on what is on offer. I would go Saab for the resale value and quality (though expensive on parts Razz ).

That is my 2 cents worth.

Cheers.

no resale value on saabs mate !!
ae80
Regular

August 2004
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Thu, 02 December 2004 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SHEwiththe18RG wrote on Tue, 30 November 2004 20:31

some guy rocked up at a party saying his saab is worth $250 000??
we were like wtf! 250 000 and you spend it on a measly saab?
apparently it was a 'hershey sport' google disagreed with the existance of such a machine

Hmmm was that at a Kenthurst/Annangrove party??
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Thu, 02 December 2004 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saabs arnt to bad
tho they r mechanicly a nitemare

but then again all euro cars are crap when compared to japanease cars and the price u for them Vs quality and bang for buck
they just dont compare
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Fri, 03 December 2004 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fieryisles wrote on Thu, 02 December 2004 23:36

I had a saab 900 1991 model previous to my celica. cost us 8 grand and spend 6 grand in the first year on repairs. Our mechanic had one that did over 300 000 k's without anywhere near as much trouble as ours had, but maybe the previous owner of ours didnt look after it well.

They are nice cars, but be weary of ones that arent well looked after. As stated above parts are expensive.

In the second hand market there is from my understand... but hey... it might be that I am miss informed. Confused
1g-gte-ra28
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Fri, 03 December 2004 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont care what anyone has to say SAABS are extremely good cars many get up to and including 300 kays on the clock before needing yet another major rebuild the engines the noises they make with all the ratttles just sound great, almost reminds me of my old wornout 8 with 10000000000000kays. The uglyness of thir design really blow my mind. The overpriced parts and the absoloutly retarded way that they are put together really makes my day. Seriously STAY away from the european shitboxes SAABS peugots merc`s BMW`s any I may have had the pleasure to have finnaly got out of my mind are all of poor design overpriced and not designed for Australian conditions and in my eyes a BA XR6/8 falcon or Commodore feels miles better to drive and cheaper to. Stick with mayor brand JAP crap (Toyota, Nissan and to a way lesser degree Mitsubishi) atleast their engineers obey the laws of logic and dont make things needlessly complicated and overpriced. If you must by something retarded by a Exploder 4X4 they are overpriced their gbox is shit get poor fuel economy and handle as good as a SAAB and a added bonus is you can kill people in small cars when you hit them with your bullbar. And will be as hard to get rid of when you finaly wake up to it.
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: SAABS ? How do you rate them ? Mon, 06 December 2004 01:58 Go to previous message
My GM always have like them and I don't know why, The last one had it's H/G change over four times before it even had 100,000Km's on the clock and at this mileage, his cars get past on to lower employee's of which No one wanted it! So dissapointed he got and S70 volvo instead (again BMW, Merc etc wer options, but he chooses a VOLVO!?). The one before which is still part of our fleet is a bigger heap, interior falling to bits, gearbox crapped itself at 150,000km's and it over heats when someone looks at it the wrong way! And the one before this, well, same problems and was off loader to some poor bugger at the auctions.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:New toyota's
Next Topic:First drive of my KE35
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:45:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0087611675262451 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.