Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
An Affair with Connie Mon, 29 November 2004 11:15 Go to next message
Hi,

Did anyone watch "An Affair with Connie" on Fox tonight?

It's about the 4 year restoration of an old 1950s Lockheed Constellation. Man, you gotta love those Wright 3350 engines. 18 cylinders and 3,350 cubic inch displacement (dunno what that is in litres, but I'm sure it's bigger than an 18RG), and 36 spark plugs per engine. Multiple that by four and you've got a lot of sparkplugs. In the old days the airlines used to have dedicated sparkplug cleaners. When the plane came in they'd run out and change and clean the plugs for the next flight. That'd be a hell exciting job, eh?

I particularly liked the the power turbines in these engines. Each engine had 3 turbines, driven by the exhaust. Not only did this increase the power through forced-air induction, but each turbine had a flexible shaft that, through a viscous clutch, connected back to the crankshaft to add even more power.

They had to pull apart one of the engines. The pistons are about 6inches diameter and the air-cooled cylinder head is the size of a bucket.

Flat chat, running around 3,000 rpm, these babies could pull over 3,500hp with water-methanol injection. Now, that's the sort of power that could get you drifting real nice - but I think you'll need to tub the rear and strengthen the drive-train (amongst other things) to get that power to the tar.

I hope to see one of these engines on eBay. A few years ago a bloke sold a Merlin engine. If I had the money I'd buy one and start it once in a while to scare the bejesus out of the neighbours - especially when I get one of those 18ft diameter propellors on it!

seeyuzz
river
  Send a private message to this user    
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: An Affair with Connie Mon, 29 November 2004 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Be a bugger getting a bellhousing to mate to a w58
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: An Affair with Connie Mon, 29 November 2004 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I'm sure some trailer-trash red-neck fucker in the backwaters of Texas has probaly already done this sort of thing to their pick-up truck.

Never under estimate the red-neck fuckers!

seeyuzz
river
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: An Affair with Connie Mon, 29 November 2004 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get a Daimler Benz DB601a from a bf109, then u'll really scare the neighbours with the crackle of one of those babies! Evil or Very Mad

http://www.bf109.com/sounds/109flypast.mp3
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: An Affair with Connie Mon, 29 November 2004 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's a guy in Vic with a Rolls Royce merlin engine in an old gm, produces 2500hp and is joined through a two speed powerglide. It hasd a top speed of around 200km/ph and is done up like the mustang fighter planes on the outside with paints.
It is actually registered as they had it on the today and showed it with plates and him driving on the road. The car is driven by the backs seats and all controls had to be relocated back there because of the size of the engine. I think they are around 27L.
tripmcneily
Regular

May 2004
tripmcneily
Re: An Affair with Connie Tue, 30 November 2004 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No way fully sick bro's. I prefer the pop of a fully sick 13b bridgeport to the meaty roar of a rolls royce Merlin any day!

Yulllahh bro~!
tripmcneily
Regular

May 2004
tripmcneily
Re: An Affair with Connie Tue, 30 November 2004 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just kidding. Its god to see some of the other 'aero-sexuals' comming out around here.

hey by the way I know a dude who is re building a ME109G-6, so he is in the market for a Dalmier DB605 with the Water/Methanol injection, just in case anyone on toymods might have one lying around somewhere... Razz
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: An Affair with Connie Tue, 30 November 2004 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 30 November 2004 10:22

There's a guy in Vic with a Rolls Royce merlin engine in an old gm, produces 2500hp and is joined through a two speed powerglide. It hasd a top speed of around 200km/ph and is done up like the mustang fighter planes on the outside with paints.
It is actually registered as they had it on the today and showed it with plates and him driving on the road. The car is driven by the backs seats and all controls had to be relocated back there because of the size of the engine. I think they are around 27L.

That baby is awesome... It's been in lots of magazines... Its got so many gauges in the cockpit and takes a long time to start. But when it does, it really goes. The best thing is the fact that it is street legal. That is the true feat. I think it lives in Ballarat or Castlemaine, can't remember which.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: An Affair with Connie Tue, 30 November 2004 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I think there's a guy in Europe who has a Merlin powered Rolls Royce. The bonnet is about 10ft long to accomodate the 27ltr engine.

I think the DB series engines are feul-injected diesels, which, at the time, was quite a feat. The early Merlins used carbs and when they dived the engine would splutter and starve of feul while the German f/i engines would keep going.

I'll just go and look under the house to see if I got a spare DB605 engine....

seeyuzz
river
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: An Affair with Connie Tue, 30 November 2004 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SIMDOG wrote on Tue, 30 November 2004 21:14

Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 30 November 2004 10:22

That baby is awesome... It's been in lots of magazines... Its got so many gauges in the cockpit and takes a long time to start. But when it does, it really goes. The best thing is the fact that it is street legal. That is the true feat. I think it lives in Ballarat or Castlemaine, can't remember which.

Are we talking about final objection? Or are there 2 merlin-powered cars registered in australia?

I thought Final Objection was built by the CRS guys...maybe that's in Vic...I always thought it was around Newcastle or something though...

I think Final Objection has the guinness record for the most powerful street registered vehical...

Tim.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: An Affair with Connie Tue, 21 December 2004 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, FINAL OBJECTIVE was built by Rod Hadfield and his team at Castlemaine Rod Shop, in Castlemaine, Victoria.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: An Affair with Connie Wed, 22 December 2004 00:19 Go to previous message
Housemate taped it, im yet to watch!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Propane Gas
Next Topic:frustrated with your car - give it plenty of lurv
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-