Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Engineers Certificates NSW - Link to list of engineers from RTA *add your recommendations*

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Engineers Certificates NSW - Link to list of engineers from RTA *add your recommendations* Tue, 30 November 2004 00:54 Go to next message
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/v si/vsi15.pdf

Above is the link to the RTA pdf file which holds the names and contacts of all of the approved automotive engineers who can certify your modifications.

The question has been asked a number of times for "who to go to for engineers certificates" so there it is.

Also, if anyone has any personal experience with a particular engineer please share with us what modifications you performed and what they certified.

This will help us all work out who to contact for what in your local area.

Smiley =

Recommend your engineers

[Updated on: Tue, 30 November 2004 12:53]

Send a private message to this user    
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engineers Certificates NSW - Link to list of engineers from RTA *add your recommendations* Tue, 30 November 2004 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I went through Lakes Engineering (Kevin or Ian Humphreys I think it was).

He engineered the 3TGTE & W55 box running factory ECU into my RA28 Celica.

Only requirements was - weight bridge certificate, exhaust dB reading, a cat converter and unleaded fuel neck.

He passed it first go. Highly recommended. I've also talked to him about my r&p conversion and seems quite happy with what i've done. I haven't taken it to him yet but will in the new year.

He also pointed me in the right direction with the 4age - ae86 conversion. Originally the blue slip place was saying I had to have an engineers certificate for it. Anyway Lakes Engineering explained I didn't need this and offered for the mechanic workshop to call them to set them straight.

Cheers
Joel
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: Engineers Certificates NSW - Link to list of engineers from RTA *add your recommendations* Tue, 30 November 2004 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have spoken to the RTA and this IS still the document they use. Even though it's dated 4/2001, a couple of the numbers don't work, one I rang doesn't do it anymore and one has moved 800kms up the coast Rolling Eyes

The ones that moved up the coast (Phil Scott I think) gave me a number of someone who seemed to know all about exactly what I was doing (3sgte into aw11) and approved of every mod I mentioned. Really wish I could find the number again because the next person I rang didn't like my brake ideas.

I'll post my recommendation after Christmas when I'm hopefully engineered, but I look forward to other peoples suggestions!

Cheers,
Dave
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Engineers Certificates NSW - Link to list of engineers from RTA *add your recommendations* Tue, 30 November 2004 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just spoke to Phil Scott today, and he was explaining that swapping rear diffs (eg Hilux 2WD into AE71) would mean that the track details then become based upon the car that the axle comes from. ie my track width would become specified as "Hilux" rather than corolla - thus despite the axles having the same width, if the wheel offset of the wheels im using vary by 12.5mm compared to the hilux offset then i wouldnt be able to pass. I found this rather surprising.....

similar was said for using MX62 or RT132 front struts/brake combos.

anyway. Will talk to more engineers throughout the week.
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Engineers Certificates NSW - Link to list of engineers from RTA *add your recommendations* Tue, 30 November 2004 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Highly recommended engineer - Transport Industry Consultants in Kirrawee.

I think they might have moved there after this came out.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Engineers Certificates NSW - Link to list of engineers from RTA *add your recommendations* Tue, 30 November 2004 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
col potts in wollongong
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Engineers Certificates NSW - Link to list of engineers from RTA *add your recommendations* Tue, 30 November 2004 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For those closer towards the heartland (ACT) the place to go is AKZ Vehicle Engineering and he services both Canberra and Rural NSW.
http://www.vehicleengineering.com.au/
Tops guy.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engineers Certificates NSW - Link to list of engineers from RTA *add your recommendations* Tue, 30 November 2004 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
athol mullen newcastle is a champ
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engineers Certificates NSW - Link to list of engineers from RTA *add your recommendations* Tue, 30 November 2004 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm thats interesting Witzl, means my MX23 diff might not pass as I have to run a +32mm offset to clear the guards.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Engineers Certificates NSW - Link to list of engineers from RTA *add your recommendations* Wed, 01 December 2004 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah that's what i was thinking too! It sounds like crap, as who the fudge can use Hilux offset on their car now????
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Engineers Certificates NSW - Link to list of engineers from RTA *add your recommendations* Wed, 01 December 2004 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the offset and rim width vs original axle width is (aiui) a bearing issue. when speaking to Peter L Smith about it a while ago, they said that for many diffs, you _are_ limited in the rim width and change of offset because the bearings will not take the increased load, but for some diffs (ford 9", G series) they are known to be strong and have bigger/stronger bearings and so can take wider wheels and a greater offset difference..

i don't see why using larger offset rims to reduce track should be that much of a problem tho....

he also said that if you get a diff shortened, then the track measurement goes from the shortened width...

Cya, Stewart
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Engineers Certificates NSW - Link to list of engineers from RTA *add your recommendations* Wed, 01 December 2004 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They were my thoughts too Stew - what's wrong with reducing overall track width of the hilux axle by reducing wheel offset, when this would usually put less load on the bearings (unless i am retarded and havent thought about this properly).

Anyway, will be investigating further. My next concern is what he said about using replacement struts - being that changes in wheel offset from the donor car to my car cannot be over 12.5mm! This means checking/verifying RT132 and MX63 offsets, RN2*/3*/4* track and offsets etc etc etc....
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Engineers Certificates NSW - Link to list of engineers from RTA *add your recommendations* Wed, 01 December 2004 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i agree....

anyway, i have the same issue.. i can increase rear track using a wider diff, but can i increase the front track by using the entire cross-member and strut package from a different car? initial discussion were "possibly"....
we'll see Wink

i think a lot of people (and engineers) get a little confused when you are talking about offset, track and the changs in both when transferring parts.. is it ok to retain original track but have different offset? or retain original offset and increase track, or or..... i think it's also a grey area as far as approval goes too... there is nothing too specific in the 'COPfLVM'...

Cya, Stewart
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Engineers Certificates NSW - Link to list of engineers from RTA *add your recommendations* Wed, 01 December 2004 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what Phil Scot was saying is that it is OK to change the track up to 25mm, but no further. And if swapping in a diff/axle from a different car the track width becomes based upon the car the axle came from. But then what's the go with changing the track of your car - by most accounts you cant!

...... grey area indeed
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Engineers Certificates NSW - Link to list of engineers from RTA *add your recommendations* Wed, 01 December 2004 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yeah.. axle = rear, but what about front... anyway we are digressing from thread Wink

all i want is another 4" Evil or Very Mad
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Engineers Certificates NSW - Link to list of engineers from RTA *add your recommendations* Wed, 01 December 2004 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Wed, 01 December 2004 12:02

all i want is another 4" Evil or Very Mad

Don't we all!
DamMR2T
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: Engineers Certificates NSW - Link to list of engineers from RTA *add your recommendations* Wed, 01 December 2004 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there a central place that details are kept of engineers certificates issued. The reason i'm asking is what happens if you lose your certificate and the engineer is no longer in business. Or you buy a car that needs a certificate but don't know if one was ever issued.
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: Engineers Certificates NSW - Link to list of engineers from RTA *add your recommendations* Wed, 01 December 2004 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are there any recomended Engineers in Adelaide?
I know the thread is pointing to NSW, but maybe some of
you know of a good and fair engineer in this oart of the
woods?

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engineers Certificates NSW - Link to list of engineers from RTA *add your recommendations* Wed, 01 December 2004 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RTA keeps a copy of the engineer cert.
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: Engineers Certificates NSW - Link to list of engineers from RTA *add your recommendations* Wed, 01 December 2004 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes they do keep a copy, which most of us would have, but if you looked at the question, I was asking if anyone could recomend one to me. I have a bad taste in my mouth from Engineers, it seems they are put here not only to make sure all vehicles are safe on the roads, but also to have their kids go through Uni....
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engineers Certificates NSW - Link to list of engineers from RTA *add your recommendations* Thu, 02 December 2004 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its all about u is it?

i was answering DamMR2T's question, not yours.
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: Engineers Certificates NSW - Link to list of engineers from RTA *add your recommendations* Thu, 02 December 2004 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, then I'll just keep my moosh shut den Twisted Evil
Life isn't about ME ME ME? Confused Confused
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Engineers Certificates NSW - Link to list of engineers from RTA *add your recommendations* Thu, 02 December 2004 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used Phil Scott.

He comes to Sydney now and then to go to court cases. He does some crime scene investigation stuff - to see if the car complies to the insurance!! Which is the offshoot reason why engineering is necessary.

He was really good with looking at everything and explaining everything to me (a big thing for me as I like to know whats happening). And when I told him about what I'd like to add, he told me what I'd need to do to get him to sign that off too.

Highly reccomended
Gremlin
Regular

June 2002

Re: Engineers Certificates NSW - Link to list of engineers from RTA *add your recommendations* Thu, 02 December 2004 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Werner Ihle.

Engineered 4AGZE in AE71. No hassles... he came to me. Champion.

He even sat there and recommended modifications for me to do in the future!!

He might have been with TIC -- Transport Industry Consultants.
kayot1k
Regular

July 2003

Re: Engineers Certificates NSW - Link to list of engineers from RTA *add your recommendations* Thu, 02 December 2004 09:27 Go to previous message
any top blokes down here in sydney?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:whats in this beast?
Next Topic:Twin Airbox's
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 14:56:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070011615753174 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.