Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Thu, 02 December 2004 08:45 Go to next message
Do K&N make these for the 20 valve?
I would think that these would be more effiecient than throttle socks and probably sound better.
What part number, diameter and has anyone got pics of these?
Any info.
cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Thu, 02 December 2004 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They make 'em, and they are far better than the Uni Filters, but at around $60-$70 a pop, they are a bit exxy!
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It would be worth it. Smile
I am going to get some titanium throttle pipes made up so i need some rough measurements. i saw it somewhere and i have to have it. What diameter are your intake pipes slutty?

So far my 20V engine alone with all the goodies, without the exhaust, is going to cost me about $5500 aaprox. Wink
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll have to measure them....

$5,500??? Bargain! That's about $1.5k cheaper than mine (new engine that is)

Why are you going titanium anyways?
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't know yet. Just a thought but titanium would look sweet
That was a rough estimate and only purchase not fitment.
I want the TODA 288 cams
TODA high tensile valve springs
TODA Cam gears
TRD 0.8mm head gasket
electric thermo fans
Cusco catch can
some sort of racing radiator, either revolver or something else.
Cutom headers
titanium exhuast like the N1 muffler and system
os giken super single.
NGK sparks
quad throttle setup
microtech LTX-8
oil cooler setup
maybe missing a few.
I have a list at home. Bloody expensive but i want about 200hp+

[Updated on: Fri, 03 December 2004 01:40]

AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In that case, that's pretty expensive for nothing fitted.

And good luck getting over 200hp unless you want to spend over $20k on an Atlantic spec engine (forged crank will cost $3k alone).

190 is my target, but that's using 304deg/10.5 lift cams, machined/knife edged crank, fully grooved bearings, race prepped rods, TODA hi comp forged pistons, race prepped head with very extensive porting and a few more tricky bits and pieces.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man

thats quite a list over 10 grand just in parts...

as for your question, garage annex (http://www7.airnet.ne.jp/annex/) makes a kit containing 4 filters and 4 filter attachment flange plates and 8 bolts for 37800 yen. fits both ae101 and ae111 throttles.

http://www7.airnet.ne.jp/annex/air_%20filterl.htm

translation:

Quote:

Price YEN 37800 Yen (substance price YEN 36000 Yen)

Inhalation the area it is large, adopting the filter of K & N make.

Another you can wash with the washing kit of the sale.

16 valve 4 cyl equipped, to install even in the car, there is an example because.

Please inquire. (You can install in also AE111.)

AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Fri, 03 December 2004 15:24

man

Who's list? My list?
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Surely 200 hp is possible. 160hp standard.
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think its my list.
The right compression rate with all the gear should be close to 200hp.

[Updated on: Fri, 03 December 2004 04:58]

AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evan wrote on Fri, 03 December 2004 15:55

Surely 200 hp is possible. 160hp standard.

I thought you meant rwhp
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah that would be crazy expensive with an n/a.
But would 200hp at the crank be ok goal?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Fri, 03 December 2004 15:12

In that case, that's pretty expensive for nothing fitted.

And good luck getting over 200hp unless you want to spend over $20k on an Atlantic spec engine (forged crank will cost $3k alone).

190 is my target, but that's using 304deg/10.5 lift cams, machined/knife edged crank, fully grooved bearings, race prepped rods, TODA hi comp forged pistons, race prepped head with very extensive porting and a few more tricky bits and pieces.

3k?
hahaha u wish jellyfish Wink

the Tomei forged counter balanced 10000rpm crank is 400 000 yen = $5000AUD
the JUN forged counter balanced crank is 640 000 yen = $8000AUD

thats without tax and not shipped...

im shooting for 210hp also, tossing up using a ae101 manifold adaptor with quads or a SSworks keihin FCR carb kit... that and toda engine 'kit' which included: cams, valvetrain, gasket, pistons, shims, rings, springs, rods. with a tomei crank to finish it off. looking at $12k in parts alone.

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Fri, 03 December 2004 15:47

ae86drift wrote on Fri, 03 December 2004 15:24

man

Who's list? My list?

evans
rx-3 ip
Regular

October 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from what most engine tuner in the know told me was the 20v black only have 145-150 hp.
for 5k you can buy a fully prepared and rebuilt 20v silver (complete) and have 190-200hp. incl. light weight flywheel & clutch kit.
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Once i get 200hp i will start stripping the weight with FRP hatch and bonnet. Goal for weight is about 850kg dry.
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
silver is 160.
black top is 165hp
rx-3 ip
Regular

October 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
then install a roll cage and have max. fun at the race track without getting booked..
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garth, there's a great way to keep costs down when building a serious engine. It's called not buying everything that has a Japanese brand stamped on it and is ridiculously overpriced! Laughing Razz

I can get you a forged crank for around $3k that is as good, if not better than your items listed above.

And while we're on the subject, you guys should specify whether you are aiming for flywheel or rwhp.... Garth, 210 rwhp will cost you more money than it's worth! As I said before, an Atlantic SHORT motor (240rwhp capable) will cost you upwards of $20k - this is before extractors, exhaust, inlet, flywheel, clutch, ECU and driveline to cope with it.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Fri, 03 December 2004 16:11

Garth, there's a great way to keep costs down when building a serious engine. It's called not buying everything that has a Japanese brand stamped on it and is ridiculously overpriced! Laughing Razz

I can get you a forged crank for around $3k that is as good, if not better than your items listed above.

And while we're on the subject, you guys should specify whether you are aiming for flywheel or rwhp.... Garth, 210 rwhp will cost you more money than it's worth! As I said before, an Atlantic SHORT motor (240rwhp capable) will cost you upwards of $20k - this is before extractors, exhaust, inlet, flywheel, clutch, ECU and driveline to cope with it.

hahaha i know, but teh JDM is teh sexxxxybeast Wink

haha 210rwhp, with a 4age? impossible!

im talking fly man. flyyyyy

and i was offered a 2001 ex-atlantic engine (245hp) with 14000kms on it for $11K... cheap!

[Updated on: Fri, 03 December 2004 05:22]

AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Fri, 03 December 2004 16:21

Watch this space....... Evil or Very Mad

Well, 190rwhp anyways!

[Updated on: Fri, 03 December 2004 05:23]

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Fri, 03 December 2004 16:23

Well, 190rwhp anyways!

bullshit. how?
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That would be one hard core n/a
i'm talking everything internally changed and improved.
That would be one sweet ride
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indeedy.
rx-3 ip
Regular

October 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2oorwhp out of 1600cc means you have to rev. at least 10,500rpm. with extra high lift cams and the engine only last 2 hours like f-atlantic
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is a 2 litre 20valve 4age we are talking about.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oi evan I saw your sprinter in Strathfield Car Audio workshop today. Whats going on? I think your dad was getting out of it
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah wasn't mine. Not today anyway.
maybe it was petes. It looks identicle to mine.
But i did park next to you in supercheap auto a couple of days ago, when you were talking to a dude in a series2 RX7
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So theres two with a royal drift sticker on the window??

Yeah thats my mate adrian. Its a S3 RX7 13B ext port. I constantly chop him with my GZE. Its a classic.
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There a a few running around also other cars like rx7's and what have you.
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So what would you rekon would be the setup i need for 200hp at the engine.?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evan wrote on Fri, 03 December 2004 18:25

So what would you rekon would be the setup i need for 200hp at the engine.?

higher lift duration cams
bigger induction
shim conversion
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shim?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from the master himself (http://www.billzilla.org/4agmods.htm)

Quote:

170hp - 180hp
Still not any huge differences between the big and small port engines here. Not a lot more work required to get the extra 10hp from the engine now; just slightly bigger cams really. I'd recommend 288 to 304° duration.

180hp - 190hp
Definitely 304° cams, and you'll have to start paying attention to tuning the inlet manifold length, if you haven't done so already. This is also getting to the limit of what a lightly ported small port head can manage.

190hp - 200hp
Getting towards the upper limit of 304° cams, and you'll also need to have the compression up to a good 11:1. 200hp is about the limit for a small port head, no matter what the porting, so from here on the big port is the way to go. Another area that has pretty much reached its limit is the stock valves - Past 200hp you'll be needing the big valve kit. More on that next paragraph.
The standard exhaust manifold has also reached its limit, so 200hp is about as far as you can go with an engine that still retains a large amount of standard parts. It will need to be revved to around 9,000rpm to get 200hp, though if built properly the engine will still be able to be driven on the road.

200hp - 220hp
Past 200hp is where the 4AGE becomes a much more serious engine, and so it requires a much greater attention to detail. It's the point at which you have to start spending a lot more money, for ever decreasing results. But, if you want the extra power then you gotta spend the dollars ...
The reason I've taken the jump from 200hp to 220hp is that there's not a lot of people that make 4AGE's of around this amount of power, hence I don't have a lot of information as such. I've found that past about the 180hp mark, it's the pure racers that do their best to get over 200hp, and so there's a bit of a gap. The other reason I seem to have skimped over the 170hp - 180hp - 190hp - 200hp sections is that once the head work is done, it's really cam changes that make a lot of difference. You get a little bit here and there with compression ratio's, etc, but there's really not a lot of work to be done to get that jump from about 170hp up to around 200hp.
Cams up around the 310° mark, with 0.360"/9.1mm lift are needed. You'll also have to start thinking about getting some 'shim under' buckets, which have the valve clearance adjusting shims as a small 13mm pellet shim, rather than the 25mm dia shim that sits on top of the cam buckets. This is because with cams bigger than the low 300's and roughly 8mm lift, the 'shim over' buckets will occasionally catch the edge of the shim with the top of the lobe of the cam and spit it out the side, thus RAPIDLY destroying the bucket and most likely a fair chunk of head in the next few milliseconds. The shim under kits can be obtained from TRD at hideous expense, or from other racing shops for (merely!) large amounts of money.

The big valve sets are equally as expensive, but again I know of a way that can reduce costs. I have found that the valves from a 7MGTE Supra engine should be identical to the TRD big valve kit, for a fraction of the cost. They are 2mm larger than the 4AGE valves, and should not be fitted if the engine makes less than about 200hp because you will LOSE power. The other problem with the 7MGTE valves is that they're about 2mm shorter than the 4AGE ones, so much thicker shims are needed. With shim-over buckets this is an ugly thing, but I guess it's possible with shim-under type buckets.

There are two crankshafts available for the 4AGE, the 'small' one which has the big end journals of 40mm dia, and the 'big' crank which has 42mm big ends. The big crank weighs about 700grams more than the small crank, (~11kgs Vs ~11.7kgs) and up to about 200hp - 220hp it is stronger, but in practice there is little difference between the two cranks. This changes with more than that amount of power though ...
The factory exhaust manifold, which was good up to about 200hp, now must be replaced with a good set of aftermarket extractors. By good, I mean that they must fulfill a few criteria to make them good rather than merely average -
- The four pipes MUST be equal length, to within less than 1/4"/6mm.
- The four pipes must NOT have any crushed bends in them anywhere at all.
- The four pipes must go into the collector in the same sequence as the firing order of the engine, ie, 1-3-4-2. Many of them simple put the pipes into the collector in any order that's convenient, but these sort make less power than a good set.
- The collector must be around the 60mm dia mark. Many aftermarket extractors have 50mm collectors, and this is not large enough to make big HP

Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wicked.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Fri, 03 December 2004 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you should read his entire website

twice
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Sun, 05 December 2004 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

AE86slut wrote on Fri, 03 December 2004 16:11

hahaha i know, but teh JDM is teh sexxxxybeast Wink

and i was offered a 2001 ex-atlantic engine (245hp) with 14000kms on it for $11K... cheap!

HHHMM Cheap, why didnt you buy it?

Cheers

Steve
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Sun, 05 December 2004 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evan wrote on Fri, 03 December 2004 18:02

Nah wasn't mine. Not today anyway.
maybe it was petes. It looks identicle to mine.
But i did park next to you in supercheap auto a couple of days ago, when you were talking to a dude in a series2 RX7

Might of been Pete's, he mentioned the otherday he was getting a pretty serious security system, "why be at straithfield i say" but, each to their own i guess???

Steve
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Sun, 05 December 2004 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah he is getting a pretty good alarm system.
But, I don't think he is getting keyless entry.
I wouldn't mind keyless entry, but thats just not 86 style. Bit too much "bling" for me and too much of a hassle.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Sun, 05 December 2004 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Fri, 03 December 2004 16:29

AE86slut wrote on Fri, 03 December 2004 16:23

Well, 190rwhp anyways!

bullshit. how?

Patience my friend..... I'll show you the build sheet when it's done Shocked Wink
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Tue, 07 December 2004 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you guys building race cars....

20v alone in a sprinter has a nice amount of power

read on a site that 272 degree cams in a 4age only gave it an extra 28hp with intake and exhaust mods

for the money i wouldnt build up a serious n/a motor for everyday use waste of money just wack a turbo on it, turbo a gze or buy a faster car...

going to rebuild my 20v with toyota parts just standard maybe metal head gasket and maybe set of crow cams as cheap $700 set for 20v... dont think i could justify spending $5000 on a rebuild and only get an extra 30 or so kw

Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Wed, 08 December 2004 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Turbos don't have that real raw feeling that a worked n/a would have.
When you hear a 20valve with lumpy cams scream you are hooked. More responsive for twisty roads.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Wed, 08 December 2004 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evan wrote on Wed, 08 December 2004 15:53

Turbos don't have that real raw feeling that a worked n/a would have.
When you hear a 20valve with lumpy cams scream you are hooked. More responsive for twisty roads.

This is true.

BUT.......

for the money you have spent you could have a nice 4agze or 4agte in there.

its all an individual thing and as long as your happy, im happy Very Happy

I agree with A86slut, you dont need all that name brand shit to have a fast car and hopefully when my car is finished in the next few weeks i will have proved that to a few people on this forum.

Good luck wit it all.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: K&N 20VALVE Throttle Pods? Thu, 09 December 2004 00:35 Go to previous message
Flogbag wrote on Tue, 07 December 2004 22:57

you guys building race cars....

Pretty much..... I drive my car maybe once a week, and that's usually to go for a thrash late at night during which the car is gonna be revved, not sit in traffic.

I had a turbo kit ready to go on, but everyone is doing that. It seems the way to be different these days is to NOT have a turbo!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TRD Levin/Sprinter Special Edition Bible?
Next Topic:[SYD]Paint Rims
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 16:21:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071070194244385 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.