Toymods » General Car Talk » skylines or soarers which would u pick

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
The Count
Forums Junkie

June 2004
skylines or soarers which would u pick Fri, 03 December 2004 08:18 Go to next message

skylines or soarers[ vote(s) ]

i own a JZZ30 soarer ...i look at the price of soarers comparerd to an R33 ...the soarer is way cheaper ...why?
u get more in a soarer than u do in a skyline ...for a start ur getting a 1JZ ..which is 100times better than RB25 shit
in the soarer its luxurious ...in the skyline is a few rags put together ...ok ok to some ppl think skylines look better to me a soarer is attractive but ..the prices on skylines i rekon are over rated ...and not as qik

who agrees with me ....

cheers

Send a private message to this user    
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Fri, 03 December 2004 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have look at the price of a 1997 soarer and a 1997 skyline ..
u will find the (manual) soarer is a much more expensive car !!

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Fri, 03 December 2004 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skyline = the japanese bogandore
The Count
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Fri, 03 December 2004 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was talking about a 91 auto...which is most common... compared to a 93-94-95 skyline
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Fri, 03 December 2004 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You cant really compare a 91 auto tt to a 95 manual sky u know what i mean, they are really 2 different cars !!

also not everyone is a fan of the soarer .. styling wise etc.

and the demand for skylines obviously makes them a more expensive car as you do realise that not everyone is a toyota fan Rolling Eyes
banhbao
Regular

September 2004
Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Fri, 03 December 2004 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skyline only good as GTR...gts no good unless highly tuned

soarer is nice luxury + performance Smile
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Fri, 03 December 2004 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
because people are sheep
most people dont even know what a soarer is, how can u expect them to be popular?
and most of the ones u see are non done up lexus's
soarers have never been prominent in a movie, skylines have.
be happy that people being dickheads made your purchase cheaper Smile
Rinmax
Regular

September 2004
Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Fri, 03 December 2004 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I test drove several R33 when looking at buying an import then I drove one 5spd TT Soarer, and that was it. I took a few auto Soarers out of a test drive but I kept going back to the manual Soarer. The R33 and the TT Soarer are close in speed and performance but the soarer has heaps better build quality, even though it would be easier to squeeze more power from the R33. I choose the Soarer and stand by the decision.
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Fri, 03 December 2004 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd shop around and find an awesome R32 GTR...
rb20det
Regular

July 2004
Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Fri, 03 December 2004 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why dont you compare a 89 gtr to a 93 soarer Laughing u wouldnt the gtr would kick ass so why compare a 91 soarer to a 95gtst
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Fri, 03 December 2004 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After being in my friend's soarer, packed choc a bloc full of luxuries including a DVD player etc. I really really want one.
They're so luxurious and sexual.
I'm thinking of picking one up and living in it. Then I've got car AND home insurance! Laughing
nash_tz
Regular

April 2003
Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Sat, 04 December 2004 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rb20det wrote on Sat, 04 December 2004 00:24

why dont you compare a 89 gtr to a 93 soarer Laughing u wouldnt the gtr would kick ass so why compare a 91 soarer to a 95gtst

Maybe, but when buying a car lets assume for comparisons they are the same price. A $20k R32GTR vs a 20k 91 soarer. I guarantee you that for 20k that GTR will be in absolute shithouse condition. Soarer's were bought by mostly older people and businessmen meaning quite alot of them had easy lives and weren't abused. GTRs on the other hand are a sports car and I'd say pretty close to all of them have been thrashed and driven to the limit pretty much its entire life. A 20k 1991 soarer would be immaclate at that price. Shithouse GTR that will be requiring extremely expensive repairs to be able to get back to its former glory and drivability or a mint condition soarer with moderately priced repairs for things that won't be breaking for a long time. I know which I'd pick for a daily driver.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Sat, 04 December 2004 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why the fuk do people start questions like this

all it does is start a brand war

i know this is a toyota forum but people should know there are other brands of cars out there

you say skylines are not better cars
but why are they much dearer

its because they have a better name then soarers

most drag cars in japan are skylines

its like nike
they might not make the better shoe but they have a better name than the others

i work on many different brands of cars every sigle day and i enjoy working on most of them

it just shits me when people start rubbishing other brands

after all we are all car enthuiasts no matter what car we drive

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Sat, 04 December 2004 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They are different sorts of cars. A Soarer isn't the natural competitor for a Skyline, that is a Supra.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Sat, 04 December 2004 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Sat, 04 December 2004 20:12

They are different sorts of cars. A Soarer isn't the natural competitor for a Skyline, that is a Supra.

I disagree somewhat
supra is a gtr competitor
soarer/chaser are a gtst competitor
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Sat, 04 December 2004 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't mind the GTS-T for what it is. It's a quick family car. It's kinda like a V8 Commodore or Falcon. It's NOT in the same league as a Supra. You just gotta think of them as different cars. GTS and GTS-Ts are just cruisers, kinda like Soarers (although the Soarer has a better engine). Of course, the Soarer has more of a sports car look.

The REASON I don't like GTS-Ts is that everyone thinks they are some kinda awsome performance car. They aren't. They're just a sporty cruiser. They are NOTHING compared to a JZA80 or GTR. Not the same car AT ALL.

[Updated on: Sat, 04 December 2004 15:04]

Aussie
Regular

June 2003
Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Sat, 04 December 2004 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doin it up??
if so... soarer, very different, plus imagien all the weight you could shed with all that extra lux-o shit they stuff into em taken out. plus... 1j... cant go passed it Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Sat, 04 December 2004 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Sat, 04 December 2004 21:21

I disagree somewhat

Chaser maybe, but the Soarer is so far removed from the ideology behind the Skyline its not funny. They both have two doors and are RWD turbo, the Skyline is designed as a fun car, the Soarer is designed as a luxo-barge that happens to be real fast.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Sat, 04 December 2004 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Sun, 05 December 2004 10:41

Jag7799 wrote on Sat, 04 December 2004 21:21

I disagree somewhat

Chaser maybe, but the Soarer is so far removed from the ideology behind the Skyline its not funny. They both have two doors and are RWD turbo, the Skyline is designed as a fun car, the Soarer is designed as a luxo-barge that happens to be real fast.

yah.. but its not the soarers fault the skyline doesent perform well Smile
rx-3 ip
Regular

October 2004
Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Sun, 05 December 2004 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i must agreed with frank,
everyone has a different taste in cars , they are both good cars otherwise we won't be argueing which car is better.
i have ijz soarer because of the look only, others will have a different opinion , but what i tow behind the soarer is a fun car , go fast without being booked.
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Sun, 05 December 2004 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heres my little 2 cents

Toyota soarer, while being nice and luxury, having the power and the grunt, i believe after market parts aint as popular as the Skylines... i mean if you tried looking for body kits and all, the skyline has much more different styles than the soarers. Not to mention that they are very readily available from most places.

I kindda believe its also cheaper to maintain a skyline than a soarer, the RB series engines are exceptionally tough, while being good at that, most RB engines will fit in any skyline if not all... so you can buy a R33, then later on put in a RB26DETT, and that i believe will pull more than a soarer.

IN the other hand, the soarer as said was more luxurious, a car for some rich bastard (Well to me anyways Very Happy), it looks good at stock, and while modified, its exceptionally quick too. Body kits for a soarer? i havent heard of much, but i believe that a modded skyline R33 will look a bit better than a modded Soarer... i mean it does come down to personal taste. While Skyline have the "full on jap" feel inside and outside the car, the Soarer tends to have a more european luxury feel.

If i'd have to choose between a 88 Skyline R31s or a 88 Soarer, i think i'd go the Soarer, they tend to pull harder, looks meaner, less european feel, and great doriftor cars Very Happy

anyways, thats my 2 cents

Chopin

Psst, i would never under estimate a skyline, they always seem to be able to just pull more pwr out of their arse.

[Updated on: Sun, 05 December 2004 01:05]

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Sun, 05 December 2004 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alliance_22 wrote on Sun, 05 December 2004 12:04

Heres my little 2 cents

Toyota soarer, while being nice and luxury, having the power and the grunt, i believe after market parts aint as popular as the Skylines... i mean if you tried looking for body kits and all, the skyline has much more different styles than the soarers. Not to mention that they are very readily available from most places.

I kindda believe its also cheaper to maintain a skyline than a soarer, the RB series engines are exceptionally tough, while being good at that, most RB engines will fit in any skyline if not all... so you can buy a R33, then later on put in a RB26DETT, and that i believe will pull more than a soarer.

IN the other hand, the soarer as said was more luxurious, a car for some rich bastard (Well to me anyways Very Happy), it looks good at stock, and while modified, its exceptionally quick too. Body kits for a soarer? i havent heard of much, but i believe that a modded skyline R33 will look a bit better than a modded Soarer... i mean it does come down to personal taste. While Skyline have the "full on jap" feel inside and outside the car, the Soarer tends to have a more european luxury feel.

If i'd have to choose between a 88 Skyline R31s or a 88 Soarer, i think i'd go the Soarer, they tend to pull harder, looks meaner, less european feel, and great doriftor cars Very Happy

anyways, thats my 2 cents

Chopin

Psst, i would never under estimate a skyline, they always seem to be able to just pull more pwr out of their arse.

ACTUALLY
the 1jz makes same power and more torque and has a way better torque/power curve than the rb26dett.. I beleive it responds nicer to larger turbo's(less lag)
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Sun, 05 December 2004 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
normally i would always go for toyota but this time i would have to go for the skyline cos finding a manual soarer would be a bitch and i hate auto
and they also look like a smothed out dogpoo on wheels but thats just my opinion
T_is4turbo
Regular

October 2004
Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Sun, 05 December 2004 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hhmmm.... Skylines or Soarers (R33 GTS T or JZZ30 series)

not that i hate skylines nor do i love then, but i just prefer a Soarer because (to me) its got that sexy smooth body, with a very comfortable interior, and if anyone has the GT-L version it has more gagets and extra options that u wouldn't find in a Skyline, the 1jz engine can also handle more abuse and overpowered the rb25det.

Reason why the Soarer are so damn low in price is becuase 95% of them are fucken AUTOMATICs, and i dont know about everyone else, but i m not interested in purchasing a turbo automatic ........... again Very Happy and yes its heavy but theres a clip of the 9.88sec Soarer on this forum and a few fast Soarers over in the states so it does has potential.

Whereas the skylines are popular and high in price because of its evil twin brother, the GTRs, and everybody knows it, popularity adds value even if ur his mate! and over in japan most pro drag cars are GTRs NOT the GTS-T.

Both cars look and perform like shit in standard form but with a FMIC, exhaust, boost, big deep dish rims, bodykit, lowered and waxed. They both look and perform good, its a matter of choice, experience, influence and taste.

GO THE SOARERS Rolling Eyes
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Sun, 05 December 2004 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Heres my little 2 cents

This is a good point except I think there are a lot more performance parts for r33's than soarers as I have seen quite a few different bodykits for jzz30's.
Quote:

The internals of the 1jz are far superior to the rb25. It is more of a competitor to the rb26 as you mention. Also, I agree with Johal except about the spooling thing. I doubt there would be any measurable difference as the ability to spool a turbo is just about getting the air in and out of the head and into the exhaust wheel. As there is only 100cc difference between 6 cylinders and both have modern design twin cam heads I can't see much difference there. However, the longer stroke usually helps spool turbos, so does anyone know the bore and stroke of an rb26?

Quote:

Haven't been in many Euro cars, but I felt the r33 interior to be very bland very much like standard falcadores. The Soarer is beatiful inside. Couldn't pick one thing wrong with it.

The soarer has a great engine but it is a fair bit heavier than an r33. If I was looking for a performance car I think I would choose an r33 over a jzz30 eg. if I wanted to run 12's on a moderate budget. However, if I wasn't after that much speed then the jzz30 would be my choice.

Personal opinion at the end of the day though.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Mon, 06 December 2004 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Sun, 05 December 2004 16:36

Heres my little 2 cents

This is a good point except I think there are a lot more performance parts for r33's than soarers as I have seen quite a few different bodykits for jzz30's.
Quote:

The internals of the 1jz are far superior to the rb25. It is more of a competitor to the rb26 as you mention. Also, I agree with Johal except about the spooling thing. I doubt there would be any measurable difference as the ability to spool a turbo is just about getting the air in and out of the head and into the exhaust wheel. As there is only 100cc difference between 6 cylinders and both have modern design twin cam heads I can't see much difference there. However, the longer stroke usually helps spool turbos, so does anyone know the bore and stroke of an rb26?

Quote:

Haven't been in many Euro cars, but I felt the r33 interior to be very bland very much like standard falcadores. The Soarer is beatiful inside. Couldn't pick one thing wrong with it.

The soarer has a great engine but it is a fair bit heavier than an r33. If I was looking for a performance car I think I would choose an r33 over a jzz30 eg. if I wanted to run 12's on a moderate budget. However, if I wasn't after that much speed then the jzz30 would be my choice.

Personal opinion at the end of the day though.

I disagree.. skylines have a big lag hole in their torque curve beause they have a larger pair of turbo's than 1jz stockers
but it has also been shown that 1jz's spool up bigger turbo's quicker, im not sure why? but skylines are always rather laggy from what ive seen
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Mon, 06 December 2004 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually now I think of it, my mates rb20 non turbo doesn't really move at all until the upper rpm range, also my other mates rb20det with GT28 is pretty laggy but these are the 2L versions and that turbo is rated at 450hp so it isn't exactly small.

I don't know?? Smile Haven't been in a car with an RB26 so can't compare really.
DRiiFT_King
Regular

November 2004
Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Mon, 06 December 2004 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 33 is a ugly car, but the soarer is worse, both engines are good , the rb20 model is better then the rb25 model, the soarer has all that luxary crap, but to american and out dated
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Mon, 06 December 2004 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRiiFT_King wrote on Mon, 06 December 2004 17:00

the soarer has all that luxary crap, but to american and out dated

unlike an ae86 right? Rolling Eyes
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Mon, 06 December 2004 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolla Boy wrote on Sat, 04 December 2004 00:10

I'd shop around and find an awesome R32 GTR...

w3rd! Nod
DRiiFT_King
Regular

November 2004
Re: skylines or soarers which would u pick Mon, 06 December 2004 22:47 Go to previous message
Chris Davey wrote on Mon, 06 December 2004 19:03

DRiiFT_King wrote on Mon, 06 December 2004 17:00

the soarer has all that luxary crap, but to american and out dated

unlike an ae86 right? Rolling Eyes

what is so american about ae86's?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:new ae86 board
Next Topic:To those who wanted Asian DVD's this weekend
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:44:12 UTC 2024