Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Removing & replacing window winder handles?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Removing & replacing window winder handles? Fri, 03 December 2004 09:53 Go to next message
Can someone please enlighten me on an easy method to remove the small metal clip holding the window winders on? And also how to replace this clip when done?

I've actually done this a few times, my current method involves using a screwdriver, needle nose pliers & alot of screwing around. Surely there must be an easier way???

EDIT: Doesn't look like it Sad Search yielded the same methods i'm already using...

[Updated on: Fri, 03 December 2004 10:03]

Send a private message to this user    
RA23_Sean
Regular

May 2002

Re: Removing & replacing window winder handles? Fri, 03 December 2004 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used to use a rag to get the clip off the window winders on my RA23. Fold the rag and run it between the trim and the handle. Sort of like flossing your teeth.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Removing & replacing window winder handles? Fri, 03 December 2004 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
piece of wire with a tight hook at one end to remove
to replace, have circlip sitting in the slot, get it in place then push it on all the way with a flat screwdriva
alex_ta22
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Removing & replacing window winder handles? Fri, 03 December 2004 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is a special tool for it, its a flat piece of metal with a U shape cutout at one end, and you just slide it behind the handle and it pops off the clip
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Removing & replacing window winder handles? Fri, 03 December 2004 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i use a flat head screw driver
just push it on the end of the clip and wind and it will pop off
gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: Removing & replacing window winder handles? Fri, 03 December 2004 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As mentioned, there is a special tool.. Usually double ended as the size changes in some cars. Personally I don't have one, used to use one when I was a vinyl repairer, I know use a small screwdriver or a knife.

Basically wind the handle around and wait until it catches on the spring clip, then push it slowly off.

As for putting it back on, just clip it onto the handle, all the way, the push it onto the shaft. It'll clip back in place with no worries.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Removing & replacing window winder handles? Fri, 03 December 2004 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Use the special tool.It doesn't push the clip off fully and so won't go sailing off into the ether. it just expands it enough to remove.Kinda looks like this

| | These 2 lines should be at the rh outside edge 4 some reason it wont
| | do it in here
|/ \ |

With a bent handle below.

Remember which way the clip came off, open end of the clip, where you would insert the tool should be opposite the handle side (the side you would hook with wire.)

[Updated on: Fri, 03 December 2004 12:25]

matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Removing & replacing window winder handles? Fri, 03 December 2004 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Circlip pliers (i'm assuming that what you need) can be had for $5 from some places. Dunno what the interstate equivalent of "the warehouse" is, but yeah, that where I saw them.
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: Removing & replacing window winder handles? Sat, 04 December 2004 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use a paper clip bent to pull them off

then to put them back on use a flat blade screwy to hold the clip out from the handle, the crown ones have lip that the clips moves into and then just use a metal ruler to push it down
gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: Removing & replacing window winder handles? Sun, 05 December 2004 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll say it again, because a lot of people aren't reading properly...

YOU DON'T NEED TO PUSH THE CLIP BACK ON WITH THE HANDLE IN PLACE. You can push the clip in place on the handle whilst it is off the door. Most handles have a piece of plastic on one half of the shaft that prevents you from putting the clip on the wrong side. You push the clip on the handle, then push the handle on the door. Easy as piss.
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Removing & replacing window winder handles? Sun, 05 December 2004 11:29 Go to previous message
Thanks for the tips, and now I know it's called a circlip Razz Yeah I thought there must be a tool made for the job since panelbeaters & the like must deal with them everyday.

Anyway I went with a bobby pin, unhooked it & the clip didn't go flying as per my usual efforts Wink Now I need to think of a way to fix the door latch...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:JZX81 Chassis number
Next Topic:Polished Alloy
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 07:57:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049378871917725 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.