Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Fri, 03 December 2004 09:59 Go to next message
When is this thing going to be ready?
Looks mad.
Does anyone know who owns it and what sate it is in now?

http://www.option1garage.com.au/images/brett_3.jpg
http://www.option1garage.com.au/images/brett_1.jpg
http://www.option1garage.com.au/images/brett_2.jpg
http://www.option1garage.com.au/images/brett_4.jpg
http://www.option1garage.com.au/images/brett_5.jpg
http://www.option1garage.com.au/images/brett_6.jpg
  Send a private message to this user    
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Fri, 03 December 2004 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Fri, 03 December 2004 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice body
shit engine
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Sat, 04 December 2004 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shit engine??
Why cause its not a Toyota.
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Sat, 04 December 2004 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indeed!
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Sat, 04 December 2004 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
puttin an sr is best thing u can do to a sprinter Smile
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Sat, 04 December 2004 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sideshow wrote on Sat, 04 December 2004 14:06

puttin an sr is best thing u can do to a sprinter Smile

um, no.

heavy
ass
shit

ca18 is a better choice if your SET on a nissan
revs better
lighter
nicer

"cant drift with a 4age? why not whack a turbo nissan engine in?"

Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Sat, 04 December 2004 03:14]

ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Sat, 04 December 2004 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
true
lol @ people who loves their sr's
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Sat, 04 December 2004 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wonder if those seats are staying? Rolling Eyes
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Sat, 04 December 2004 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SR20 would be awesome with the right setting.
Doesn't have to be a 4A... every fucken time. Would get very boring.
I recntly saw a video from japan with a 20B single turbo AE86 that had 600ps.
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Sat, 04 December 2004 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Modified firewall engine very far back compared to any toyota engine placed into a ae86 that i have seen , gearbox/shifter housed to get the correct tailshaft alignment . Just the bare basics to run the engine in the bay , light weight materials used , i would have to say it way lighter than what you think .

And just look at more manufactures , there all going for 53/47 or greater in front engined rear wheel drives . There all moving away from 50/50 weight split for better steering feel and more constant weight shift loads to control the car . With out having that vage unweighted feeling until the wheel is corner loaded .

Also i see nobody spotted the fact that it looks to have no rear shocks ? Might be irs converted as well ?

That might be the fastest ae86 in this country for sure depending on other areas of the conversion
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Sat, 04 December 2004 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woah
IRS? u think? if it is its going to be a very nice car.
my bet is that its just rolling shell at the moment tho.

i se your point about the weight dist adam, but with the ae86 and its special w.dist, a heavy front engine is going to produce even more understeer is it not? i understand the sr is moved back on the chassis with the GB, but still?

Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Sat, 04 December 2004 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm sure the roll cage would help with the weight balance.
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Sat, 04 December 2004 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
didnt someone say once b4 that the sr20det and 4age are around the same weight as the sr20 block was alloy?
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Sat, 04 December 2004 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dunno, but the SR20 isn't that heavy. Not as heavy as you would think anyway.
Jon B
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Sat, 04 December 2004 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
firewall looks stock to me and the rear shocks probly hadn't bin installed yet

[Updated on: Sat, 04 December 2004 09:49]

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Sat, 04 December 2004 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey isnt that the manifold that has the looks but is actually just a rice up item? if its the one I think it is it has a really bad collector design.

Oh and Evan if you think an SR isnt that heavy get a mate the same size as you and pick up a 4age and then attempt to pick up an SR engine and see how you go. I think its obscenly heavy for how weak it is factory.

[Updated on: Sat, 04 December 2004 10:42]

improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Sat, 04 December 2004 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adding weight to the front end , if only a small amount seems to get far greater turn in grip than stock weight level if the weight is correctly positioned lower and the suspension revised accordingly .

I have the problem that there is no under-steer , as fast as you can turn the wheel the car turns in . Its the rear which up have to worry about exiting corners applying hundreds of newton meters of torque . The result has be in my car ,turn-in even in the wet feels much more solid {like a german car} than the stocker daily driver ae86 . But i have added camber and caster , plus relocated arm locations for more camber scrub ,extra car width and wheel base , and less turns lock to lock , and more lock . So i cannot really comment on just dropping in the engine without all the other modification for safe traveling at speed .

Even travelling in friends ae86s with all the normal toyota modified suspension like trd etc there seems to understeer much greater than weight transfer to large amounts of oversteer . Might be fun be sure isnt fast , a neutral handling ae86 will always have a much higher cornering speed , as a lotus elise driver at Sandown found out going around the outside of him at turn 6-7 pushing 160-180ks mid corner .

See you next weekend Garth , then you might understand the level of modifications that these other sr20/ca18 ae86s will need to handle . And i still havent finished the next stage , multi link rear suspension .
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Sat, 04 December 2004 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
improvedae86 wrote on Sat, 04 December 2004 22:09

Adding weight to the front end , if only a small amount seems to get far greater turn in grip than stock weight level if the weight is correctly positioned lower and the suspension revised accordingly .

I have the problem that there is no under-steer , as fast as you can turn the wheel the car turns in . Its the rear which up have to worry about exiting corners applying hundreds of newton meters of torque . The result has be in my car ,turn-in even in the wet feels much more solid {like a german car} than the stocker daily driver ae86 . But i have added camber and caster , plus relocated arm locations for more camber scrub ,extra car width and wheel base , and less turns lock to lock , and more lock . So i cannot really comment on just dropping in the engine without all the other modification for safe traveling at speed .

Even travelling in friends ae86s with all the normal toyota modified suspension like trd etc there seems to understeer much greater than weight transfer to large amounts of oversteer . Might be fun be sure isnt fast , a neutral handling ae86 will always have a much higher cornering speed , as a lotus elise driver at Sandown found out going around the outside of him at turn 6-7 pushing 160-180ks mid corner .

See you next weekend Garth , then you might understand the level of modifications that these other sr20/ca18 ae86s will need to handle . And i still havent finished the next stage , multi link rear suspension .

so what your saying is that to run an sr20/ca18 powered car properly as you are doing/have done requires a lot of modification as to the cars original chassis design and suspension setup. i agree.

i agree that centering the added weight of an SR20 in the front at a lower centre of gravity would help the cars general 'skittery' feel at turn in. i too have found that with the 'tuned toyota' setup that the car tends to 'skate' at initial turn in with the light weight of the 4age. but that said, a sr20 just 'dropped in' with no suspension mods to accomodate the extra torque/weight will handle worse in the long run. i think you agree from what you said.

i also couldnt agree more about the neutral handling ae86 comment, oversteer setup is showy and fun but certainly not fast. i have found that the people who ride passenger in my car are astonished on how solid she feels, especially in the wet, on hard corners, even with the 2 way lsd in, the car doesnt seem to be 'on knifes edge' as most cars would be in that hard susp. setup. But, that said, i havent even come close to the amount of modification you have done to your ae86. so i can understand how much the chassis has to offer in that respect.

nice comment about the elise, that car has a serious lack of power though.

next weekend we will surely be having a chat about your car and dont worry, i fully understand the level of modification required to run an SR20/CA18 in an AE86 and that in itself is my whole point.

as for IRS setup, are you going to utilise the hot staff irs 'cage' bracket mount? or otherwise?
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Sat, 04 December 2004 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the elise 220 isnt a slow car , its power to weight ratio is very good {i think its 700kg to 220hp ?} and looks crap in orange too .

As for the hot staff one , to me it really is pointless changing a multi link , back to a double wishbone set up ? why not just make a double wishbone set up to start with ? There tons of cad programs to work out all the requirements . I just dont see the reason behind the hot staff one ? its solidly mounted for a start so could never really benifit a large torque loading or to add a better ride to a road car .

I want to build it using as cheap as parts as i can find like the rest of the car , also parts which are available everywhere . And make it bolt on with no modification to the body like everything else so it can be easly transfered to another shell if required . Also will make it easier to do again to another car if required to . I cannot wait till i take next year off to finish some of these conversion i have been wanting to do .
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Mon, 06 December 2004 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SR20 turbo engine and gearbox weighs approx 9kg more than a 4AGE engine and gearbox... they are all alloy... 4AGE's are cast iron...

[Updated on: Mon, 06 December 2004 08:21]

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Mon, 06 December 2004 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont even come close to beleiving that, that's saying that a 4AGE weighs more than an SR20, what a complete load of crap.

I wish someone could produce some real weight figures for the long motors with everything attached
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Mon, 06 December 2004 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i said 9kg more... SR20 gearboxes are much lighter then T50 gearboxes anyway
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Mon, 06 December 2004 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no way in hell, I have moved them both around multiple times and the T-50 would have to weigh only just over half of a gearbox thats meant to be behind an SR-20det, even SR-20 N/A box is heaps more.

Somebody else want to confirm this?

I have a dry T-50 laying around which I could weigh, I also have 2 4AGEs and my mates SR20 handy but no way to weigh them.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Mon, 06 December 2004 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think with an all alloy sr20 would not be much heavier than an cast iron ca18det however just looking at the aftermarket parts available for sr20s as apposed to ca18's then that ca18's are older also the internal strenth of of sr20's and who cares about revs when driftin, circuit racing and street applications favour midrange torque. Once you look at it that way it all starts to add up in favour of the sr20. I know this wont please the ae86 purists or the ca18 fans but it all just makes sense that if your gonna go nissan in an 86 u might aswell go for the big daddy. Thats my 2 cents

[Updated on: Mon, 06 December 2004 10:27]

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Mon, 06 December 2004 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
apparently its heavier but I can't say for sure. I know one thing for sure though, the SR-20 dwarfs the 4age in terms of physical size, which would explain the weight difference
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Mon, 06 December 2004 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im sure option garage have no idea what they are doing...
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Mon, 06 December 2004 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All my information is from HPi Issue 42... I am not making anything up...

It makes several direct quotes about the 430ps AE86

"the handy thing about the SR20, is that being all alloy it weighs little more than the 4AGE"

And about the handling... this car was set up for track use and set for understeering characteristics

"the car is still very strong on oversteer, even with its 10" wide tyres"

Remember guys, I have never doubted your knowledge in all things AE86 and 4AGE but you need to realise that not everyone is a doctorate of physics, or an automotive engineer...

I know that I am in no way any sort of vehicle technician... I based my info from a magazine, If it is biased and I have made un appropriate comments I apologise...
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Mon, 06 December 2004 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
79rollaboy

You can also see that ae86 on one of there dvd's with in car , sliding allover the track , it cannot even keep up with the civic infront though corners . Must be a drift set up which , or a normal rock hard jap track set up with no mechanical grip at all . I was hoping that car would have been more special , but wasn't .
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Mon, 06 December 2004 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
english adam, english.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Sweet SR20DET AE86 on option 1 garage. Mon, 06 December 2004 13:38 Go to previous message
the gage adam mention the cage
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:To those who wanted Asian DVD's this weekend
Next Topic:engine shipping costs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 03:26:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077600479125977 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.